What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone else asked by a dealer to pay in full, up front, by check in the mail?  (Read 6095 times)

silversun

I thought I had a deal on a hot tub today. The dealer sent an invoice, we agreed on a price over email. Fine. But then the dealer asked me to pay the entire price up front, by sunday, or the deal expires. He asked that I mail him a check. keep in mind I haven't actually signed any contract, nor did he ask me to do so. I've just seen a quote over email and said 'looks good'. Then I read his payment terms and asked him to adjust the terms, to pay 50% now, 50% upon delivery (seems fairly standard right?). He wouldn't budge. I can afford to pay the entire price now, but why would I?

It's a factory order new spa. Not a floor model, or any other strange condition. He was adamant that I paid up front, and would not agree to half now, then the balance upon successful delivery (which I thought was fairly standard).

I even told the dealer I wouldn't need to take delivery for a few months, as we're doing some renovations. So it's not like he's trying to move inventory.

Aside from this appearing on the surface as super shady, my problem is that I have zero legal recourse. There's nothing that says he needs to deliver a working spa after I pay him, or that he needs to deliver a spa at all.

Whats the deal with that? Is that common practice? How did others agree to terms, pricing and payment?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:00:32 pm by silversun »

Hot Tub Forum

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Is it a store or online company?

silversun

Store. And one with a fairly good reputation.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
I've seen 100% up front as common and 50% sometimes (might depend on if its being ordered or in stock) but ALWAYS there needs to be a contract which covers both sides. you shoulddn't hand them any $$/CC/check until moments after (or simultaneous to) them handing you a copy of a properly detailed contract signed by both sides.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

kimba

It should be 50% so they can order and the other 50% upon delivery,  I would not pay 100%..

silversun

my guess is the dealer was making a margin he was not comfortable with, and was so unhappy selling at the price we agreed to that he he made the terms of the deal unreasonably (entirely in his favor).

The fact that he wasn't even open to signing a contract was probably the biggest red flag. If he even mentioned it, or responded to my request for a contract, I maybe would have paid the full amount up front!

I'm glad I didn't give him my business. It would have been a bad relationship.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:54:09 pm by silversun »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
I typically ask for 20% deposit balance on delivery unless it's a clearance floor model then I want paid in full. I do have contracts though. I noticed you were in New England. What part?

silversun

Just north of Boston.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
 You said you were not ready for a couple of months?   You may not know, but was he planning on ordering the spa in, and sitting on it till you were ready, or sitting on the money then ordering? 

In these cases I will take usually take a 500 or 1000 dollar good faith deposit to hold the price, then more when the customer gets closer or ready to order. You might ask him if that's the case.  Also I tell them that good faith deposit is refundable if they change their mind.   

All that being said, I wouldn't pay 100% up front.    Maybe if I were loaded and money was no object, but otherwise 50% is enough.   
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:45:19 am by Jacuzzi Jim »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Just north of Boston.

You have some good dealers up there. I'm south of Boston. Check out precision pools and spas in amesbury (caldera and marquis) or New England Spas. They are both great companies who pride themselves on customer service

silversun

Precision pools has been great, but I'm leaning towards Sundance over Caldera. Cant say the same for New England Spas (in Natick). That was the dealer which demanded payment in full, through the mail, with only the promise of a sales receipt in return!!

They had a decent rep from what i can tell, so I thought it may have been common practice to pull the stunt they pulled. Guess not!

Sam

Sounds super shady.  Would not pay in full up front without some sort of contract.  Even then, I may not.

d00nut

Precision pools has been great, but I'm leaning towards Sundance over Caldera. Cant say the same for New England Spas (in Natick). That was the dealer which demanded payment in full, through the mail, with only the promise of a sales receipt in return!!

They had a decent rep from what i can tell, so I thought it may have been common practice to pull the stunt they pulled. Guess not!

Talk to Denise (she is the sales manager.)  She is reasonable.  She is super nice as well.  Sounds like you got one of those sales people that need to meet a quota...

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member

Talk to Denise (she is the sales manager.)  She is reasonable.  She is super nice as well.  Sounds like you got one of those sales people that need to meet a quota...

+1 to that comment. Though I actually think Denise is the general manager there now. I've heard. Itching but good things about her. I don't know anybody from the Natixk store only the norwell location

silversun

I ended up speaking with Denise, who informed me that their current promotion does in fact requires payment in full by cash or check.  She then went on to say 'I'm sure the sales person would have mailed you a contract after you mailed the check'. When I explained to her how utterly ridiculous this concept was, she said "well, i'm not concerned if you take your business elsewhere. And need to be careful what you post on yelp, thats what lawyers are for". So much for Denise being reasonable. Seriously?!!! This is the worst company I've ever dealt with.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42