What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: what is chlorine shock and do I need it?  (Read 1831 times)

Bpascua

what is chlorine shock and do I need it?
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:04:00 am »
Hello Guys,

I have had a hot tub for a few years. I am a chlorine user and pretty much i just add chlorine tabs to a skimmer and test the levels from time to time. I then PH up or down if things are going wrong. My question is what is shock and should I be using it? and if so what for.....am i missing an important part of spa care?

thanks

Brian

Hot Tub Forum

what is chlorine shock and do I need it?
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:04:00 am »

bud16415

Re: what is chlorine shock and do I need it?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:36:21 am »
What kind of chlorine tabs are you using? As far as I know there are not tabs made for Hot tubs that you can use this way. Tabs are made for cooler swimming pools.  There are bromine tabs that should be used in a floating dispenser. The product it sounds like you are using is trichlor and you should be using dichlor a slower release product for hotter water.

If you are using trichlor then it is most likely acting as a chlorine shock releasing sanitizer quickly and then not working till the next dose. When you drop the tab in how long do they last?

I think we need more info on what you are putting in.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:44:59 am »
Trichlor is also very bad for your spa. It has a very high acid level and will require a ton of PH adjustment. Are you sure it's not bromine?
Retired

Conine2965

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:02:24 am »
I use dichlor in my hot tub which is powdered chlorine. It is a sometimes labeled as chlorine shock works great add a little every time I use tub and if water gets a little off just add a little extra.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:02:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42