What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Crane in Spa, tight space, which to get? Hotspring? Jacuzzi?  (Read 10588 times)

gadgetfreak

Re: Crane in Spa, tight space, which to get? Hotspring? Jacuzzi?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 07:20:34 pm »
Just to clarify something from your first post. You have had a structural engineer do the design work for the upgrades to your roof deck in anticipation of adding another 6,000 to 8,000 pounds to your roof structure? Tub and water and then another 1,000 pounds of people plus the added weight of the deck structure.

Building permits have all passed and are approved?

yes, structural engineering and plans are being done as we speak. I figure 10K load is about right. and i think they usually plan for much more than that as a variance.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 07:20:34 pm »

gadgetfreak

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 09:12:58 pm »
Went to two dealers today. Wife definitely wants a lounge seat after looking. We looked at the Jacuzzi J575,
It was the most expensive, $15K. Wifi would be extra $300 and a monthly fee after a year! I think thinking it thru I don't need the wifi, not worth it long term.

Hotspring spas, we like the NXT line, they only had the Aria, looks like the Envoy would fit for us. Price was about $11,200. I do like the pop up speakers.

We also looked at the Caldera, they had the Cantabria on the showroom floor. It looked great, except it's wide, not long, so the front is on the wrong side for us. The Geneva, looks like it'll fit though.  Priced also for $11K or so. The neck massage on one of the seats looks pretty good.

I didn't think the prices would be that much different. $11k vs. 15K.

The Hotsprings has the cartridge for the chlorine or bromine. Gimicky?

For the lounger, the wrist jet on the jacuzzi was cool. I type a lot so a massage for the wrist would help with some carpel.

I like the idea of speakers in the spa as well. How do they sound?

Next up is going to a dealer for the BullFrog A8D, although I might be a few inches too wide depending on how the cover is mounted.

Would love thoughts on pricing and comparisons, will the bullfrog be priced closer to 11k or 15K?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 07:38:49 am »
Speakers in spa's are almost always the first thing to break.
Retired

bud16415

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 10:56:23 am »
You mentioned the Caldera Geneva. That is the tub we have and are pretty happy with it is top notch on hydro therapy as are the others in the price line you mentioned I’m sure. I had high hopes for the neck jets you mentioned also and they do work but are not as impressive as I had hoped. The Geneva does have the wrist jets in the deep corner seat and I didn’t think much about them when we bought it but they are now one of my favorite features. Another is the second control panel inside the tub. We hardly ever use the main panel when inside the tub.

Don’t waste your money on sound is my advice. Install some good quality outdoor speakers on the walls out there. Sounds like you are having construction done so put the wiring in during that phase. Or go buy a nice blue tooth cube and set it out there when you want music. With the jets going you wont hear quality sound and when just soaking in the still water it wont take much to give you some music. I think as other have said putting speakers in a tub is asking for trouble.

Loungers are great and don’t just think about the location of the control panel think about your enter and exit point and the view from the main seating points. In the Geneva it is best to enter at the cool down seat. First it is the flattest seat and highest to step down on and second it is the least used so chances are someone wont have to move for someone else to get out. If you are getting ready to get out you are over heating you move to that seat for a few minutes cool down and then get out. Entering at the lounger would be the worst. Also keep in mind where the filters are for working on them and we use the cover for the filters like a end table and often keep a ice water pitcher there and some plastic cups. We walk out and set stuff there all the times. I often set my iPhone there in a zip lock bag of course. It is convent if that spot is close to where you walk up to the tub and not on the other side.   

bud16415

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 11:27:39 am »
I forgot to mention the cartridges, or inline feeder as they call them “frog” system. I have that on our Geneva and used it the first year we had it. It is no way a gimmick but IMO don’t work as well as they lead you to believe. The idea is great as you don’t have to remember every day to add chlorine. Great if you are going away for a couple weeks etc. I don’t think they dispense as accurately as they say and they were not close enough for our usage pattern. They are pricey and IMO should have been designed to be refillable with bulk material. One cartridge is sanitizer crushed bromine chunks or @ease chunks of a chlorine based material. The other cartridge is full of “minerals” some claim the minerals aid in letting the sanitizer work better. I used them for a couple years and now I don’t and I cant tell a difference. So I would IMO only say the minerals are a gimmick.

