What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My Optima is Here!!!!  (Read 4640 times)

bethshar

My Optima is Here!!!!
« on: August 18, 2004, 09:27:04 am »
Just got delivery yesterday.  The crane arrived at 1:30, and we were in the tub by 8 pm.  It was still about 88 degrees, but was lots of fun with the kids.  We stayed in for 2 hours - it reached 93 degrees by then.  We put chemicals in last night, and were in again first thing this morning.  My salesman is stopping by tomorrow to go over everthing with us.  I think we're going to like this!!!! 8) 8) 8)

The crane truck did some damage to my driveway - waiting to see what the dealer is going to do about it.  :o

Hot Tub Forum

My Optima is Here!!!!
« on: August 18, 2004, 09:27:04 am »

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Re: My Optima is Here!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 09:48:45 am »
Congratulations on your new tub.

What type of damage was done?  Would love to see some pics if you are able to.

bethshar

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:16:22 am »
Thanks!  I'll have to get my husband to upload the pictures - not sure about that stuff myself.

The crane put tire gouges in my driveway.  Probable could have been avoided if they put some wood boards down first.  

The hot tub looks great.  We put in a paver patio about 20x15.  The tub sits next to the house and our deck.  The cover opens away from the deck to give us some privacy.  We are in a fairly new development and there are no trees, so attaining some privacy is an issue.  

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 10:31:18 am »
Congrats!!!  

We are less than a week into our new Optima and LOVE IT!!!

Enjoy!   8) 8)
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 10:34:10 am »
Congratulations!

May you soak long and prosper.
May the relaxing waters sooth and swirl your problems into a dim, distant memory, may your family find a new place to come together and talk openly, and may your greasy brother-in-law not come over except when you are about to change the water anyway.

;D ;D :D :D :) :) ::) ::)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

doodoo

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 11:34:57 am »
.....and may your greasy brother-in-law not come over except when you are about to change the water anyway.

;D ;D :D :D :) :) ::) ::)

LMAO!   Vivid visions of my mother-in-law came to mind as she got on her broom and kick stared it in the morning like a harley to come for a soak.

Bethstar. I hope the gouges are not too too deep. The dealer should be able to work something out, either directly or with the crane co.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 11:37:04 am by doodoo »

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 11:42:05 am »
Bethstar -

Do you have a concrete or dirt driveway?

D/C

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 11:46:42 am »
The crane truck did some damage to my driveway - waiting to see what the dealer is going to do about it.  :o

Lori, a regular in here, had a crane delivery, and I'm sure she will relate her experience, but if I remember correctly, the first crane operator that looked at her situation wanted her to sign a damage waiver to the driveway before he would do anything. The answer I think was  larger crane that could reach from the street. I'm suprised the operator didn't ask you to sign some sort of wavier first.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 02:04:33 pm »

I'm assuming by your comment that the dealer contracted for the crane, vs you contracting directly.
 In either case the crane company should make good for repair to your driveway, which if it's asphalt, should be a relatively easy repair.  Unless you signed something as part of the delivery which held the crane operator harmless for this type of damage.  
Give them a chance, I bet they make good.
Brewman  
Brewman

bethshar

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 02:34:29 pm »
My driveway is asphalt, so repair ins't major.  But better their $$ then mine (if I have any left after the spa purchase).

I didn't even think we needed a crane.  The spa is in my yard, no steps or anything.  The delivery guy thought it would be better to use the crane so as not to have to slide the spa across the paver patio (to avoid damage?!?).  The spa sits between my deck steps and the house with about a foot of space on each side.

Anyway, we've been enjoying our spa today, and since no one is playing Bball on the driveway, I won't worry about someone tripping in the holes.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 02:35:24 pm »
Wmccall is correct!

The first couple of crane companies that gave estimates wanted to use a bigger truck from the street for big bucks (one estimate was around $150/hr with a 4 hr/min.).  I can't remember all of the quotes, but we went with a guy who said he could do it from my driveway if I would sign a waiver.  He only charged $75/hr with 1 hr/min.  He did a great job, put a couple of ruts in my front yard, but they could be easily filled (and they weren't really that bad) and my driveway is no worse for wear!!!  I wonder if they used one of those bigger cranes?

Sorry to hear about the damage!  Please, let us know how it goes!  I'd like to know how the dealer handles it.  Since my crane delivery was the first for my dealer, they asked that I handle the waiver.  I didn't have a problem with that, and I paid the driver of the crane personally.  He did the job in 20-30 minutes from start to finish, so I only had to pay $75, versus $600!!!  

Glad you love your tub!  May you always have hot, bubbly water!!!  May your driveway be fixed and be better than ever!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

bethshar

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 02:35:50 pm »
OH yeah - we didn't sign any waiver of damage.  Only a document that states that the spa was received in good condition.

doodoo

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 03:47:47 pm »
In hindisight I too had a crane delivery and did not sign a waiver. I did not get any damage to the driveway and it was a large crane, way more than what was needed.   :P

If the driver had requested I sign a waiver, I would have refused as that responsibility would fall to the dealer givern that his responsibility was not only to hire the crane but to deliver in good working order my tub in its location.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 10:10:33 am »
I have done many crane installs.

In our case, the customer is told upfront that I will call the crane guy that we like, the price is estimated, and the customer is told that they will have to pay the operator of the crane on the day of the lift.

I also look at their driveway and tell them that setting the crane on it may crack it (concrete drive) or groove it (blacktop or dirt drive).

The crane operator that we use has been doing lifts for us so long that we gave him a card on his last birthday. He is licensed, insured, prompt, and very very good at what he does. But he still can't look at a driveway and determine if the underlying structure or bed is going to be enough to support his machine without risk.

I have seen cement drives crack, and I have seen brick sidewalks not crack - it all depends upon the invisible support underneath - and the crane guy can't even begin to guess at that.

Shoppers: if you are going to use a crane, consider two option: pay a bunch more for a huge crane that can do the lift from the street, or a tiny truck-mounted unit that most likely won't hurt your drive - but might.

We use the smallest crane we can: often lifting just past the gate or other obstacle and using the standard dolly tecniques to get the tub the rest of the way.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bethshar

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 11:52:45 am »
Well, the dealer spoke to his delivery guy.  He said that we had the choice of bringing the crane in and a heavy truck on the driveway would be an obvious risk.  Looks like we'll have to decide if we want to pursue anything.

On a happier note:  My salesperson stopped by this morning.     He went over all the controls, chem treatments, he bought over a bunch more chemicals.

He pointed out one thing I didn't know you can do with the Optima - you can switch around the large jets, or turn those oscilating jets so they oscilate up and down instead of side to side.  He changed the seat with the two jets to oscilate up and down - for variety.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 11:52:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42