What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help deciding on 110v  (Read 3219 times)

lovedogs

help deciding on 110v
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:49 pm »
Hi,
I'm new to the community and have been pouring over old posts--thanks to all of you for posting and sharing info! My husband and I are considering getting a hot tub--we've never had one before. I'm heavily leaning towards 110v systems because we live in Southern CA where it's typically either hot, warm, or mild, plus it would save almost 1K on electrical re-wiring.

I went to an authorized hot springs dealer nearby, but it was a bit hard to tell how "honest" they were since that's the only brand they sell. Planning to go to a larger store that sells many brands in order to get an unbiased review of options.

However, that's pretty much as far as I've gotten in the process. Anyone have strong opinions or thoughts about what the "best' 110 brand might be?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

help deciding on 110v
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:49 pm »

castletonia

Re: help deciding on 110v
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:49 am »
Remember, just because a dealer has multiple brands, does not alway mean they don't have a bias.  Manufacturers can have incentives to sell their product which will influence what the dealer pushes.

I sell Hot Spring and think they are one of the best brands in the industry.  I also sell Caldera and hold them in the same regards.  Previously sold Marquis and also hold them in high regards.  There is no "best" 110V brand.  Hot Spring makes high-end 110V spas like the Jetsetter and Prodigy that are going to sell for $7000+.  You then have a company like Nordic who also makes nice 110V spas, but they are simple budget spas that sell for less than $5000.  Then you have a company like Freeflow (owned by the parent company of Hot Spring) who makes 110V spas that typically sell for under $4000.  You just can't compare a Freeflow or Nordic to a high-end Hot Spring, or Marquis, or any other high-end spa.

See what you have available locally, and then go from there.  Consider the reputation of the manufacturer but also the dealer as well.

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:13:06 am »
Hi,
I'm new to the community and have been pouring over old posts--thanks to all of you for posting and sharing info! My husband and I are considering getting a hot tub--we've never had one before. I'm heavily leaning towards 110v systems because we live in Southern CA where it's typically either hot, warm, or mild, plus it would save almost 1K on electrical re-wiring.

This is going to severely limit the size hot tub you can get, but your reasoning is sound.  Just know that you cannot run jets on high speed and the heater at the same time.  So if you do use it in cooler times, you will lose temperature.

I went to an authorized hot springs dealer nearby, but it was a bit hard to tell how "honest" they were since that's the only brand they sell. Planning to go to a larger store that sells many brands in order to get an unbiased review of options.

I think it is totally unfair to say that someone may dishonest because the believe in what they sell, and choose only to represent that brand.  The logic here is flawed.  More brands don't make you more honest, in fact, I would say it makes you more wishy-washy!  I know... I sell more than one brand.   ;D

In all fairness.  The character of the dealer would probably be reflected online.  You could check that out, but also talk to the dealers, talk to the management team, talk to people walking in and out of the store. 

However, that's pretty much as far as I've gotten in the process. Anyone have strong opinions or thoughts about what the "best' 110 brand might be?

Thanks!

Depends on what you use it for.  110 works fine for me 95% of the time, because I use jets for about 10 minutes, then I soak for about 20.  If that describes you, and you don't mind your limited selection of 110 spas, then you are good, especially in Southern CA.  Now, if you like jets on the whole time, and you are in there for 30 minutes... go 220.  You will hate the fact that you lose temperature so fast based on your use.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:55:31 am »
Here is my take on the voltage question and the associated costs vs function. The correct terminology now is 120v / 240v so don’t be confused by that.

The heating time will take at least twice as long you have the issue of the tub not being able to heat during usage if the jets are on etc. then you have the ease of plug and play with 120v.

We live in northern climate and here I wouldn’t consider anything except 240v unless the tub was inside the heated house.

IMHO a hot tub should be on a dedicated circuit and should be powered off a GFCI controlled circuit and shouldn’t have any kind of an extension cord ran to it. In addition, I feel the 120v GFCI outlet should be 20 amp rated. They design the heater circuit to stay around 1500 watts to avoid the need for 20 amp wiring and GFCI outlet but it is getting close and if there are other things on the circuit you will be tripping a breaker. So for me you need a 20 amp breaker in your main panel, #12 wires run to a location right next to the tub a 20 amp GFCI outlet. Plan on the water being heated with 1500 watts as opposed to 4000 watts.

IMO if you have to get an electrician to run a dedicated 20 amp 120v service the cost will not be only a little more to run a 50 amp 240v service.

The only tubs I personally would plug into 120v 15 amp would be a blow-up tub. Just my 2 cents.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:55:59 pm »
Something not being discussed, or maybe you're not interested in, but 110/220 also should reflect your emphasis on hydrotherapy and possibly spa extras light lighting, etc. 

110 will be limited to a one pump system with minimal jets, relative to a 220 system.  It does cost more to run a 220 line vs "plug and play" but it costs more per day (generally) to run 110 vs a 220.  *But* your 220 will likely have more motors and lights so it is almost a wash.  Point is:  It may not be so cut and dry, as everything is relative. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »
Something not being discussed, or maybe you're not interested in, but 110/220 also should reflect your emphasis on hydrotherapy and possibly spa extras light lighting, etc. 

110 will be limited to a one pump system with minimal jets, relative to a 220 system.  It does cost more to run a 220 line vs "plug and play" but it costs more per day (generally) to run 110 vs a 220.  *But* your 220 will likely have more motors and lights so it is almost a wash.  Point is:  It may not be so cut and dry, as everything is relative.

besides heat up time taking forever this is my biggest issue with them, not enough pump, you'll be limited to a 1.5hp pump which can be fine imo for a small 2-3 person spa, but if you wanna soak 4-5 people in a larger 120v spa the jets will be pretty weak

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42