What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Sensor inside the tub panel  (Read 2624 times)

Letran

Water Sensor inside the tub panel
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:53:12 am »
This seems to be a good idea

I'm thinking of running a water sensor inside the panel to alert me of any leaks.

My tub is partially submerged on a deck so running wires is not an issue. This also means I can't see the bottom of the tub if and when it does develop a leak.
I'm already running my Wifi Module outside the tub and inside the basement wall. I have an extra water sensor lying around so I thought it might be a good idea.

The idea would be the sensor if triggered (meaning it got wet in the inside base of the tub) will either email me or some sort of notification. Since it will be located in the inside base of the tub it will be a pretty early indicator. Without it the only way I'll know if it is leaking is through water loss.

Wat yu think? Anyone tried this before? Tips? Thoughts

I liked this idea so much that I think all tubs should be pre-wired with leak sensors.

Hot Tub Forum

Water Sensor inside the tub panel
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:53:12 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Water Sensor inside the tub panel
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:46:07 am »
This seems to be a good idea

I'm thinking of running a water sensor inside the panel to alert me of any leaks.

My tub is partially submerged on a deck so running wires is not an issue. This also means I can't see the bottom of the tub if and when it does develop a leak.
I'm already running my Wifi Module outside the tub and inside the basement wall. I have an extra water sensor lying around so I thought it might be a good idea.

The idea would be the sensor if triggered (meaning it got wet in the inside base of the tub) will either email me or some sort of notification. Since it will be located in the inside base of the tub it will be a pretty early indicator. Without it the only way I'll know if it is leaking is through water loss.

Wat yu think? Anyone tried this before? Tips? Thoughts

I liked this idea so much that I think all tubs should be pre-wired with leak sensors.

I use an Insteon hub and have leak sensors under every sink in my house and next to water softner, washer and in my crawl space to notify me of any leaks in my house. I also use open and close sensors, cameras, switches, outlets, thermostat, garage door status and control to create a total smart home. I have turned off e-mail notifications and only use push notifications to my phone. I figured instant push notifications would be better as I don't look at e-mails regularly. Check out Insteon. It has been reasonably easy and trouble free.
Retired

Letran

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:37:36 pm »
Tman22,

That's amazing. Have you heard of Crestron or Control4? That's what I have right now

The house is already a connected home, or smart home as you said. The reason I actually bought a balboa wifi module is to find a way to integrate it with my system. No luck thus far.

Connected homes are getting more main stream. I'm glad to hear that you are also in home automation.

Cheers,

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:35:59 pm »
Tman22,

That's amazing. Have you heard of Crestron or Control4? That's what I have right now

The house is already a connected home, or smart home as you said. The reason I actually bought a balboa wifi module is to find a way to integrate it with my system. No luck thus far.

Connected homes are getting more main stream. I'm glad to hear that you are also in home automation.

Cheers,

I started a few years back because I wanted a couple cameras, I am very rural and have had folks boat up to my dock and steal stuff. Insteon came recommended from a friend as I looked for a camera and no monthly fee. Turns out they have a ton of connected devices. I would say it's likely not the best X10 based system but is sure is reasonable priced. Crestron makes likely the best home automation switches and outlets. But I was looking for remote status and control from a mobile device and no monthly fee.

My son stopped over to borrow my table saw and called me cause he couldn't remember the code for the garage I was 150 miles away. I said hang on a sec and fired up the Insteon software and opened the garage door for him. He though that was neat. I use there motion sensors to trigger the cameras to notify me and take video. That kind of setup is a bit complicated but installing new devices is easy peasy.

Hot tubs have a ways to go to be decent at remote monitoring and control IMO.

It also works with my Alexa so I can control all my lights and outlets. "Alexa, coffee pot on" Imagine "Alexa hot tub 102" And in her nice voice "OK"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:40:44 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Letran

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 04:33:14 pm »
That's great.

How did you connect the tub to Alexa?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 06:08:18 pm »
That's great.

How did you connect the tub to Alexa?

It was a wish statement.
Retired

Letran

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:51:07 pm »
My wish too.

If I figure it out. I'll let you know

It will involve intercepting communications between the wifi-module and my network

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:51:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42