What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover lock help  (Read 3444 times)

Thisismyname

Cover lock help
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:48:52 am »
Planning out our space still for the not yet ordered Bullfrog A8.

The tub will be under our deck built into the side of a hill surrounded by retaining walls on one side and the back.

Planning on a few feet of space behind for the cover to fall into but the sides will only have maybe a foot of clearance to the wall for walking.

My question is how can i manage the cover locks on the back of the cover if they aren't very accessible?  Doesn't seem like the cover lift will keep that side locked down on its own without locks like some other lifts I saw will.

Any ideas?  We have 2 small kids plus lots of others in the neighborhood so definitely will need it locked

Hot Tub Forum

Cover lock help
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:48:52 am »

bud16415

Re: Cover lock help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:40:14 am »

You wont need locks on the side where the lifter is attached. They put them on both ends because some people don’t use a lifter.

I would leave 18-24 on the non-lifter side and at least24 on the end with the lifter. Some lifters require more space than others make sure you ask the question.   

Thisismyname

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:43:46 am »
Well when I was at the Bullfrog dealer I pulled up on the lifter side of the cover and it seemed to open right up.  I think the lifter bar rests in the middle of the cover so there is nothing to hold it down.

danthespaman316

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:53:37 am »
You say that there is retaining wall on one side and the back. If that means the opposite side and front are open you should be able walk to the back side with its 2 feet of clearance, undo the backside locks and open the cover. Let me know if I'm  missing something.

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:24 pm »
Sounds like a center lifter. There are DIY lifters that work like this also. Our lifter takes away some of the weight and is screwed into both sides of the cover on that side so it can’t lift. If you go with the lifter type you mentioned then you have to leave room or just latch the one corner on the lifter end. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:30 pm »
Well when I was at the Bullfrog dealer I pulled up on the lifter side of the cover and it seemed to open right up.  I think the lifter bar rests in the middle of the cover so there is nothing to hold it down.

Was it a Covermate I: http://www.leisureconcepts.com/products/cover-lifts/covermate-i/ very common lifter that will require (in my opinion, I know the website states differently) 12" - 14" of clearance at minimum. Another common lifter is the Covermate III: http://www.leisureconcepts.com/products/cover-lifts/covermate-iii/ another common option that utilizes shocks to help lift the cover and requires (again in my opinion) 8"-9" minimum behind the spa.  Neither directly "attach" to the cover but if there is a wall directly behind the spa with no wind concerns the cover should not be affected much without clips installed, if you REALLY want clips you could utilize 'hurricane straps' that are permanently attached to the backside of the spa, then when you are done using it, close the cover and pull those hurricane straps across the cover and clip them in the front....just some options...Good Luck!

Thisismyname

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:39:36 pm »
You say that there is retaining wall on one side and the back. If that means the opposite side and front are open you should be able walk to the back side with its 2 feet of clearance, undo the backside locks and open the cover. Let me know if I'm  missing something.

Well there will be a full retaining wall on one side and a wall across the back.  The other side will have a wall tapered down, so not full height but a wall. 

I don't think i will be able to get behind the tub. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 09:31:37 pm »
 Some lifts if done right, CM1 CM3 you can keep the clips in the back locked with the lid open.   As long as it guy installing the lift knows what he is doing when attaching the clips. 

Thisismyname

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:08:22 pm »
CM1 and CM3 are covermate 1 and 3? 

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Concepts-CoverMate-Hydraulic-Cover/dp/B002WKM6WQ

Covermate III looks like it has pretty horrible reviews on amazon
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:13:47 pm by Thisismyname »

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 12:21:24 pm »
CM1 and CM3 are covermate 1 and 3? 

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Concepts-CoverMate-Hydraulic-Cover/dp/B002WKM6WQ

Covermate III looks like it has pretty horrible reviews on amazon

what is pictured there is not a real Covermate III, looks like some Chinese knock off

danthespaman316

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 11:29:26 am »

Well there will be a full retaining wall on one side and a wall across the back.  The other side will have a wall tapered down, so not full height but a wall. 

I don't think i will be able to get behind the tub.

Essentials and other companies offer sets of straps that run continuously from one side of the tub to the other over the cover. If you get a set of these you could run them front to back under the lifter bar. This is assuming that the lifter will tilt away from the open end. By doing so, you would only need to unlock the front side that you have full access to. The strap gets flipped over the bar and held in place when you lift the cover and as long as you can reach the bar when the cover is closed you can grab the strap and lock the open end when finished, the back side never gets unlocked. You won't need to use the cover's security straps if you do this. It's the only way I can think of to get a truly tight seal with access to one side.

http://www.essentials-spasupplies.com/products.php?pid=380

Thisismyname

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 09:01:57 am »

Here is the area carved out under the deck for the tub.  The wall will be full height across the right side and back.  The left side will be tapered down, front wide open.

Total width will be maybe 10'...probably closer to 9.5' So an with an 8' tub that will leave maybe 7" per side.  Not enough room for me.

Will try the CM3 and see if we can keep the back locked all the time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 09:01:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42