What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First water change!  (Read 4191 times)

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
First water change!
« on: August 16, 2004, 10:17:48 am »
 :D
Well, we've had our first water change. And thought I would share this with you all. To share but also get feedback on tricks or whatever.

Woke-up Sunday morning and looked outside. Was going to be a stupendous day and decided that I would change the water in our tub for the first time. TDS (total dissolved solids) were running about 1400, water clarity was so-so, and at three months of usage, heavy usage at times) it was more that time.

Went outside with my coffee in hand and turned the breakers to the tub off.

First thing I realized, using the drainage system, although effective and simple, is that it is a much slower process. So off I went to local RONA Wharehouse store (big box) and bought myself a submersible sump pump ($98.97 CND) and voila, 9 min and 38 seconds later (I timed it) all that was left was half an inch at the bottom of the foot well.

I decided that I would clean out all of the nook and cranies of the tub so took the head rests off. Simple and easy. Took the cleaning product that came with the tub and rubbed down all of the surface.  Noticed that for the most part, the tub was clean where it was under the water, at the water line there was a 2 inch line of scum which I did not notice until cleaning it empty. I was also very surprised at the thickness of the scum in the filter well. Much wider and thicker. But the cleaner removed everything in no time at all.

Brought the hose out to the tub and rinsed everything off juduciously, Plugged the sump pum in and drained all of the dirty water.

changed the filters and put the head rests back on. Tossed the hose in and 28 minutes later had the tub full again. Pleasantly surprised to see the water temp at 75 F, it is warmer in summer out of the ground.

4.5 hours later we were back at 100F.

What I thought was going to be a long and hardous process turned out to be a total of 1 hour 50 minutes from start to finish minus the wait for heat. No sweat or worry. called the dealer after refilling to get the levels of start up chems. Tossed those in.  Dealer showed up a little later to see how it went, he was on his way home and heard I'd done a water change.  Had a beer and cigar on the deck with him and spoke about hot tubs.  Could life be any simpler?  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

First water change!
« on: August 16, 2004, 10:17:48 am »

rick

Re: First water change!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 10:57:37 am »
Can I borrow your new sump pump when I change mine?   :)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:11:18 pm »
I use the built in drain on our Optima, and I think it usually takes about 30 minutes to drain.  That's using a 3/4 inch garden hose to run the water out.  Not sure if the larger hose speeds up the drain or not.
I usually take about 2 hours to drain, clean, and refill.

Did you have any problems with re priming your pumps when you refilled?  I always get the "FLO" message on the control panel, and have to follow the special priming instructions.  Not too big of a deal unless it's late fall or early spring when our outside water is about 60 degrees.  Brrrrrr........

Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 12:31:52 pm »
I use the two inch quick drain hose.  It is quite a bit faster.  To avoid the air lock, you have to fill slowly through the filter area.  

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 01:09:51 pm »
Hey, when you all fill your tub, do you:

A) let the hose run for 5 mins or so before putting it into the tub, to try and remove any nasties growing in the hose before they get into the tub?  

B) stick the hose into the pipe thingy in the filter compartment, so that you're filling through the lines, which in theory will minimize air locks?  (We were told by the delivery guys that this was the best way to fill it up... filling by just sticking the hose in the main part of the tub could result in air being stuck in the lines.  Even though this should not be an issue... it just seemed like a really easy way to "be sure".)  I think this is what Tony is talking about...

Jodi
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 01:10:37 pm by bulmer4nc »
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 01:45:09 pm »
I do fill thru the filter area, but not slowly.  Perhaps that's the problem- I just turn on the hose full blast.
Next time I'll run the water slower at first.  
Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 02:15:44 pm »
You know, I do run the hose a little before I fill to be sure nothing is "inside" there.  I usually put the hose into the intake pipe, but I have also just filled by placing the hose in the filter compartment with the same results.  As I said before, the hose at full blast gives me air block (hicup).

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 03:39:20 pm »
In all the years I've been selling, training and filling Coleman spas, I've never had an air lock. We just put the hose in the spa and turn it on.

Why would certain spas be prone to air locks in their plumbing?

Spahappy

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 08:48:49 am »
If your going to use a pump to empty your tub make sure it is an oil less pump, the kind used for water gardens. The Little Giant Water Wizard that pumps 1200 gallons an hour is a good choice.
I have water gardens and use them in them and always keep an extra one on hand that I can use to empty my tub.
You can get these  on eBay most of the time or at Lowes or Home Depot at a much larger price than  eBay.
I don't know but maybe the sump pumps are now oil less, but check before you buy because they are or were prone to leaking the  oil and it could cause you a problem with an oil film on your tub for you to clean up.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 11:40:11 am »
I did not get any airlocks when I started the tub up. Filled in the tub but not through the filter compartment. When it was full I turned the breakers on and turned on the jets. They all cleared in under a couple of seconds and we were done.

Did not know that certain submersible sump pums were oil or oiless. Will need to check.

Oh yeah I filled directly without letting the hose run, but then again I had been using it for sometime to rinse the tub after cleaning the shell.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 04:46:44 pm »
I just did my first water change too, its as easy as you make it.  We drained overnight, in the AM wiped it out (no scum line that I could see/feel) refilled, added MetalGon, waited 2hr, while waiting applied 303 to cover, fixed pH/Alk, waited one hr, tested again - all ok, added 2oz Spa Defender, by afternoon water was warmed and crystal clear and looking beautiful.  We did shock that night tho after use, so tub was down for 14hr then.

I think I say about 3times a day how much I love that tub.  I do think I will use Swirl Away every other drain tho, mostly for prevention of ick.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 04:46:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42