What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub for Canadian Winters  (Read 15960 times)

frankrom

Hot Tub for Canadian Winters
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:14:53 pm »
Hi Guys and Gals,

New here!! Looked like a good site to get the information I was looking for...

I am sure this topic has been discussed many times in the past... but as time goes on technology and manufacturing changes so I figured I should ask regardless.

I am looking for a hot tub (obviously) but one that is going to be good for the Canadian winter.  I heard from a few people you want to really make sure you get a good quality hot tub for many reasons... but specially regarding the winter.

Can someone make some suggestions?  Some of the things that catch my attention in a hot tub are listed below....

- Salt water system... figured it would be better for skins
- Self maintaining or monitoring
- Two loungers
- A hard top (capable of being walked on [kids])
- Seats minimum of 5 but ideally even more!
- Exterior to be made out of material that doesn't fade over time... I don't want to get in a situation of having to sand or stain my hot tub
- All the other obvious stuff like a good sound system, lights, etc

I am not sure what I need in the way of pumps, motors, etc... this is all very new to me.

Any assistance would be great.  I did call Arctic spas and they made it sound like a system like that would be 15-20k seems excessive doesn't it?

Thanks,

Frank

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub for Canadian Winters
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:14:53 pm »

MarKee

Re: Hot Tub for Canadian Winters
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:43:25 am »
Check out Marquis Spas if you have a local dealer.  In particular, look at the Signature Series. They will be great for the Canadian winter, and designed to last.  They have a filtration/water management system that is very easy to take care of, cover that can be walked on, and a DuraWood exterior cabinet material, similar to Trex Decking that is as weather resistant as they come.  Salt systems have mixed reviews, generally a bit more negative reviews than positive.  I'm not a fan. You can achieve the same low chemical levels by using ozone and mineral cartridge systems, why build an expensive chlorine/bromine factory in to your hot tub?  That's what a salt system is, it's a chlorine or bromine generator.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:12:14 am »
Where do you live in Canada?
Retired

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:22:04 am »
I live 30 miles south of Lake Erie and we get 300” of snow / lake effect and temps as low as -30f the last few winters. I’m guessing we are about as brutal in the winter as much of Canada.

Part of it is the tub you buy and part of it is how you set it up and maintain it that makes hot tubbing in the north enjoyable. We use ours when subzero outside and it is wonderful.

We looked around a fair amount and ended up buying a Caldera Geneva. For a lot of reasons and winter usage was one of them. First I liked the insulation system they use. It is a dense pack fiber not a sprayed in foam. It is called fiber-cor. In the event of a leak one of the sides can be removed indicated by where water is appearing under the tub as water drains straight thru this material. The insulation can be pulled out and put in a bag the repair made and the same insulation stuffed back in. it has excellent R value and that’s a plus in energy costs in the winter keeping the tub hot. It also came with a high quality cover. Kids shouldn’t be walking on top of any hot tub so that wasn’t a factor for us. The second feature Caldera puts in these tubs I liked was a split GFCI breaker panel they provide with the tub. Ours has a 50 amp line run to the panel from our main panel in the house and then from there to the tub there is a 20a and a 30a power feed. The 20a runs the heater and the 30a the rest of the tub. Hot tubs keep the water in the tub warm for a long time because the tub is insulated. The equipment area is not insulated as the motors need cooling when they are running and the pumps and feed lines for the tub are in this area also. If the heater fails in the coldest time of the year the water in the tub will stay warm for a week with the cover closed. The equipment compartment will cool quickly. Our tub will go into survival mode when the heater fails and the pumps will slowly circulate water from the tub keeping the pumps and lines from freezing for several day and give you ample time to get a service call in and the heater replaced.
All most all tubs now have low maint. exteriors, and lots of bells and whistles with lighting etc. You have to find a tub that suits your expectations. For example we have one lounger and love it and share it. We wouldn’t want two however as a lounger takes up the space of two seats and works certain areas of the body. Our tub is what they called a circuit tub where each location has a special job and exposes a different amount of your body to the air for cooling down. The lounger is the most immersive seat and after 15 minutes you are ready to sit up and change seats and cool down a little. The way to find what you like is wet testing. No one can advise you what you will like there.

We would have loved our tub out away from the house under the stars. But I didn’t see that as practical with our weather. It is no fun being in a tub in a cold rain or windy winter storm. On the other hand we wanted a view and didn’t want the tub indoors for all kinds of reasons. So, we set it in a sheltered corner just one step outside our door with a covered pergola above 10 months of the year we have a wonderful view of the woods and watch the snow drift down. The worst two months or if the weather is storming I have soft side covers I can pull shut to break the wind and cold. I have a hose handy for filling the tub and I have a selector in the house to feed it both hot or cold or mixed water. The hot works great for filter cleaning and also ice removal from the steps and cover.

In the cold weather I go out and shovel snow and de-ice and open the tub. We shower then and jump right in. if the tub was 50’ from the house and buried in snow I know I would say forget it.

That’s how we do it I hope that helps answer a few of your questions.         

frankrom

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:39:41 am »
Thanks guys...

I live in Mississauga

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:50:38 pm »
You might stop in to Jameson Pool & Spa in Mississauga.  Good luck in your search!

frankrom

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:33:39 pm »
No opinions on brandsor quality except the one?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 07:36:29 pm »
Thanks guys...

I live in Mississauga

I live in Northern Minnesota and not many people live in the parts of Canada that are colder than here. Stick with a reputable brand that is fully insulated and spring for extra if its available inside and in the cover and you will be fine.

Arctic is fine but there are others just as well insulated.
Retired

frankrom

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »
I already bought into the idea of getting a quality tub.  I am trying to get suggestions on good quality brands similar to that of arctic spas. 

Can someone please recommend some brands worth calling. I already acknowledge the rest. 

richierich

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 12:08:34 am »
Hot spring, Marquis, Sundance, Caldera, Jacuzzi, Bullfrog, Dimension one, Artesian. All quality brands.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 12:30:31 am »
What about Arctic Spas? A home grown Canadian product specially designed for cold Canadian winters.

https://www.arcticspas.com/

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:32:11 am by JacuzziJack »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 07:03:13 am »
What about Arctic Spas? A home grown Canadian product specially designed for cold Canadian winters.

https://www.arcticspas.com/

LOL
Retired

richierich

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 12:00:49 pm »
Arctic was already mentioned, he asked for more.

frankrom

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 12:28:02 pm »
Arctic was already mentioned, he asked for more.

Thank you lol.  Glad some are reading the post.  Seems as if getting brand recommendations is harder than I expected. Lol

bud16415

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »
i didn't think it was too hard.  :o But unfortunately i have only soaked in a few tubs. Our friend has a HS and he hasn't complained of any cold weather problems. All of the top tier tubs actually should give you no problems as mentioned above and the problems cold weather brings with it will have to be dealt with no mater what tub you get.

Marketing I thinks paints a false picture of people in cold climates enjoying nature in the tub. it is really nice but they never show them in that 32 degree rain storm.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42