What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: another advise question  (Read 11368 times)

D69stang

another advise question
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:21:29 pm »
So talked the wife into a hot tub. have 4 kids,  15-6 in age. looking for a 6-7 person tub. I like the lounger option as does the wife but the few we've sat in with the full family seem cramped. ones we've liked where we fit comfortably are Dynasty Spa Hawaiian Breeze series 886L (however quick search on line telling me to stay away from these as construction is garbage) and the Master Spa Twilight series 8.25 (non lounger but we fit more comfortably in the lounger-less one in the master spas (but again, forums here really bash these guys).  can anyone point me to specific options I should look into? I see a lot of "Oh you can do better than master spa's" but not many direct compares to go look at. and the dynasty review that was harsh on construction was a bit dated so not sure if still an issue with those guys.

trying to keep cost to ~ 10k or so altho flexible if worthwhile.

oh we also looked at bullfrog spas but wasn't overly impressed (or the salesman was not so good there - one of the two)

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

another advise question
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:21:29 pm »

bud16415

Re: another advise question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:30:26 am »
We have a Caldera Geneva and it is a 6 person tub and a few times we have had 6 adults in it was ok not overly cramped as it has a good size foot well and one set of feet are in the recliner. I think with 4 kids it would work fine. You need to look at the larger foot print tubs 7.5’ or 8’ square. At least in the Caldera lineup the 8 person tub will be out of your price range.

I normally suggest a two more person tub than you think you will normally have in it. Keep in mind water displacement in a 6 person with 6 adults you would want the water level on the low side and then when just one or two are in it wont have enough water. The extra size balances that out better. 

Beck0101

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:02:34 pm »
If you're in the Midwest you could get a Bullfrog A8 within your price range, plus tax.  Or the X/R line under $10k.

I've got three kids and I can count the times we've all been in together on one hand.  I wouldn't necessarily fret about "full capacity".  Sit closer to your wife on those days when all the kids decide they want to join...

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:56:36 pm »
So talked the wife into a hot tub. have 4 kids,  15-6 in age. looking for a 6-7 person tub. I like the lounger option as does the wife but the few we've sat in with the full family seem cramped. ones we've liked where we fit comfortably are Dynasty Spa Hawaiian Breeze series 886L (however quick search on line telling me to stay away from these as construction is garbage) and the Master Spa Twilight series 8.25 (non lounger but we fit more comfortably in the lounger-less one in the master spas (but again, forums here really bash these guys).  can anyone point me to specific options I should look into? I see a lot of "Oh you can do better than master spa's" but not many direct compares to go look at. and the dynasty review that was harsh on construction was a bit dated so not sure if still an issue with those guys.

trying to keep cost to ~ 10k or so altho flexible if worthwhile.

oh we also looked at bullfrog spas but wasn't overly impressed (or the salesman was not so good there - one of the two)

Thanks.

What other brands are available in your area?  Hot Springs, Marquis, Caldera, Artesian all make great tubs as well as the bullfrog you already looked at

D69stang

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:26:11 pm »
So appreciating all this feedback.  so far what I understand is I should not buy either the dynasty or the master spa.  maybe I should relook at the Bullfrog.  there is a marquis dealer and a Jacuzzi dealer withing 15-20 mins of my house so will go look at those two (thinking the 495 Jacuzzi however that doesnt look like it has lounge, but does appear to have some pretty cool captain type seats, marguis has several that look to hold 7-8 people).  the Cantabria dealers is like an hour away, altho it does look interesting.   and am told I should think of dimension one spas as well. friend had the amore bay that he said was the best spa he ever owned. and there is a dealer within 10 mins of the house.

Conine2965

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:04:51 pm »
I have marquis vector 94 great size reasonably priced

bradleyabell

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:14:53 am »
We bought a Bullfrog X8L...VERY comfortably sits 6, but can fit up to 8 people.  Under 7k.

D69stang

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 10:16:16 am »
So, looks like I am expanding the budget.  Sort of narrowed it down to the following. would love comments feedback on what people think, if any I should avoid, etc.

D1 Amore Bay
Jacuzzi J495
Caldera Cantabria
Marquis V94L

Thoughts / feedback / etc very much welcome.  Hoping to go test a few this weekend, but testing new and having a year old clunker is what I am worried about...

