What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Down to the Final Two...  (Read 7069 times)

monkeyc40

Down to the Final Two...
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:36:37 pm »
First...thank you for all of the information posted on this site...it has been very helpful.

Through research, I narrowed it down to Caldera, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Bullfrog.  There are dealers for each brand nearby.  As you all strongly recommend, we scheduled wet tests in each model.  This quickly narrowed it down to the final two...Bullfrog and Hot Springs.  We liked both dealers, but felt the Bullfrog dealer was more knowledgable about his brand and others.  We are looking at the Bulllfrog A8 or possibly the Hot Springs Grandee NXT.  Both appear to be great hot tubs.  We loved the Moto Massage in the Hot Springs, but liked several of the jet options in the Bullfrog as well.  We like the look of both and both seem energy efficient.  We did like the ability to configure each seat on the Bullfrog and my wife enjoyed the lounger better on the Bullfrog than on the Hot Springs.  Price is similar on these two models.  I would say we may be leaning towards the Bullfrog, but wanted to get all of your insight regarding these two brands specifically.  Thanks again for all of your help.

Hot Tub Forum

Down to the Final Two...
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:36:37 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Down to the Final Two...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:14 pm »
You've done the proper research and testing so assuming both deals seem good, go with your gut instinct as to which you think will serve you best for the next 10+ years, you can't go wrong with either choice.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:45:29 pm »
Plus one!   Both good brands. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:50:34 pm »
All the brands you looked at are highest of quality. Seems like the wet test and the BF dealer you feel most comfortable with. Sounds like you did your research and found the fit for you.  Go with your gut. Really can’t make a bad decision on any of the finalists so in your case I would go Bullfrog

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 12:57:52 am »
Both are good.  If you go with the Bullfrog, get the circ if you can, I believe it makes a huge difference in keeping your pH from rising, which can be a huge factor in enjoying easy breezy water care.

Grandee NXT owner here.  Love it.  My wife and I use it every night!  If you have questions about it, happy to elaborate. 

monkeyc40

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 11:21:12 am »
Both are good.  If you go with the Bullfrog, get the circ if you can, I believe it makes a huge difference in keeping your pH from rising, which can be a huge factor in enjoying easy breezy water care.

Grandee NXT owner here.  Love it.  My wife and I use it every night!  If you have questions about it, happy to elaborate.

Thanks for the info.  I would definitely get the circ pump.  What led you to get the HS over the BF...just personal preference?  I love the lounger in the HS, but it just doesn't fit my wife well.  That is one of the reasons we are looking at the Grandee...we both love the dual MotoMassages and no lounger in that model.  Anything else I should think about in your opinion?

monkeyc40

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 11:28:27 am »
Thanks again for all of the great replies. 

One dealer mentioned an issue with stagnant water behind the jet packs on the BF tubs.  Is there any validity to that or just salesman talk? 

We liked the BF's ability to configure each seat and we aren't a big fan of all of the diverter valves all over some of the other brands.  The BF seems to have more dedicated power to each area and a more simplistic approach in getting it there. What would be a good price for a BF A8 with cover, lifter, ozone, circ pump, delivery etc?  I think they had it priced at $12900, but we really didn't get down to numbers just yet.

Also...this BF dealer also built outdoor landscape areas like pergolas, etc.  Is that normal or is this a red flag?  We were also looking at some of the surrounds from A&B Accessories...any opinion on those?

Appreciate the help.

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 01:03:10 am »

Thanks for the info.  I would definitely get the circ pump.  What led you to get the HS over the BF...just personal preference?  I love the lounger in the HS, but it just doesn't fit my wife well.  That is one of the reasons we are looking at the Grandee...we both love the dual MotoMassages and no lounger in that model.  Anything else I should think about in your opinion?

Always been a Hot Spring guy, I've just preferred their jets, water management, and style to anything else I've sold... which to this point is Bullfrog, Jacuzzi, and now Caldera.

They way I use my spa is jets for 10-15 minutes, then soak for for another 20.  Jets are important, but I love how large the Grandee is.  It is wide open, great for stretch or kids playing around.  Sounds stupid, but on the NXT, the lights on the outside are perfect for not stepping on rocks or bugs, plus it looks awesome.

Also, my kiddos learned their colors on the remote control.

Finally, we have the ACE system.  I've used that for the past 4 years, made my choice fairly easy for that reason alone.  :)

To address your other post, stagnant water wouldn't be an issue on either tubs.  I believe the old BF design had a huge problem, the new one... not so much.  They have addressed that.

I wouldn't be concerned about the BF dealer dabbling in other businesses, unless it causes his/her spa business service to tank.  We had a dealer that is what I call "Jack of all trades, masters of none."  They do everything...poorly IMO.  We specialize in hot tubs and Endless Pools.. done.  If you have a problem and are my customer, come to me... you probably have my cell #.

