What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Large tub recommendation  (Read 8396 times)

Asha

Re: Large tub recommendation
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I also agree with your price assessment on the Salina.  It seams to be a great deal.  Not having spent as much time researching it as I have the bullfrog spa, I’m now playing Catch-up.  According to the dealer I need to deside by Sunday.  I am looking to buy soon, however I’m not interested in deciding that soon.  I understand what tman is saying about frame material.  I’m just worried about a wood frame.  I live deep in the woods where in the spring and summer everything is always damp.  Wood decays much faster hear than most places.  I’m new to hot tubbing so stop if I’m incorrect or have been steered in the wrong direction.  I’m also  concerned with the Salina using a poly sheet bottom.  My understanding is it can be compared to a thick plastic bag, where bull frogs is ridged plastic.   Maybe it shouldn’t be a concern of mine. Thanks again for all the feedback.  It’s a major purchase for me, and I can only afford to do this once in the next 10-15yrs.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:32 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 09:48:45 pm »
Bullfrog uses a Full pan bottom on there r and a series not sure about the x series. The thick trash bag like bottom is more what you will find on the vacanza series tubs by Caldera. The Paradise uses a plastic bottom but not a bottom pan like what is on there utopia series tubs. There is no reason why you won’t get 15-20 years out of that Caldera Spa. Same thing can be said about the Bullfrog and about 10 or so other brands. I would pick by what fits you the best. As far as until “Sunday” that’s just salesmanship trying to get you to sign. I don’t sell that way. The closest I do to that is it’s a leftover 2017 when it’s gone it’s gone. I know a lot of Caldera dealers had to get there early buy orders in but that had to be done by last week. The only reason for using a by Sunday thing is if the dealer is placing a order on Monday and he is trying to fill a truck

Asha

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 10:12:09 pm »
Thanks. That’s quality information. I’m pretty confident either brand will fit my needs.  I’m going to revisit jacuzzi and marquis. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 10:34:26 pm »
Thanks. That’s quality information. I’m pretty confident either brand will fit my needs.  I’m going to revisit jacuzzi and marquis.

Marquis is another solid tub. Any questions on that tub shoot away. I also carry that brand

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 07:25:08 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I also agree with your price assessment on the Salina.  It seams to be a great deal.  Not having spent as much time researching it as I have the bullfrog spa, I’m now playing Catch-up.  According to the dealer I need to deside by Sunday.  I am looking to buy soon, however I’m not interested in deciding that soon.  I understand what tman is saying about frame material.  I’m just worried about a wood frame.  I live deep in the woods where in the spring and summer everything is always damp.  Wood decays much faster hear than most places.  I’m new to hot tubbing so stop if I’m incorrect or have been steered in the wrong direction.  I’m also  concerned with the Salina using a poly sheet bottom.  My understanding is it can be compared to a thick plastic bag, where bull frogs is ridged plastic.   Maybe it shouldn’t be a concern of mine. Thanks again for all the feedback.  It’s a major purchase for me, and I can only afford to do this once in the next 10-15yrs.

If you set a piece of the thin steel with holes drilled in it out in the swamp along side a treated piece of wood the wood will last longer.
Retired

Asha

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 08:18:04 am »
Yes much agreed.  Bullfrog uses a composite.  As for dealer reputation.  I can only find a few google reviews for each dealership.  Not enough to judge them.  Is there another site I can go to?

castletonia

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 12:28:01 pm »
Just a thought here regarding the bottom pan vs bottom sheet of plastic.  FYI, I now sell Caldera and Hot Spring, but used to sell Marquis and Sunrise.  There are pros and cons of a plastic bottom pan.  It does keep moisture, critters, elements out and that keeps the equipment are cleaner and I think can prolong the life of the frame.  On the flip side, if there is a leak, then there is no place for the water to go.  In the last year, I disposed of a 2008 Limelight Flair (which had a metal frame) and a 2012 Whitewater S104 by Sunrise which also had a metal frame.  Both hot tubs were not taken care of, but both had leaked and probably done so for a long time.  When my service tech removed the bottom pans to gain access to the underside of the hot tub, there were parts of the frame that were gone, it corroded away.  Both hot tubs had other issues that made it not worth investing in repair which was ultimately why they were disposed of.  Had those been pressure treated wood frames, or even had drain holes in the bottom pan and there had been somewhere for the water to escape to, maybe the frames would have been fine.

My point is, it probably shouldn't matter whether the hot tub has a bottom pan, plastic sheet, has a wood frame or a abs plastic frame.  Buy a quality hot tub that works for you from a reputable dealer.

