What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Convert 2000 Spa to new Controls/Heater  (Read 2564 times)

gjeppesen

Convert 2000 Spa to new Controls/Heater
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:50 am »
Hi,

I have an old 2000 Saratoga Canfield with '98 controls and in good shape.  I has (2) 2 speed jet pumps and a low flow circ pump.  It was given to me and I would like to put in new controls/heater and am willing to re-plumb whatever I need to.  I would like to install Balboa VS controls with high flow heater.  I have been told by a trusted spa service guy to get rid of separate circ pump and use low speed of one of the jet pumps to accomplish circulation.  I'd have to tie the old circulation plumbing into the jet pump plumbing.

This makes sense to me but wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Convert 2000 Spa to new Controls/Heater
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:50 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Convert 2000 Spa to new Controls/Heater
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:37:44 pm »
Hi,

I have an old 2000 Saratoga Canfield with '98 controls and in good shape.  I has (2) 2 speed jet pumps and a low flow circ pump.  It was given to me and I would like to put in new controls/heater and am willing to re-plumb whatever I need to.  I would like to install Balboa VS controls with high flow heater.  I have been told by a trusted spa service guy to get rid of separate circ pump and use low speed of one of the jet pumps to accomplish circulation.  I'd have to tie the old circulation plumbing into the jet pump plumbing.

This makes sense to me but wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks.

I like you and your service guys thinking but there are 2 trains of though. The low speed of one of your jet pumps will be noisier (where is the tub going to be located? By a window, neighbor? Do you plan on using Ozone to supplement your sanitation?) How will you mitigate any stagnant water in the circ pump lines your going to re-route? You will need flow through any left over lines or remove them completely. Does this model have a circ pump specific filter?
Retired

gjeppesen

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:41:16 pm »
1.  Tub will be next to walk out basement.
2.  Yes I plan on using ozone.
3.  I was just going to plumb them into the jet lines (with tees).
4.  Yes it has a circ pump filter that different than the jet pump filter (2 filters total on this model).

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:50:10 pm »
1.  Tub will be next to walk out basement.
2.  Yes I plan on using ozone.
3.  I was just going to plumb them into the jet lines (with tees).
4.  Yes it has a circ pump filter that different than the jet pump filter (2 filters total on this model).

1.Will noise be a factor in your location?
2. Ozone is way more effective if it's introduced 24/7/365
3. OK
4. What was your plan with the suction line from the filter housing?
Retired

gjeppesen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:01:21 am »
1.  I don't think so? (maybe)
4.  Tie that in too with a tee...shouldn't be a problem as I'd just be adding a suction and a return line to an existing pump.

Another option could be for me to replace the low flow circ pump with a high flow circ pump.  What does a high flow circ pump need as far as diameter tubing, number of return jets, return lines, number of suction lines?

I'm not even sure that's possible....

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 04:56:48 pm »
1.  I don't think so? (maybe)
4.  Tie that in too with a tee...shouldn't be a problem as I'd just be adding a suction and a return line to an existing pump.

Another option could be for me to replace the low flow circ pump with a high flow circ pump.  What does a high flow circ pump need as far as diameter tubing, number of return jets, return lines, number of suction lines?

I'm not even sure that's possible....

So have the second filter also get pulled from pump 1?

The high flow circ pump will have to be calculated in GPM and tubing size. If you tell me what the GPM is I can help figure out tubing size. Generally the size of the output side of the pump determines this. Low flow is quieter and more energy efficient.
Retired

gjeppesen

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 10:13:07 am »
Yes old circ filter plumbing would tie into Jet 1.

As far as high flow circ pump, I don't have one in mind...whatever most of them have.  Thanks for your help!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 10:13:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42