Last bit... A & B is an awesome company.  I know John, the owner, personally.  His team makes great products that are rock solid in durability.  He also stands behind his products if there is an issue... always a good trait ;)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 01:46:48 am »

I love a circ pump as much as the next guy, but how does a circ pump keep your PH from rising?  Makes no sense what so ever..   

Gravelydude

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 06:47:21 am »
I can speak to raising total alkalinity without raising PH in my pool.  Maybe this would be applicable to a hot tub as well?  I found that when I needed to raise the total alkalinity in my pool, but my PH was already in limits, the best way to do this was by aerating the pool.  I did this by running my pump constantly, and turning the jets upwards.  The aeration would actually result in a decrease in PH over time.  This was necessary for me after a drain and fill of my pool.  Perhaps this "aeration" with constant circulation would also decrease PH in a hot tub, or at least minimize rising PH?

Jack

castletonia

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 09:06:54 am »
Aeration causes pH to rise naturally without having any affect on total alkalinity.  The circulation pump will create significantly less aeration than a jet pump running on low speed therefore reducing the pH fluctuation.

Gravelydude

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 12:23:23 pm »
Ahhh .... I had this totally backwards.  Sorry.  Castletonia has it right.  So using a circulation pump (less aeration) instead of a jet pump (more aeration) will not have as much effect on PH?  That makes sense.  Thanks for fixing my screwup.

Jack

d00nut

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 12:49:34 pm »
I love a circ pump as much as the next guy, but how does a circ pump keep your PH from rising?  Makes no sense what so ever..

It makes perfect sense.  Something I've talk to Bullfrog about.  Air will cause your pH to rise.  In a Bullfrog spa, due to the lack of aeration valves (shut offs) you cannot stop air from being injected with normal circulation without a circ pump.  It's why they finally came out with a circ pump option in the 5 series this year, because it is a known problem.  Can cause some heartaches for certain customers. 

I normally sell some sort of boric acid for those customers that choose not to get a circ just to keep the pH stable.

It's the same problem with other spas, but you have the ability to shut off air. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:55:10 pm by d00nut »

monkeyc40

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 01:55:08 pm »

Always been a Hot Spring guy, I've just preferred their jets, water management, and style to anything else I've sold... which to this point is Bullfrog, Jacuzzi, and now Caldera.

They way I use my spa is jets for 10-15 minutes, then soak for for another 20.  Jets are important, but I love how large the Grandee is.  It is wide open, great for stretch or kids playing around.  Sounds stupid, but on the NXT, the lights on the outside are perfect for not stepping on rocks or bugs, plus it looks awesome.

Finally, we have the ACE system.  I've used that for the past 4 years, made my choice fairly easy for that reason alone.  :)

To address your other post, stagnant water wouldn't be an issue on either tubs.  I believe the old BF design had a huge problem, the new one... not so much.  They have addressed that.

I wouldn't be concerned about the BF dealer dabbling in other businesses, unless it causes his/her spa business service to tank.  We had a dealer that is what I call "Jack of all trades, masters of none."  They do everything...poorly IMO.  We specialize in hot tubs and Endless Pools.. done.  If you have a problem and are my customer, come to me... you probably have my cell #.

Last bit... A & B is an awesome company.  I know John, the owner, personally.  His team makes great products that are rock solid in durability.  He also stands behind his products if there is an issue... always a good trait ;)

Thanks again for the valuable information.  I haven't ruled out the Grandee, but the customization of the BF and the fact that my wife actually fits better in the lounger may push us to BF, which sounds like a great option.  The A8L is appears to be roughly the same size as the Grandee, which will be nice.  I think one more wet test will be the deciding factor.

Since you sold BF before...any recommendation on a fair price for the A8L with cover, lifter, ozone, circ pump, and delivery?  I'm not looking for a bargain deal, but don't want to overpay either.

We definitely play to use the A&B surround to enclose it in a bit more.  Thanks for all of your help.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 05:24:37 pm »

A very honest and fair answer, both tubs are great, for me I'm on the other end of the spectrum, Grandee is a great spa but for the life of me I cannot "stay put" in any of the seats, I literally float all over the place which is why the best pros on this site will ALWAYS recommend a wet test, Now of course you could take the same scenario and flip flop it of course which again is why you WET TEST lol in case you can't tell it's pretty important.  I also sell A&B accessories, yes some of them are expensive but if you want: Made in the USA, quality, longevity, and some beautiful spa accessories I would say A&B is def. the way to go, just like d00nut I'm very close with John the owner and he's absolutely top notch! Good Luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 05:24:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42