What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 3298 times)

39lasalle

Vacation
« on: August 23, 2017, 02:02:32 pm »
We will be going on vacation the beginning of October for about a week.  We are using the bleach method.I was thinking of getting the "flippin frog" thing. Does anyone know if the 2 can mix or am I creating more of a headache?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Vacation
« on: August 23, 2017, 02:02:32 pm »

bud16415

Re: Vacation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 06:49:39 am »

I use the bleach and Dichlor method and when we go away I switch to the frog with the @ease cartridge. For 5 days without use I think you could hit it hard with a chlorine shock and also be fine.

The @ease cartridge is good for a month and when you return you can’t pull it out and let it dry for use later. For that reason I pry the top off the cartridge, fairly simple to do and take out ¾ of the content for say a one week vacation or one half if going for 2 weeks. Save the rest in a plastic used dichlor bottle I have remarked for next time. If that is too much messing around just use the cartridge up when you get back.   :)

buba

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 08:08:05 am »
If you want a cheaper solution than the flippin frog for vacations, pick up a 1 inch floater and some 1 inch chlorinating tablets. Should be able to find both for $20 or less at the big box stores in the US, maybe a little bit more at a spa supply store. You would have enough to last you for many vacations to come. You may also want to up the circulation cycle time while your out of town.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:09:52 pm »
If you want a cheaper solution than the flippin frog for vacations, pick up a 1 inch floater and some 1 inch chlorinating tablets. Should be able to find both for $20 or less at the big box stores in the US, maybe a little bit more at a spa supply store. You would have enough to last you for many vacations to come. You may also want to up the circulation cycle time while your out of town.

The tablets you are talking about are tri-chlor and made for cold water swimming pools. It is my understanding if you use them in a hot water spa they will break down very fast leading to super high chlorine levels and then dissipate equally as fast. Can you tell us the name or show a link to the type you recommend? 

buba

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 03:53:34 pm »
http://www.spadepot.com/Floating-Bromine-Chlorine-Dispenser-Feeder-P823?zmam=55673001&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=AC1001&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9dSop9Dw1QIVmI-zCh2OxQIJEAQYBCABEgJF9_D_BwE

Something like the above. The tablets are stacked in the tube and the bottom adjusts to control how much of the chlorine tab(s) are exposed to the water at any given time. As the exposed chlorine tab(s) are dissolved the ones higher up in the tube drop down. Should be cheaper than the flippin frog for vacation use.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:56:03 pm by buba »

Sam

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 04:46:33 pm »
DO NOT USE CHLORINE TABLETS IN A HOT TUB.  Bromine tablets are fine, but as noted above chlorine tablets are highly acidic and dissolve at the proper rate in a cold pool, not a small hot tub.  You will void most manufacturer's warranties using tri-chlor which is what chlorine tablets are.

buba

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:05:48 am »
mea culpa

I was not aware there was a difference between tablet and granular forms.

Would there be any harm in using my Brilliance Floater (Has a screen for using granular bromine) with granular Dichlor while on vacation?

https://spaandpoolstore.com/brilliance-for-spas-floater-hot-tub-feeder-40725/

https://spaandpoolstore.com/brilliance-for-spas-floater-feeder-replacement-screen-40701/

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 10:50:25 am »
 Pretty sure you don’t want to add bromine into a chlorine system.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 10:50:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42