What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help ! Second Thoughts On Decision!  (Read 5258 times)

rrct1

Help ! Second Thoughts On Decision!
« on: August 15, 2004, 12:33:00 pm »
I ordered a jacuzzi j-345...price was in our budget..($6000 w/ many xtras)seems to be a good bang for buck! (I can still get out of if I have to) (Don't want to regret my decision)

my concerns...
1. Too Small...I'm afraid I'll get it home and it will feel too tight with 4 adults in it.....wanted the j-365 but could not get it at this price point (depite what I've read on this board)

2. Also liked SW Bahia for same price and its slightly bigger than j-345 (concerned about the warranty and overall comparison to Jacuzzi)

3. Or should I go for a HS Vanguard (also $1500 more than the J-345) Is it worth it?

4. Are the Jacuzzi jets powerfull enough?

Thanks
rrct1

Hot Tub Forum

Help ! Second Thoughts On Decision!
« on: August 15, 2004, 12:33:00 pm »

cparlf

Re: Help ! Second Thoughts On Decision!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 12:41:52 pm »
We liked the J 365 (one with the foot dome) but I felt it too was a little tight.  We wet tested the 365, 375 and wanted to wet test the J 385 but none were available.  I settled on an Optima, the final decision was between this and the HS Grandee and Vista (is the vista the big one with the lounge?)  Really like the foot dome, although many do not.  All personal choice.  Wet test until you are certain.  Take the time to make the right decision, but get the site prep started early unless you want to be with tub and no electric like I am.

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 12:55:30 pm »
Did you wet test any of these? It's REALLY important to try these tubs out with water in them. It's very hard to know what you're going to like or dislike just by looking at them. You can't tell how the seats or jets are going to feel. However, there is the point of view that if you don't wet test, that you won't know what you're missing from the other tubs that might have been better. Sounds illadvised though.
If you have wet tested---
Speaking for myself, I much preferred the Hotspring tubs to the Jacuzzi Premium. Jacuzzi jets didn't do it for me and the controls (air buttons, fountain switches , jet diverters) seemed kind of cheesey. If you have the $1500 to step up to the Vanguard, I wouldn't stop you. ;) Also, if you have that much more to spend, you could move up to the J-375  I would think.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 12:58:13 pm by Warkovision »

UnderTheStars

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 02:00:39 pm »
Hello Rrct1!  FWIW, I bought the Vanguard and absolutely love it.  (We were in it this morning about 2:30 am - sky finally cleared after being overcast all week and we saw a couple remarkably bright meteors -but back to topic!)

Warkovision is absolutely on target.  You have to wet test to know if it's the one you want.  We were convinced we were buying a Sundance rather than HS.  The wet test was the right test and showed us what we wanted.  The Vanguard is right for me, maybe/maybe not for you.

The other thing about getting the right tub for you (based on wet test) -  You won't remember if it was more or less than the other one when you're soaking in December with snow flakes swirling down.  At least, I know I couldn't remember that stuff last night, in the dark, watching meteors streak across the sky.

Last but not least, what Cparlf said about starting site prep.  You can't "finalize" until you know which tub you're getting, but you can sure get a jump on it.  (do I want deck?  slab?  line-up the electrician, etc.)
Happy hunting!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 02:10:26 pm »
Think about how many people are going to use the tub at one time. If just 2 people then it might be fine, if it's going to have 8 people then rethink it.

I've dry tested the Bahia and it's a big tub, but it has different jets in it than Jacuzzi and Sundance. I personally don't know about the foot dome on the Bahia, Optima and J-365. I think it may take up too much foot room and the one in the Bahia has a jet (besides the foot jets) that goes straight up  - I think it is a little of a waste.

Maybe you can get a few people together and go sit inside the tub and see how you like it. I bring my 14 Y.O. with me, he's 5'6" and I use him as the 2nd person (the rest of my family can't be bothered).

Tubnerd

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 02:33:34 pm »
Our Jacuzzi J-375 was just delivered Friday afternoon and ready for soaking at about 7:00pm.  I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon but right now, every time we get out we just plan when we will get back in again.  Right now on this beautiful 75 degree afternoon, my kids are in it with a friend--they better be clean!!!

Anyway, we too loved the HS spas--tested the Vista--lounger not good for me--so switched to really wanting the Grandee.  The HS dealer would not budge on the price and as new spa owners, we really felt we could find another spa at a more reasonable price that would still make us happy.  We tested the Marquis and Jacuzzi lines in the same day and although on first 'sit' I really like the Marquis, I kept thinking about how I would feel after 15 minutes with those jets.  I realize they are all adjustable, etc. but when we sat in the J-375, we liked the air/water mix and the slightly more gentle massage we felt.  The size was perfect for our family of 4 but also roomy enough for friends.  While it has a lounger, it has less of a contour than other loungers so the leg area could also be used as a seat of sorts.  We are still playing with the diverters, air buttons, etc. but are VERY pleased so far.  I feel we can easily adjust the pressure to suit our needs.  As far as the extras, it really just has the water feature and the multi-colored lighting and I am surprised how much I like those features at night.  The colors are great and the fountains--we keep them really low--are quite soothing.

Just wanted to give you our take on our new Jacuzzi--if you stick with it I'm sure you will be pleased!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 03:38:40 pm »
Two things come to mind...

1) Comfort starts with space

2) Most assume there's going to be far more people using the spa on avergage than there really is.

