What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis Signature vs Artesian Island Elite  (Read 11975 times)

bwspa

Marquis Signature vs Artesian Island Elite
« on: July 29, 2017, 12:01:07 pm »
How does the Artesian Island Elite series compare with Marquis Signature series?  I'm looking at the Epic and have wet tested.  I haven't tested Artesian yet and am trying to decide if the drive is worth it.  I'm very much looking for powerful water flow and that's why I'm interested in the HK jets on the Epic.  Does the DirectFlow jets with more pumps compare favorably?  Based on the marketing, it seems reasonable that no diverters and each seat having its own pump vs two pumps splitting the tub in two would be a good thing, but again, it's also marketing speak.

From pricing perspective, is the Island Elite in the Signature Series price range (Grand Caymen Elite/Grand Bahamas Elite vs Epic/Euphoria)?

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis Signature vs Artesian Island Elite
« on: July 29, 2017, 12:01:07 pm »

Sam

Re: Marquis Signature vs Artesian Island Elite
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 01:16:39 pm »
Yes, those should be pretty comparable.  I'm a big fan of Artesian's Island Spa line.  They definitely have decently strong jets and I think they offer a lot for the money.  Depending on how far of a drive I'd say it's worth it.  Marquis makes an awesome hot tub, as you've seen.  You can't go wrong with either really.

bwspa

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:30:10 pm »
Well I took the drive and was able to we test a Grand Bahamas Island Elite.  Pricing is in the Martin's Epic range, or better if we don't finance.  Thought the Jets were strong and had a real good feel.  I did like the zone control capability more so than the half and half method of most tubs, including the Epic.  Warranty seems comparable. 

Decisions decisions

bwspa

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:33:34 am »
Some things I'm still mulling over - the Artesian had circulation pump and the Marquis does not.  Marquis dealer indicated it wasn't needed and they never do much compared to running full pumps on their clean up cycle and another 2-4 hour run.  Yet it seems many people here consider a circulation pump a good add-on, or at least part of their initial search criteria.  Thoughts?

I also saw Artesian mention microban antibacterial coating on their acrylic. Is this common among brands? I never heard Marquis or anyone else I can recall state this.  I'm pretty sure none of the spas manufacturer are making their own acrylic so this might be the norm.

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 01:59:09 pm »
The circulation pump debate has been going on for years. In my opinion, I think the higher flow filtration cycle systems (like Marquis) work better.  If you look back to the 90s/early 2000s, a lot of older Marquis had 24 hr circ pumps, and Marquis went away from that because of their likeliness to fail.

If you look at the forum there is a recent topic about someone complaining that they had a Bullfrog that filtered fine with filtration cycles, but now they are having issues with the circulation pump system they bought on their new spa.

People will argue it both ways, your water will be easy to take care of with either brand.

Most salespeople don't know this, but Lucite (the major acrylic provider for spa shells) discontinued Microban several years ago. It was an old sales pitch that salespeople are still using probably because they don't know better.  I don't believe Aristech (the other acrylic provider for spa shells) has Microban either.

Marquis shells had Microban back in the day and I could never tell a difference. The current Marquis filters have a Microban coating, but it's hard to say if it's doing much.  It does help prevent the growth of mold or bacteria on the surface of the filter.

Both are good brands. Here are a few things I prefer  about the Marquis: cabinet material is stronger and similar to Trex material (I've never seen it fade), HK40 jets and geyser jets are very nice, underneath the hood is a little cleaner on Marquis (look in the equipment compartments of both), DuraBase ABS bottom standard on Marquis  (I think it is optional on Artesian and the Artesian bottom isn't quite as robust from what I've seen).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:06:15 pm by MarKee »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 04:52:58 pm »
The circulation pump debate has been going on for years. In my opinion, I think the higher flow filtration cycle systems (like Marquis) work better.  If you look back to the 90s/early 2000s, a lot of older Marquis had 24 hr circ pumps, and Marquis went away from that because of their likeliness to fail.

If you look at the forum there is a recent topic about someone complaining that they had a Bullfrog that filtered fine with filtration cycles, but now they are having issues with the circulation pump system they bought on their new spa.

People will argue it both ways, your water will be easy to take care of with either brand.

Most salespeople don't know this, but Lucite (the major acrylic provider for spa shells) discontinued Microban several years ago. It was an old sales pitch that salespeople are still using probably because they don't know better.  I don't believe Aristech (the other acrylic provider for spa shells) has Microban either.

Marquis shells had Microban back in the day and I could never tell a difference. The current Marquis filters have a Microban coating, but it's hard to say if it's doing much.  It does help prevent the growth of mold or bacteria on the surface of the filter.

Both are good brands. Here are a few things I prefer  about the Marquis: cabinet material is stronger and similar to Trex material (I've never seen it fade), HK40 jets and geyser jets are very nice, underneath the hood is a little cleaner on Marquis (look in the equipment compartments of both), DuraBase ABS bottom standard on Marquis  (I think it is optional on Artesian and the Artesian bottom isn't quite as robust from what I've seen).

