What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 1790 times)

ndfw78

Where do I start?
« on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:47 pm »
Getting divorced moving out, wanting to be basic, but my one thing of enjoyment I want is a hot tub.  I like to work out, so I would like to be able to come home soak in a hot tub, and watch football.  I have no idea where to start so things I need to consider are the following.

Since I’m buying a new place I would ideally like to get something with a concrete slab to set the hot tub on, and I know I would need 220 ran.  Anything I should look for in a new house that would make the installation easier, I won’t install it, but just trying to plan ahead.

I’m really looking for the best value based on my requirements, so the budget is cheap as possible, but something that is the best value.  I don’t want a cheap tub that will break, but I don’t need something ridiculously high end.  The Toyota Camry of hot tubs is what I’m looking for, but something I’m guessing that’s more like a fully loaded Camry.

I like to work out, so not sure if there are any features in a hot tub to sooth sore muscles, if there is I would like that.

I want something that will fit 5 people comfortably.

I want something that I can stream music via Bluetooth.

An important item is I want to be able to watch TV through a smart TV, ideally something using Roku, so I want to be able to wirelessly stream Sling, Netflix, or Plex to my hot tub TV and just relax.  Not sure is the best value to get something built into a tub, or do I look into outdoor tv solutions.  If anyone has a setup they could suggest on this side please let me know.

Also do I consider used verse new?

If anyone can directed me to something to go read to get up to speed, I consider myself somewhat handy, I like to know what I’m buying but understand it as well.  Any resources I should read up on please share, I’m not looking to be a master technician, just wanting to probably know more than the average consumer.

I live in north dallas area.

Again I’m not wanting to go cheap, but fully loaded Camry of 5 person hot tubs is my thought.

Hot Tub Forum

Where do I start?
« on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:47 pm »

devpan81

Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:36:34 pm »
No expert by any means and we are still trying to choose ourselves...but here is what I know.

TV is better buying separate!

Wet Test before buying as everyone has their own preference.

I personally loved the Hotsprings Pulse...which runs $11K with upgraded steps and cradle & stereo.  But can range from area to area.

The Marquis Vector - some love & it is a little more reasonable...but I did not love it. 

I found Bull Frog to be expensive.

GL

Conine2965

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:34:29 pm »
I have the marquis vector 94L they also have a non lounger version prices between 7500 and 9500 depending on options. We are really enjoying ours so far.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:05:56 am »
There are a lot of brands out there. In your area, Metro DFW, there are likely a bunch of dealers. I guess I'd start by going to various dealers and ask if they have any close-outs or last year's models ...or even used or reposessed Hot Tubs. If you know other H/T owners, find out if any dealers have better reputations than others, and who to avoid if any. Realitors should have some idea I would think. I'm sure on C/L there are lots of people who are selling used hot tubs in your area. Probably better off sticking to something newer, within 3 years old if you want fewer problems. You'll see a lot of older and really inexpensive hot tubs advertised too, under $500. These can be great deals for people who don't mind getting in and working on the pumps and/or controls. I bought a cheap one and still run into problems from time to time. If you don't want to deal with issues, better off sticking with something on the newer side (in not brand new). There are guys around here who advertise on C/L who specialize on moving hot tubs too if you did find a good used one. Maybe the movers also have good, used H/T's they've accumulated too. Worth a call.

If you could buy a brand new one in the $5k range from a dealer that included delivery (maybe not hook-up) that was serviced, it might be better than an older one for $3k where you needed to pay someone $500 - $800 to move and then have to deal with the potential additional service issues. But I'm not sure what you will find for $5k down there in the way of a new H/T. Hot tubs get reposessed and traded in from time to time, maybe you can get on a dealer waiting list for when something cheap does come in.

As for features, I personally would avoid technology bells and whistles and just get a good Smart TV and soundbar or hang some bluetooth speakers on or near the sides of the H/T so you can do your audio/video streaming that way. It'll sound better and won't crap out or need $100/hr service to fix. Hot tub speakers are subjected to chemicals and don't last that long plus since you are trying to stay on a budget, these are features of a premium hot tub. But features like LED lighting (pretty much standard these days), a waterfall is nice, foot dome (foot jets) is a nice feature, A lot of people like a lounger seat to cool off in after sitting in a regular seat. Having seats of different heights is nice because maybe after a while you don't want to be completely submerged anymore and want to sit half-submerged for a while. Some newer H/T's can communicate to a smart phone to give you status updates. Not too long ago the word on the street was that these didn't work very well, but maybe they're straightened out now (still premium features though). So those are features to consider.

I would check with your local municipality (the construction division) and find out what permits are needed for the prospective region you are looking to buy a home in ....and what the costs of those permits are. Where I live, no permits are needed for a portable hot tub, but not too far away in another community for example, permits are needed for Plumbing, Electrical, Construction and so on. These can add up to a few hundred bucks, maybe even more. It would be a good ideal to at least know in advance what they require so you don't get surprised. Also, there might be restrictions on hot tub location/distance from the house or lot-line too which you'd want to know about so you didn't end up buying a place only to later find out you can't put a H/T nearby due to some unforeseen circumstance. Just sayin'.

There are a lot of great youtube hot tub videos. As for with ones are better, Hot Springs, Caldera, Bullfrog, seem to be mentioned a lot on this site for their quality construction. I guess you never know, even Camry's have problems from time to time.

Good luck
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:44:00 pm by JacuzziJack »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:05:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42