Asha

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 01:48:10 pm »
Thank you, those are valid points and make perfect sense to me.  This forum along with the feedback I have received has been extremely helpful.  I will continue to educate myself before I make a decision.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 03:39:38 pm »
Just a thought here regarding the bottom pan vs bottom sheet of plastic.  FYI, I now sell Caldera and Hot Spring, but used to sell Marquis and Sunrise.  There are pros and cons of a plastic bottom pan.  It does keep moisture, critters, elements out and that keeps the equipment are cleaner and I think can prolong the life of the frame.  On the flip side, if there is a leak, then there is no place for the water to go.  In the last year, I disposed of a 2008 Limelight Flair (which had a metal frame) and a 2012 Whitewater S104 by Sunrise which also had a metal frame.  Both hot tubs were not taken care of, but both had leaked and probably done so for a long time.  When my service tech removed the bottom pans to gain access to the underside of the hot tub, there were parts of the frame that were gone, it corroded away.  Both hot tubs had other issues that made it not worth investing in repair which was ultimately why they were disposed of.  Had those been pressure treated wood frames, or even had drain holes in the bottom pan and there had been somewhere for the water to escape to, maybe the frames would have been fine.

My point is, it probably shouldn't matter whether the hot tub has a bottom pan, plastic sheet, has a wood frame or a abs plastic frame.  Buy a quality hot tub that works for you from a reputable dealer.

does Limelight use metal? I could have sworn Hot Spring has never used a metal frame?

castletonia

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 05:50:54 pm »
I Limelight did from 2008-2012 I think.

d00nut

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 06:35:45 pm »

does Limelight use metal? I could have sworn Hot Spring has never used a metal frame?

They did.  It totally sucked.  Glad they switched back!

Asha

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 11:32:32 am »
Ok so I have narrowed it down to two tubs.  Both from great dealers and the tubs are around the same price.  The  responsible most likely will be, wet test wet test.  Most likely that won’t be possible.  A r7 bullfrog and a caldera Salina.    Durability and ease of working on our probably my top priorities.  Both 5yr  warrantees.  I’m thinking down the line i would fix most problems if they are within my Comfort zone. That being said I heard caldera uses proprietary parts.  That also might be the same for bullfrog.  Let’s say down the line I need to replace a jet.  Does the whole jet pack in a bullfrog need replaced.  If so how much does that usually run?

castletonia

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 04:58:28 pm »
I wouldn’t be to worried about proprietary parts.  Everything is to an extent.  Bullfrog uses Bakboa controls, but I’m guessing the software is specific to them making the electronics somewhat proprietary.

Either way, both good products.  Salina is a comfortable, spacious hot tub.  It has good power, I like the therapy it provides, and is my best selling Caldera.

bradleyabell

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 10:46:50 am »
Thanks for all the advice.  I have been asking about left overs and floor models.  I have yet to find what some on this forum and I would consider a great deal.  Yes a few floor models hear and there, but no steep discounts.  500$ off.  Plus not close to the size I would like.  That’s better than nothing.  I have two offers on the table.  An x8 for 8600$ out the door.  Tax delivery lift and starter chemicals.  And a new 2017caldera Salina for 9k out the door tax delivery lift and starter chemicals.  Both are as base as they come.  I haven’t researched the Salina yet.  It was pointed out that it does have a 5yr warrantee.  Any insight on the Salina would be great.  As for the dealerships, they both are comparable.

$8,600!?!?!?  I got mine for 7.2k including tax...delivery, steps, cover, install, chemicals, etc.

d00nut

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:30 am »
Thanks for all the advice.  I have been asking about left overs and floor models.  I have yet to find what some on this forum and I would consider a great deal.  Yes a few floor models hear and there, but no steep discounts.  500$ off.  Plus not close to the size I would like.  That’s better than nothing.  I have two offers on the table.  An x8 for 8600$ out the door.  Tax delivery lift and starter chemicals.  And a new 2017caldera Salina for 9k out the door tax delivery lift and starter chemicals.  Both are as base as they come.  I haven’t researched the Salina yet.  It was pointed out that it does have a 5yr warrantee.  Any insight on the Salina would be great.  As for the dealerships, they both are comparable.

$8,600!?!?!?  I got mine for 7.2k including tax...delivery, steps, cover, install, chemicals, etc.

What's funny is that Asha's prices are still great... especially including taxes!  You got a business suicide discount bradleyabell!  Be happy  :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42