What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A cover for my hot tub cover?  (Read 2348 times)

Snowjob

A cover for my hot tub cover?
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:14:53 pm »
Hi. Got the new J470 setup at a cottage in Ontario. Was -34c this week. All worked very well. One thing I did notice was a lot of ice build up on top of the cover. It was there prior to us using it so possibly it was snow that melted and refroze, or maybe ther was some freezing rain while we were away. This ice made the cover so heavy it took 3 of us to lift it.  Eventually I removed the ice by chipping away with a hammer.

So my question is does anyone use a cover that goes over the main cover. I guess the idea would be that you could remove the outer cover and take the ice with it?  I purchased a tarp and will try that but I see amazon have some fitted covers that go over a hot tub main cover

Anyone tried one?

Hot Tub Forum

A cover for my hot tub cover?
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:14:53 pm »

bud16415

Re: A cover for my hot tub cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:03:02 am »
I added a covered pergola over my tub to keep snow and freezing rain off the bathers and also the tub itself. For the most part it works minimizing the problem but never will be 100%. The ice build up on the cover I don’t think is caused by the tubs heat getting out and melting snow and then freezing I think it is just a build up of ice just like you get on your car if it sits outside. Pounding on it with a hammer will be hard on your cover in no time at all.

I highly recommend having a freeze proof water source near the tub a short hose and a high pressure fitting for a jet spray on the end. I also recommend plumbing it in such a way from inside you can select the heat or the water going out. I had a half inch of ice on my cover this morning and I deiced it in just 2 minutes with very hot water and a jet spray. I then removed a good inch of ice from the deck where we walk just as fast. While I had the hose connected I cleaned the filter with hot water and topped off the water level in the tub with hot water.

Safety walking on ice and icy steps is a big concern just as trying to open a heavy cover coated in ice while standing on ice.

I cant think what it would be like not having that hot water out there.   

It does leave a very thin ice layer you still have to be careful but nothing like the thick buildup nature leaves.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:22:17 am »
 I would be careful with the cover as well.   Most after market spa cover companies won't make the J-400 covers so you have to order from the factory. They use to run in the 600 range, not sure what they are now.  Not to mention your in Canada.

You can order spa caps, I think Jacuzzi still sells them?  Or try and find a car cover type thing, or just a plastic tarp that you could peel off. 

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 10:36:01 am »
This is just my opinion on covering things to prevent snow and ice buildup. Living in one of the worst places in the country for snow and ice I have seen everything you could think of used to keep snow off cars. What normally happens is moisture gets between and the covering gets froze to the surface. This winter they were selling all kinds of windshield covers and we got one as a Christmas gift. Giving it a try you guessed it the new space age material stuck to the windshield.

Like I mentioned above I use a push broom on the cover and it gets it clean of snow 95% of the time and if the little ice left is a problem I use the hot water spray. Just like deicing a jet aircraft. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 10:36:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42