What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Homemade fill filter to reduce rust/sediment  (Read 5281 times)

jasolution

• Caldera Niagara -- Woo hoo!
Homemade fill filter to reduce rust/sediment
« on: August 22, 2004, 09:57:52 am »
I live in SE Michigan and have a well, so our water contains a lot of sediment and rust. We have a fairly complex filtering system for the inside water and also have a water softener, so we cannot use the inside water for filling our spa. Our outside spickets bypass all of the filtration, thus the water contains a high amount of iron.

The first time I filled my spa, I used a cheap attach-to-hose filter I bought designed for filling spas. Needless to say, I got what I paid for and ended up with water that had a slightly red hue after I'd filled the spa.

I decided to "build" my own filter to remove the iron and other sediment. For about $50 and a trip to Home Depot, I put together a dual-stage filter that resulted in crystal clear water on my second tub fill.

In case there are others out there who encountered the same problem as I did with bad water and a poor filter, I figured I'd post the recipe here.

(2) GE GXWH04F 10" filter housings (any brand will work)

(1) 15 micron spun polyester sediment filter -  (I used a GE FXUSC)

(1) 5 micron sediment filter - (I used GE FXWTC)

Various fittings to make the connections to the filter housings and a 3/4" hose (see picture)

First, using the fittings and a coupler, I connected the two filter housings together. Next, I placed the 15 micron poly filter in the first housing to catch larger particles. In the second housing, I placed the 5 micron filter. Then I just placed the proper fittings onto the ends of the housings and hooked up my supply line and my fill hose, and filled 'er up.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Jason

Hot Tub Forum

Homemade fill filter to reduce rust/sediment
« on: August 22, 2004, 09:57:52 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Homemade fill filter to reduce rust/sediment
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 06:48:46 pm »
Very nice.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Homemade fill filter to reduce rust/sediment
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 06:48:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42