What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Learned a new hot tub lesson  (Read 6785 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Learned a new hot tub lesson
« on: July 19, 2004, 06:06:59 pm »
Greetings all.

The end of the first week of our new hot tub ownership ended with a lesson learned. We left town on Friday and invited friends to stay at the house and enjoy the new tub, take care of the cats, etc., etc. The friends came over on Thursday night and I went over the tub use with them--no problem. When we got back on Sunday, we found the temp had been pegged at 104 (we had settled in on 95 during the week.) Needless to say, we couldn't enjoy the tub at all Sunday. As a matter of fact, cooling the tub is quite a chore under this North Florida sun. I've propped the cover up a bit on the leeward side (as opposed to the windward side) hoping to vent some of the heat plus I'm going to get a 20 lb. bag of ice and dump in if it's not dropped by tonight. (It will be interesting to see what kind of effect 20 lbs. of ice has on 450 gal. of water.) Also, the water was a bit cloudy after being blue-clear on Friday. I spoke with my friend who told me that he and his daughter were in the tub Friday evening and, to their knowledge, did not change the tub temp plus they added 2 tsp. of dichlor afterwards. I shocked it good on Sunday afternoon so hopefully it will be clearer tonight. I also found a pair of hoop earrings (his daughter's) on the tub left from Friday evening. There was a rust spot left on the acrylic but fortunately is rubbed right off.

The biggest lesson learned was to lock the temp settings. If the temp is good enough for us, it's good enough for anyone else. Even now, 95 is locked and loaded.

Live and learn......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

Learned a new hot tub lesson
« on: July 19, 2004, 06:06:59 pm »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Re: Learned a new hot tub lesson
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 08:41:44 pm »
Thanks for the lesson.

If you leave the cover off and run the pumps and air the temperature should drop.

chaz

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 08:57:06 pm »
You may just want to stick the hose in and fill while opening up the drain at the same time if it gets too full.  Just make sure the Dichlor has burned off or you will kill the grass.  This may help fix the cloudy water as well if your other ideas don't work well.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 09:03:06 am »
An important lesson here for me. We are about to have friends stay over and take care of the house, dogs, pool and yes hot tub.  I guess I've got some locking to do. I also will need some wife management here 'cause I know that I'm gonna be worried about my baby (and I ai'nt talkin' 'bout the kids lol)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 09:03:35 am by doodoo »

spaguyohio

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 09:27:36 am »
Earrings? Cute. My neighbor had his grandson over for the first time since they got their spa, and when he asked what it was, grandma said it was grandpa's wishing well.

Early next morning they were awakened to hear gleeful cheers from outside their bedroom. Seems honorable grandson decided he too wanted to make a wish, and found grandpa's penny jar and was tossing handfuls of change into the spa! When they got over the initial shock and stopped him, they had to ask. What were you wishing for?

ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST!

Grandma quickly took the little one out to breakfast, while grandpa cleaned out the spa.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 10:45:57 am »
An added note: most people who do not own a spa will cloud the water and/or foam up a spa upon the first use.

The reasons are:
soap from the laundry left in their suits,
the deep-cleaning effect of soaking in hot water as all the pores open and are cleaned out by the swirling water.
Also, the simple tips that we have all learned:
not tracking junk into the tub,
not letting the towel drop in,
not dunking your hair/head (shampoo)
not leaving the lid up on a windy day,
not letting the kids rough house (extra persperation)
etc. etc.

Any time I leave the tub for another to use, I plan on a water change when I return.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 01:02:28 pm »
I'm going to have to take a dissenting opinion here. You have enlisted someone to take care of your animals, house and hot tub, but you are going to limit their access to it. It seems to me, the thing to do would be to leave them with enough information on how to properly take care of the hot tub. I mean was the tv on a different chanel when you got back? What kind of nerve they must have, taking care of the animals and house makes them think they have a right to change channels and spa temps! And don't give me the "it's not the same thing" stuff  either. It's the exact same thing.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 01:28:38 pm »
I know I know Wisoki.  But we're talking about my baby here.....I'll be patient when we leave my baby in the care of others.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 01:29:25 pm by doodoo »

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 01:39:04 pm »
Wisoki, I agree completely...  except...  

it's not the same thing ;)
time to change the TV channel: O.5 secs
time to drop a spa temp 2 degrees: ?? secs

Included in that ever so important information on how to properly take care of the hot tub, should be...
"if you change the temp of the spa please reset to xxx degrees when you are done".
At least that way you have a chance of hopping into your tub at your temp upon your return.
e

PPOL

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 02:57:06 pm »
If your tub is equipped with an air jet system, that will help reduce the temperature.

I always find it funny when customers call about thier tubs being too hot.  These things are MADE to retain heat, cooling them down is a chore.  

Leave the cover off, use the air jet system, worst case, trip the breaker for the heater for a while.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 03:03:35 pm »
A partial water change as Chas suggested will probably help with the cloudy water and hi temp.   My water out of the hose is 75 this time of year.   If I take a quick 50-100 gallons of water out and refill with water from the hose, the temp usually drops to around 90 and looks clearer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 08:46:43 am »
Thanks to all for all the responses.  As you may have read in another thread, I've done my first water change so earlier issues are moot except I have locked my temp settings and here's my philosophy:  It's my tub and I take care of it.  If the temp is good enough for me and my family, enjoy it as is or not.  

As for keeping it cooler, I've taken 2 16 oz. water bottles (with water) and have put them in 2 foam coozies each...one on the top and one on the bottom of each one.  I lay these sideways on the leeward (as opposed to windward) side of the tub which raises the cover just enough to let some heat escape.  This is working for me.  Just opening the spa a while before use also allows the temp to drop.  BTW, we have it set at 94 and it typically runs between 95 and 97 during use.  Leave it to say we like the extended sessions as my naps in the tub at night attest.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 08:47:14 am »
Get new friends to watch your house.

If you ask them to not change the temp and they don't listen then they are not respectful.  What if you had cats and dogs that needed meds at a certain time? Or sensitive plants that needed water of sun movement?

"Gee, you asked me to take care of the tub and I forgot. Also, I gave your dog a weeks worth of pills at once to ge it over with"!

I've gone on two 1-week vacations since owning the tub and had 2 different friends housesit our cats/plants/tub (don't want to over-burden 1 group) and never had a problem.

Tip, though, ask them to shock it the day before you come home!

-Ed

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 10:05:19 am »
Just have another kid.

That way, you won't be able to get away on vacation for a long time, and it won't be an issue.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

windsurfdog

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 12:02:50 pm »
Just have another kid.

That way, you won't be able to get away on vacation for a long time, and it won't be an issue.

;)

Thanks, but.....I'm trying to quit.
Certainly another case where the cure is worse than the disease! :) ;) :D ;D
8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 12:02:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42