What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub on deck, how much overhang is acceptable?  (Read 2764 times)

maddoxreid

Hot tub on deck, how much overhang is acceptable?
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:37:10 am »
I've got a deck that has limited dimensions (not too limited, and there are still options), and I am slightly too small for a used unit that I am interested in.  The hand railing on the deck will be cut either way to access the full ~90" of the decking, but I was curious if I can even extend a little bit past the decking?  I know that with something like the "forever floor" on Arctic Spas I wouldn't likely have an issue hanging 5-10" over the edge of the decking on a tub that is like 100" total in that dimension, but what about most tubs?  What is the construction of the bottom of most hot tubs, and is it ridiculous to consider a slight overhang?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub on deck, how much overhang is acceptable?
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:37:10 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Hot tub on deck, how much overhang is acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:09:45 pm »
I've got a deck that has limited dimensions (not too limited, and there are still options), and I am slightly too small for a used unit that I am interested in.  The hand railing on the deck will be cut either way to access the full ~90" of the decking, but I was curious if I can even extend a little bit past the decking?  I know that with something like the "forever floor" on Arctic Spas I wouldn't likely have an issue hanging 5-10" over the edge of the decking on a tub that is like 100" total in that dimension, but what about most tubs?  What is the construction of the bottom of most hot tubs, and is it ridiculous to consider a slight overhang?

I wouldn't overhang any tub, including Arctic, because the edge of the tub is an important part of the support for the entire unit.
Retired

danthespaman316

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:24:48 pm »
Agree with Tman. The 4-6 inches on the outer edge of any traditionally manufactured tub carries the framing and probably bears around 70-80% of the total weight. If your frame fails, you can kiss your new tub goodbye. The forever floor still has flex and isn't going to do a thing for you in that regard. If you were to ask Arctic, I'm sure they would advise against it and more than likely tell you that your warranty would be voided.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:24:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42