One more thing, the more pumps it has the more it will cost to operate and repair.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:03:33 pm »
Some things I'm still mulling over - the Artesian had circulation pump and the Marquis does not.  Marquis dealer indicated it wasn't needed and they never do much compared to running full pumps on their clean up cycle and another 2-4 hour run.  Yet it seems many people here consider a circulation pump a good add-on, or at least part of their initial search criteria.  Thoughts?

I also saw Artesian mention microban antibacterial coating on their acrylic. Is this common among brands? I never heard Marquis or anyone else I can recall state this.  I'm pretty sure none of the spas manufacturer are making their own acrylic so this might be the norm.

While I may be a proponent of circ pumps for energy efficiency and better fit with ozone, I also see that those that prefer the non-circ option for more filtering and one less pump for future repairs have valid points as well. Every spa company like Artesian that uses a circ pump in fact also has non-circ models as well so its not like those companies are saying a non-circ option is a poor choice. You shouldn't let that be your decision point.

As far as the talk of a microban antibacterial coating on the acrylic goes, whoever is selling you that point probably also pushed the old rust proofing option during their car salesman days.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 06:11:49 pm »

One more thing, the more pumps it has the more it will cost to operate and repair.

True and not true:  The circ pump is less than one amp (half amp I think) vs low speed on a Marquis which is like 3 amps or so, plus you have start-stop-start-stop wear and tear on the primary pump, whereas the Island Elites have 3/4 pumps + circ pump:  The DirectFlo has its own seating area (x2) so you are operating a 3BHP (1.5HP or so) if you're in one of those seats, you're only using one pump. 

BUT- If you're using all 4-5 pumps then yes- you might be using more amperage all together.  So it depends on the avg. number of users and, as noted, depends on what motors are used:  Island Elites have 2-3 3BHP motors (depending on 7 or 8 ft spa) that two are for the DirectFlo seats and one is for the footblaster area and a 6HP motor that is for the other areas.  So it gets pretty convoluted.

I think though that I (and maybe we) may be way down the rabbit hole:  If you like the feel of one over the other, that is your answer.  When I was at my old job I looked into brands to take on and I almost went with Marquis but chose Artesian instead.  The things that swayed me were DirectFlow, the full 5 year warranty that was parts and labor, its ergonomics and the @ease in-line system.  The things that almost swayed me to Marquis was the H.O.T. zone jetting, the clean build (as MarKee noted), the ergonomics, and the ABS pan being standard. 

As others noted:  Marquis and Artesian are great tubs.  I bet we can all agree you're going to make the right decision, whatever it may be.

bwspa

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:08 pm »
Lots of good info.  Most if not all of the time it'll be one or two of us in the spa.  I'm mainly looking for variety of hydrotherapy seats.  I like a strong jet which is what led me to Marquis Epic.  I do love sitting in front of or across from the tower jets.   My main hesitation on the Epic is that I have to turn off portions of the seats to use the HK jets, which affects what my wife can use.  That and the trizone valve on the lounge seat, when set to full HK jetting, was very loud and distracting- the other side was much quieter.

I was surprised at the feel of the Grand Bahama Elite. The Grand Bahama can be controlled independently and all jets in a seat used at once which was a plus. 

Both loungers are comfortable but the HK jets on the Epic would fill my shorts with so much air I'd float out.  Pretty sure I'd need a different suit or none to stay seated long enough to enjoy those jets.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 07:00:10 am »
Pretty sure I'd need a different suit or none to stay seated long enough to enjoy those jets.

Choosing none is always the best........
Retired

bwspa

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 08:09:38 am »
Is the upgraded cover from Artesian (6"  pro guard) worth upgrading to vs the standard 4" - live in the Midwest where it can get into sub-zero to mid-teens at the coldest times.

Does the extra weight make a big difference when using a cover lifter?  My wife is small and i wonder if it'd be too difficult for her.

Conine2965

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:03:35 am »
I thought the extra thickness was for snow

bwspa

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 12:32:42 pm »
Artesian website started increased insulation value on the pro guard for snow and cold.  If it's more for just the weight of the snow, I wouldn't be too worried about that. But if it would noticably improve the electricity bill then I'd consider it.

Sam

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 01:10:08 pm »
It insulates better in addition to holding heavier snow loads.  My opinion is that it is definitely worth it.  The cover is the weak link your insulating system.  A better insulating cover should make a significant difference.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »
It insulates better in addition to holding heavier snow loads.  My opinion is that it is definitely worth it.  The cover is the weak link your insulating system.  A better insulating cover should make a significant difference.

This is absolutely true. They say 70-80% of the heat loss on a properly insulated hot tub is through the top. Are there compromises that have to be made (harder to handle, more expensive to replace) yes. But if you can lower your heating cost by 3-5 bucks a month.............
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42