Thanks in advance.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:46:43 am »
So, looks like I am expanding the budget.  Sort of narrowed it down to the following. would love comments feedback on what people think, if any I should avoid, etc.

D1 Amore Bay
Jacuzzi J495
Caldera Cantabria
Marquis V94L

Thoughts / feedback / etc very much welcome.  Hoping to go test a few this weekend, but testing new and having a year old clunker is what I am worried about...

Thanks in advance.

Its very common to set a budget before shopping and then have to reset it when you investigate further and review what you really want. The 4 models you list all come from manufacturers with good reputations. At this point it should be about getting in with a dealer you can trust, what kind of deal you can get and by all means you really want to wet test. I'll bet if you dry sit these 4 spas and list your favorites 1 through 4 based on a dry sit and then wet test you'll likely rearrange that list but not because any one of them is poorly designed but just because the dynamics change so much when you're buoyant and you also can't put much stock in what others concluded when wet testing these models because results DO vary from person to person.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Sam

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 07:18:20 pm »

D1 Amore Bay
Jacuzzi J495
Caldera Cantabria
Marquis V94L

Thanks in advance.

Those are all great hot tubs from great companies.  It really comes down to personal fit and does it meet your needs.  Also, how does the dealer seem?  A bad dealer can ruin a good hot tub and vice versa. 

The Amore Bay is a badass hot tub, for sure.  D1 has been around a long time and does some really cool things.  We carried them for a short time.  We had a lot of service issues and felt that they were a little overpriced, but that really is an awesome spa and I hate to say anything negative about them.  I think we just weren't a good fit.  The D1 is made in the same factory as the Jacuzzi, which is also a nice spa.  I'm a big fan of Marquis as well, though I don't like the look of the vector spas.  Appearance shouldn't be a make or break factor though, imo.  Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 08:36:21 pm »

D1 Amore Bay
Jacuzzi J495
Caldera Cantabria
Marquis V94L

Thanks in advance.

A lot of personal preference here and obviously you'll narrow it down quickly after wet testing but on paper imho Caldera > D1 > Marquis > Jacuzzi when taking into account the specific models you are looking at, to give Marquis a fair shake I would look at models within their Signature series while you are shopping them, do you have a Bullfrog dealer near? an A8D/A8L/R8L (if you want a lounge or loungers in case of the A8D) would be some other good units I would def. throw into the mix and wet test if possible....Good Luck!

castletonia

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:31 pm »
All the spas you are looking at are oversized units except the Marquis V94L.  To be a fair comparison, that V94L should either be an Epic or a Show and even then. still a smaller spa.  I used to sell Marquis and I like them as a company and the product, but just not a fair comparison.  If you haven't considered it, look at the Hot Spring Grandee too.

Can't really say avoid anything on your list.  All premium manufacturers and with the exception of the Marquis, you are looking at the top of the line for all the manufacturers you listed.  Dry test each spa and wet test if possible.  The dealer is almost as important as the brand so research each dealer. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:35 pm »
All premium manufacturers and with the exception of the Marquis, you are looking at the top of the line for all the manufacturers you listed. 

I dissagree. I think Marquis is almost the top of all listed choices. I would pick a different D1.
Retired

castletonia

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 10:54:38 pm »
My fault.  I didn’t mean Marquis wasn’t a premium manufacturer.  They are all premium.  All except the marquis model listed are top of the line from each manufacturer.  The Vector21 line from Marquis is a step down from the Signature series, which would be the equal comparison.

D69stang

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 02:52:05 pm »
Went to Jacuzzi today.  Wife didn't like the 495.  She did like the J385 better (go figure).  was  quoted a price for the in stock one we sat in at $13,400.  I think that's a bit high for the store model.  Is with the usual lift / cover / install.  option for the fancier steps which the salesman said cost 600 more (included in the 13,400).  wasn't really expecting the j385 to be that high tho.  a 300 series.. Only option the demo had was the stereo.  Anyone comment on the price? I am in NY so I know we get charged premium on everything, but is this very high or is it me?
Gonna go check out D1 most likely later today or tomorrow.  If we like as much as the J385 then i will prob stop testing and start bidding on whichever one i think the better deal will be.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 02:52:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42