What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Over-Thinking now: Sundance Chelsee or Bullfrog R7  (Read 17728 times)

mjdieth

Over-Thinking now: Sundance Chelsee or Bullfrog R7
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:50:29 am »
My head is starting to spin choosing the right tub.  I now have initial quotes (no negotiations yet) for a Sundance Chelsee at 7800 + tax or a Bullfrog R7 at 7300 + tax.  I am wet testing both this coming weekend but want to plan some of this in advance.  The problem I have with the Bullfrog is that the lighting is pretty terrible and non existent.  The Sundance just looks a lot better.  I almost don't want the Bullfrog to feel good because the Sundance is more visually appealing.  What would you guys do if this happens, do you go for a better feeling Bullfrog or the better looking and still not bad feeling Sundance?

Hot Tub Forum

Over-Thinking now: Sundance Chelsee or Bullfrog R7
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:50:29 am »

Thisismyname

Re: Over-Thinking now: Sundance Chelsee or Bullfrog R7
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:09:38 pm »
Looks are way down my list.

meriflower

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 12:55:01 pm »
I would go with the better feeling/therapy so a wet test will provide that for you. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 02:06:41 pm »
nobody cares about lights/waterfalls after 6 months...buy the spa that feels better

mjdieth

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 02:10:38 pm »
nobody cares about lights/waterfalls after 6 months...buy the spa that feels better

True, i'm just very disappointed that the more expensive R series looks worse than the X series.  It is really odd that Bullfrog went that route.

silversun

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:11:27 pm »
I really like the new chelsee. It got a minor refresh for the '17 model - i think lighting and control upgrades (maybe that's considered a major refresh in the hot tub biz, it's all still kinda new to me). But the chelsee really has the feeling of a higher end hot tub. Closer to the Optima than ever. Even if it didn't get the upgrades, I would take it over the R7 because of the foot dome, the jets felt more powerful, and easier water care with a combination of UV, Ozone, and sun-purity mineral system which really allows you minimize chemical usage.

the bullfrog was a little more basic. Although I liked the composite frame construction and their made in USA story, the Sundance won almost every other category.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:30:36 pm by silversun »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 02:12:22 pm »
While looks should not be at the top of anyone's list it won't necessarily be at the bottom either. Its like with my car, I mostly care about how it runs but in reality I do care with how it looks. Like it or not customers do picture what the tub will look like in their yard, what the lighting looks like in/out of the tub and even things like what kind of waterfall it has. A wet test is key but unless one shows itself to be an obvious winner over the other in the wet test then aesthetics will also play a part and understandably so to whatever degree it matters to the potential owner.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:48:23 pm »
I really like the new chelsee. It got a minor refresh for the '17 model - i think lighting and control upgrades (maybe that's considered a major refresh in the hot tub biz, it's all still kinda new to me). But the chelsee really has the feeling of a higher end hot tub. Closer to the Optima than ever. Even if it didn't get the upgrades, I would take it over the R7 because of the foot dome, the jets felt more powerful, and easier water care with a combination of UV, Ozone, and sun-purity mineral system which really allows you minimize chemical usage.

the bullfrog was a little more basic. Although I liked the composite frame construction and their made in USA story, the Sundance won almost every other category.

FYI...Ozone, Sun-Purity (silver ion cartridges) are items available on any spa and have been around for 15+ years and if you have an above average or heavy bather load you'll still use the same exact amount of traditional chemicals.  We were a Sundance dealer for 20+ years...90% of our customer base stopped buying the UV bulb after about 2 years realizing it wasn't doing much of anything...I still have a bunch here I'll sell for cost + shipping if anyone wants them shoot me a PM

mjdieth

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:53:47 pm »
While looks should not be at the top of anyone's list it won't necessarily be at the bottom either. Its like with my car, I mostly care about how it runs but in reality I do care with how it looks. Like it or not customers do picture what the tub will look like in their yard, what the lighting looks like in/out of the tub and even things like what kind of waterfall it has. A wet test is key but unless one shows itself to be an obvious winner over the other in the wet test then aesthetics will also play a part and understandably so to whatever degree it matters to the potential owner.

This was exactly what I was thinking.  I know comfort is number 1, but even if it lacks in the slightest, I have to default to looks.

silversun

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 04:55:28 pm »
and if you have an above average or heavy bather load you'll still use the same exact amount of traditional chemicals. 

By this logic, if you have an average bather load you'll use less chemicals. Hence my point that you can use less chemicals than a bullfrog spa.

I like that Sundance designed their products specifically for the combination of UV light, ozone, and mineral cartridge. It holds value to me. I also like that my dealer supports this system for water care, and designed their own water maintenance to work with it. Part of my buying buying decision was based on which water care system is easier, not just from brand to brand, but from dealer to dealer.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:01:11 pm by silversun »

silversun

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 05:06:46 pm »
and if you have an above average or heavy bather load you'll still use the same exact amount of traditional chemicals. 

By this logic, if you have an average bather load you'll use less chemicals. Hence my point that you can use less chemicals than a bullfrog spa.

I like that Sundance designed their products specifically for the combination of UV light, ozone, and mineral cartridge. It holds value to me. It might hold value to someone else who is on the fence.
I also like that my dealer supports this system for water care, and designed their own water maintenance to work with it. Part of my buying buying decision was based on which water care system is easier, not just from brand to brand, but from dealer to dealer. Each has their own quirks, and for me it came down to aligning with the right one and getting the right fit.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 05:29:21 pm »
My head is starting to spin choosing the right tub.  I now have initial quotes (no negotiations yet) for a Sundance Chelsee at 7800 + tax or a Bullfrog R7 at 7300 + tax.  I am wet testing both this coming weekend but want to plan some of this in advance.  The problem I have with the Bullfrog is that the lighting is pretty terrible and non existent.  The Sundance just looks a lot better.  I almost don't want the Bullfrog to feel good because the Sundance is more visually appealing.  What would you guys do if this happens, do you go for a better feeling Bullfrog or the better looking and still not bad feeling Sundance?

I agree with these guys. A better feel is way more important that a better look. But if the feel is good on both then........
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »
ftp://

I like that Sundance designed their products specifically for the combination of UV light, ozone, and mineral cartridge. It holds value to me. I also like that my dealer supports this system for water care, and designed their own water maintenance to work with it. Part of my buying buying decision was based on which water care system is easier, not just from brand to brand, but from dealer to dealer.

Did you end up getting a Sundance silver sun?

silversun

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 07:51:04 pm »
Yup. I reconsidered sundance when I found out the new ones had an ABS base. I went with the Optima in coastal/platinum. I was very close to buying the Chelsee though. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:12 pm »
Yup. I reconsidered sundance when I found out the new ones had an ABS base. I went with the Optima in coastal/platinum. I was very close to buying the Chelsee though.

Optima is a great tub. Did you end up,going through NE Spas?  Good luck with the new tub. When is it arriving?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42