Bet that helps a bunch! ;D

Steve

scout045

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 04:39:10 pm »
 I was also interested in the J-365 but my dealer wouldn't be reasonable,so I bought the Sweetwater Bahia and am very pleased with it.  It is very roomy and comfortable for 4 adults. Having the footdome in the center is one of its best features. And as Vinny stated it has that volcano jet in the middle.  Don't even think this is a waste! Thats the best jet in the tub. It gives a fantastic foot massage. I like the fact that you can use the dome to hang onto with your feet so you don't float about. A lot of people on this forum seem to downplay sweetwaters due to the warranty. I hear this can be negotiated with your dealer if its a concern. Overall I think the Bahia is a great model for the price.  I paid 5500 for mine with everything. It was the best deal for a model with the footdome.  Check out the reviews section from other owners on this web site. They seem to be pleased.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 05:31:37 pm »
All I can say is this has the be the right tub for you. If you're worried it isn't right take a few days and think it over. The last thing you want is to send the next 10 years wishing you'd gotten spa X instead. for myself, I'd prefer to wait a year and save the difference than to get less than I think I need/want. Unfortunately only you know what is right/enough.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tutyfrty

instead ordRe: Help ! Second Thoughts On Decision!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 07:40:15 pm »
Check out the Four Seasons Spa by US spas of Tampa. I am getting mine delivered tomorrow. Huge spa seats 6-7, with lounge, 77 jets, 94x94x36. Has lots of options like foot jets, whirlpool jets, free waterfall, free build in speakers, free cover and lifter, free Corona ozonater, free back yard delivery, lots other stuff. I am getting it for $6000.00. You can check it out a www.partypools.com but dont buy it through them. Despite frequent emails to them with no response, I have yet to get the $250.00 credit options that I am supposed to get for buying from them. Ordered the spa the first week of June and it had to be built so it took awhile to get but plenty of time to get my free stuff.  About the only time I heard from them about my free options was whenI first ordered the spa and I could cancel if I wasnt happy and then lately when they wanted me to OK the final payment on my credit card, then they said that my stuff was on  the way, 2 weeks later still no free stuff. My last resort is to call them on onle of their toll free numbers but why should I have to work this hard to get the things they promised to send me (hand held jet and 2 chemicel kits and a step)  If I do finally get the things Im supposed to I will update this to a more favorable rating for this company but as of now I advise, DO NOT BUY FROM WWW.PARTYPOOLS.COM >:(

Chris_H

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 09:37:58 am »

Rrct1:

I’m going to try to help you with your concerns.

“Too Small...I'm afraid I'll get it home and it will feel too tight with 4 adults in it.....wanted the j-365 but could not get it at this price point (depite what I've read on this board)”
If you are already having concerns I would definitely recommend you to think about it for a week before confirming the order.  You are right the J-345 is much much smaller than the Bahia and Vanguard.  

“Or should I go for a HS Vanguard (also $1500 more than the J-345) Is it worth it?”

Of the three that you have mentioned the Vanguard is a much better spa than the two because of warranty, performance, and component wise it has the best components of the three including the heater, pump/motor, and exterior siding (Everwood).  You have to decide if it is worth the extra $1,500.  I would say yes it is.  So would Chas.

“Also liked SW Bahia for same price and its slightly bigger than j-345 (concerned about the warranty and overall comparison to Jacuzzi) “

Comparing the Bahia to the J-345, first of all the Bahia is a much larger spa.  However, with that said all Sweetwater spas have the EXACT same components as the Jacuzzi Premium spas.  The components I am saying are exact are the pump/motor, heater, and the control box inside the cabinet.  You get the same components with less a warranty.

If you are worried about your warranty on the Sweetwater, you are right of the three spas mentioned it has the lesser of the warranty.  However, when comparing the fine print of the Jacuzzi Premium warranty you will see that the jets in the Jacuzzi Premium only have a one-year warranty.  Sweetwater has the same warranty on the jets as the Jacuzzi Premium.  
The pumps/heater/control box have a three year warranty on the Sweetwater compared to five year to the Jacuzzi Premium, but remember they use the same exact components.

The Sweetwater Spas have better filtration than the Jacuzzi Premium.  There is one major reason for this.  Sweetwater uses a weir plate that moves up and down that will trap all of the debris in one area that will fall out of the cartridge when you clean it.  It is the same weir plate as in the Sundance Spas.  This traps the debris in one area.  Filtration is arguably the most important feature in owning a spa because you won’t use it if the water is cloudy.

You can also ask the Sweetwater dealer to upgrade you to the Sundance Micro Clean filtration.  That makes the filtration even better.

In the Jacuzzi Premium spas, they use a plate that covers the cartridges and when you take out the cartridges to clean them, the cartridges will be exposed to the rest of the spa.  Basically all of the stuff that your spa just cleaned will fall in your spa.  If you don’t believe me take the cartridge out at your local Jacuzzi dealer.  You will see the oil and debris fall out.

“Are the Jacuzzi jets powerfull enough?”
You don’t want me to get started on the performance of the Jacuzzi Premium.  

Chris H

rrct1

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 04:35:25 pm »
Thanks everyone for your help/suggestions!
Well....I canceled the J-345 order today...It was tough but the dealer finally agreed (with a relatively small charge)

I feel good about the decision....at some point I will start the whole process over again...a little smarter and wiser!
Thanks Again
rrct1

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 04:35:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42