What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: It's January 2018, are the tubs on the showroom floor 2017 or 2018 models?  (Read 3651 times)

sleepwalker

Obviously the answer is dependent on the dealer, but unlike cars; it's not really obvious.

As evidenced by this thread: https://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,22436.0.html

I'm about $1200 off between my budget and the dealer's price. I'm wondering if the 2018 models have already landed in showrooms.

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
  It depends on how many they might have on the floor and what's in the whs.   I have a couple of 2017 with 2018s coming in still.  So it really depends.   With Bullfrog not a lot of changes from 17 to 18.

castletonia

Like Jim said, no universal answer here.  It all depends on what the dealer's inventory is and when the manufacturer started producing 2018's.  It's also irrelevant if there were no changes.  What brand or model are you looking at?

sleepwalker

Like Jim said, no universal answer here.  It all depends on what the dealer's inventory is and when the manufacturer started producing 2018's.  It's also irrelevant if there were no changes.  What brand or model are you looking at?

I'm looking Hot Springs Prodigy right now since I wet tested it and know I like it(currently have a broken old one) and it's 110v. Open to other options, just would need to wet test them. The Hot Springs dealer is the closest to my location.

I know the year isn't as relevant as say, a car, but all things being equal, I'd think the resale value of a 2018 would be higher than a 2017, so I'd prefer either a 2018 model or modest discount on the 2017 model.

d00nut

I'm looking Hot Springs Prodigy right now since I wet tested it and know I like it(currently have a broken old one) and it's 110v. Open to other options, just would need to wet test them. The Hot Springs dealer is the closest to my location.

I know the year isn't as relevant as say, a car, but all things being equal, I'd think the resale value of a 2018 would be higher than a 2017, so I'd prefer either a 2018 model or modest discount on the 2017 model.

I got to see the 2018 Prodigy and other Highlife's at the conference last week.  They changed the panels to make them all super easy to pop off, similar to the NXT counterpart.  This should have absolutely no affect on you deciding between 2017 and 2018...

However...

They added a new logo light, which doesn't sound all that exciting, but it has some really neat diagnostic features.  The old one did too, but this one is that times 10.  It also looks pretty nice (similar to NXT.)  Actually, it looks a bit nicer than the NXT's and has more function.

Lastly, they added a touch screen as their control panel.  It operates identical to the NXT series, but it is NOT a remote, it is hardwired.  To be honest, I love this.  The interface is rocking.

Now, all of this doesn't really change your experience, but the 2018's are certainly cooler.  It did go up in price, so you should be able to get a better deal on the 2017  ;)

sleepwalker

I got to see the 2018 Prodigy and other Highlife's at the conference last week.  They changed the panels to make them all super easy to pop off, similar to the NXT counterpart.  This should have absolutely no affect on you deciding between 2017 and 2018...

However...

They added a new logo light, which doesn't sound all that exciting, but it has some really neat diagnostic features.  The old one did too, but this one is that times 10.  It also looks pretty nice (similar to NXT.)  Actually, it looks a bit nicer than the NXT's and has more function.

Lastly, they added a touch screen as their control panel.  It operates identical to the NXT series, but it is NOT a remote, it is hardwired.  To be honest, I love this.  The interface is rocking.

Now, all of this doesn't really change your experience, but the 2018's are certainly cooler.  It did go up in price, so you should be able to get a better deal on the 2017  ;)

Thanks, super relevant info!

The Wizard of Spas

I'd also like to add that I don't know if there is such a thing as 2017 vs 2018 models:  Most manufacturers don't up and completely revamp units based on calendar years.  They *might* add something / change something, but if they do its usually minor or unnoticeable.  I am speaking in broad terms here so I am sure I can be incorrect, but this is been my understanding of the industry as a whole...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
I'd also like to add that I don't know if there is such a thing as 2017 vs 2018 models:  Most manufacturers don't up and completely revamp units based on calendar years.  They *might* add something / change something, but if they do its usually minor or unnoticeable.  I am speaking in broad terms here so I am sure I can be incorrect, but this is been my understanding of the industry as a whole...

Very true!

Most companies will add more fancy things to a spa. For instance a new topside, new style ozone, added lights, bells and whistles or a new water features to give a good reason to the dealers for a price increase.  Like what d00nut mentioned as an example with Hot Springs.   And I am not just singling them out, they all do it.     I think sometimes it is needed, specially if a specific level of spa within a brand has become a bad seller or a dog on a showroom floor.  Then it's time for a fresh coat of paint. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Sometimes there truly is a full redesign, often they are "refreshed" to varying degrees (as J-Jim mentioned) and sometimes its pretty much rolled over with almost no change. At this point your dealer should know what changes a particular 2018 model has coming.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

sleepwalker

However...

Yep, you're right. The price I was quoted in Dec. went up around $200. Turns out that's the difference between the 2017 and 2018s for this model.

The 2017 I wet tested is actually now available, but from the looks of it, I'm basically getting the covermate 1 for free and maybe an extra $50 off the price I was originally quoted for the 2017, so I think I'd rather go with a new one since I didn't really like the covermate 1 anyway.

At this point, it's probably just worth getting my tub serviced for $300, so that's my plan. I did really like the moto-massage though.

The Wizard of Spas

Re: It's January 2018, are the tubs on the showroom floor 2017 or 2018 models?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 07:53:47 pm »

However...

Yep, you're right. The price I was quoted in Dec. went up around $200. Turns out that's the difference between the 2017 and 2018s for this model.

The 2017 I wet tested is actually now available, but from the looks of it, I'm basically getting the covermate 1 for free and maybe an extra $50 off the price I was originally quoted for the 2017, so I think I'd rather go with a new one since I didn't really like the covermate 1 anyway.

At this point, it's probably just worth getting my tub serviced for $300, so that's my plan. I did really like the moto-massage though.

That is a logical conclusion.  New = Least likely to have issues short-term.  The dealer, and not to besmirch them or indicate they are disreputable in any manner, can always have an "out" when its a demo if something was to go wrong.  And usually demos go for a cost difference that is substantial enough for you to be able to levee any issues with your fantastic discount.  If you feel the pricing is close enough for that extra layer of protection, your answer is evident then.

sleepwalker

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 01:18:51 am »
Welp. The water and rat droppings in my equipment bay motivated me to get the new Prodigy. Figured refurbishing my old one was going to run at least $800. It had a good run.

I ended up paying $8650 with no cover lifter or steps. The 2017 floor model was available with the covermate 1 for $8200, but for me that price difference wasn't enough to go with the one that's been used for a year.

Was hoping to pay less, but I suppose I'll learn the real value of the deal when/if I need service.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 01:18:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42