I don’t use the cartridges at all now as I daily dose the tub with dichlor or Clorox / bleach as my sanitizer of choice. Doing it right after we get out for the day. Kills everything bad overnight and the water has just a trace left when we get in the next day. More for the bugs in the water less eating up my skin. When we go away on vacation I pop in an @ease cartridge turn down the water temp and forget it. come back to nice clean water.       

gadgetfreak

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 02:16:33 am »
You mentioned the Caldera Geneva. That is the tub we have and are pretty happy with it is top notch on hydro therapy as are the others in the price line you mentioned I’m sure. I had high hopes for the neck jets you mentioned also and they do work but are not as impressive as I had hoped. The Geneva does have the wrist jets in the deep corner seat and I didn’t think much about them when we bought it but they are now one of my favorite features. Another is the second control panel inside the tub. We hardly ever use the main panel when inside the tub.

Don’t waste your money on sound is my advice. Install some good quality outdoor speakers on the walls out there. Sounds like you are having construction done so put the wiring in during that phase. Or go buy a nice blue tooth cube and set it out there when you want music. With the jets going you wont hear quality sound and when just soaking in the still water it wont take much to give you some music. I think as other have said putting speakers in a tub is asking for trouble.

Loungers are great and don’t just think about the location of the control panel think about your enter and exit point and the view from the main seating points. In the Geneva it is best to enter at the cool down seat. First it is the flattest seat and highest to step down on and second it is the least used so chances are someone wont have to move for someone else to get out. If you are getting ready to get out you are over heating you move to that seat for a few minutes cool down and then get out. Entering at the lounger would be the worst. Also keep in mind where the filters are for working on them and we use the cover for the filters like a end table and often keep a ice water pitcher there and some plastic cups. We walk out and set stuff there all the times. I often set my iPhone there in a zip lock bag of course. It is convent if that spot is close to where you walk up to the tub and not on the other side.

thx, i'll skip the speakers, already have speakers wired out there w/ a sonos amp. I unfortunately given the shape of my deck, only can enter from the front of the spa on all of these. I'll keep note on entry/exit and spots to put drinks!

Thoughts on the prices so far? Why is Jacuzzi 15k vs. the others at 11k? will Bullfrog and Marquis be the lower or higher of that range?

gadgetfreak

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 03:53:49 am »
I checked out the bullfrog, looks pretty cool. I'm hoping to wet test it, just not sure which one will fit.  Marquis unfortunately the dealer is an hour away, so hoping to find time.

Any fans of the bullfrog A8D (dual lounger) or the A7L (smaller single lounger). Price difference is 12k vs 10K.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 01:29:20 pm »

thx, i'll skip the speakers, already have speakers wired out there w/ a sonos amp. I unfortunately given the shape of my deck, only can enter from the front of the spa on all of these. I'll keep note on entry/exit and spots to put drinks!

Thoughts on the prices so far? Why is Jacuzzi 15k vs. the others at 11k? will Bullfrog and Marquis be the lower or higher of that range?

Jazuzzi is highly overrated and highly overpriced in my humble opinion, especially since now they build them with $8 an hour labor in Mexico, Hot Spring is also built down there but imo a much better tub overall, especially at the price difference you are looking at.  Bullfrog will probably fall in between those 2 numbers...13-14k ish....Wet Test, Wet Test, Wet Test....If you are a jet guy Bullfrog will blow both of them away

castletonia

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 04:49:17 pm »

Jazuzzi is highly overrated and highly overpriced in my humble opinion, especially since now they build them with $8 an hour labor in Mexico, Hot Spring is also built down there but imo a much better tub overall, especially at the price difference you are looking at.  Bullfrog will probably fall in between those 2 numbers...13-14k ish....Wet Test, Wet Test, Wet Test....If you are a jet guy Bullfrog will blow both of them away

Hot Spring Highlife & NXT are still made in California  ;)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 05:19:59 pm »

In my humble opinion both Jacuzzi and HS will blow away the jets in the BF and they will be quieter if that's important. Wet test for sure.
Retired

gadgetfreak

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 01:46:44 am »
Good news, bad news.

Engineering to reinforce says it's a go, but it isn't cheap. Regardless, they are saying 3800lb weight limit for the jacuzzi full of water. So basically a 4 person tub. Would love your thoughts. Wife really wanted a lounge, but given size, maybe either 1 lounge, or supposedly the still 5, even with 4 seats, designed so you can "lounge"across? 
I do like the ideas of the packs now since it's a smaller tub so less jets to have that are the right power/spot etc. But I do like the caldera and marquis as they seem much bigger and get closer to my weight limit.  weight limit is just for jacuzzi, engineer designed for people in the jacuzzi as well, furniture, etc and extra.

So if Bullfrog, the Still 5 (342 gallons of water, 3300lbs) - 4 seats  5'7" x 6'10" x 31"
Bullfrog A5, (243 gallons, 3200lbs) - 2 loungers?  5'-8" x 7' x 31"

Caldera Provence 265 gallons, 3800lbs, looks much bigger even though 265 gallons 6’6” x 7’ x 35”
https://www.calderaspas.com/shop/utopia/provence#tojets

marquis resort 345 gallons 3700lbs Size: 85.5″ x 85.5″ x 35″
http://www.marquisspas.com/hot-tubs/models/marquis-signature-series/the-resort-hot-tub/

hotspring beam 310gallons 3800lbs 6'8" x 6'8" x 33”
https://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/limelight/4-person-small-hot-tub-beam

gadgetfreak

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 03:27:09 am »
realized the marquis wish and
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/340-6TH-St-Manhattan-Beach-CA-90266/20422741_zpid/
i like the wrist jets on the wish, but that curve of the body is such a waste of space?

reward also fit the bill and gives more seating spots
https://www.marquisspas.com/hot-tubs/models/marquis-signature-series/the-reward-hot-tub/

But  the resort has microsilk, and I kind of wanted to get it for my and my sons dry skin, 1 of which has eczema and the limited info out there, seems like it does help for dry skin and eczema.

Anyone have these 3? 

For me, it's all about the stiff neck, traps (shoulders) and shoulder blade and lower back.

My wife, really wants a lounger.  Each one has 1 part I want.

I kind of want a neck, shoulder, wrist and lounge with lots of seats but is 3600lbs wet.  with microsilk....

castletonia

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 09:04:44 am »
Just a heads up, when Hot Spring and Caldera list a filled weight they are also including the weight of however many people can fit in the spa.  So, for the Beam, that 3800lbs are with 4 average sized adults weighing 175lbs each.

When I sold Marquis, I sat in the Resort multiple times.  My only complaint with it was that in the lounge, when having all the power turned to the HK40 jets for the lower back, it would push both my wife and me up and out of the seat.  When I would turn off the HK40 jets I was fine.  I noticed this on any Marquis I sat in with a lounger or adirondack chair that had the lower back HK40 jets.  As for the Reward and Wish, I never brought them in.  My previous boss thought the lounge seat was a bit narrow on the Reward. 

As for Microsilk, I liked it and if I were to purchase a Marquis, I would get it.  It helped my wife's skin.  Just remember that you cannot run Microsilk when the other pumps are running.

I would also add the Hot Spring Aria to your list.  I know it doesn't have Microsilk or wrist jets, but at least for me, its an awesome spa.

MarKee

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 12:28:34 am »
Hottubguy on the forum here owns a Resort and seems to really like it. I’ve sat in it with water, it’s a nice spa.  Good powerful jets. I really like the looks of the Resort as well, very attractive the way it’s shaped.

You might also consider a Marquis V84L, that one can also do MicroSilk and should work with your weight restrictions.

gadgetfreak

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 03:51:56 am »
tried out the marquis, wet tested the epic as that's the only one they had with water. Thought I'd try the jets and the microsilk. 

We are going back and doing a wet test for the resort hopefully next week. But they said trying the epic would give a good sense of the jets.

We really liked the micro silk. just soaking for about 10 min, my skin definitely felt  softer getting out,it's been 8 hrs and my hands feel really soft, I think I'm sold on the microsilk.

the jets were pretty good, i liked the neck one. The other lounger did push us up out of the seat a bit though. hopefully that doesn't happen in the resort.

The resort does seem pretty pricey though, they had it at $12,400 without the microsilk, which I think is a $1500 option?

The other one, is the V84L, but it only has 1 lounger vs. 2 on the resort.

Do dealers keep the price so close to msrp?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:53:56 am by gadgetfreak »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 03:51:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42