What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis Epic or Jacuzzi J355/365  (Read 7422 times)

bwspa

Marquis Epic or Jacuzzi J355/365
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:45:52 pm »
I've narrowed my list to the Epic or a Jacuzzi.  I've wet-tested the jacuzzi 365 and love the feel (toss up on the lounge).  I'm hoping to wet test the Epic in a week or so.  Getting a good deal on the jacuzzi @ $8300 with steps, lift, delivery, startup chem, etc. in stock color which could be delivered fast.  This is without any promo financing (saved 15% off the tub without).

The Epic is $9970 + $270 for constellation lighting base price.  Initial offer from the dealer was $10,400 including the lift, steps start-up chem, delivery, etc.  since I hadn't wet tested the Epic yet, I hadn't offered any acceptance or counter offer.  Marquis will take 4-6 weeks to order.  If for some reason the lounger in the Epic doesn't work, I'll get the Euphoria most likely - same price.

I have good rapport and confidence with the Marquis dealer.  Jacuzzi is from a big box store, so I do wonder about service, but the store manager has been great to deal with so far.

Therapy is key for me and I love strong, powerful jets.  This will be my first tub (wish list for over 20 years).  Anyone have any comments or tips?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis Epic or Jacuzzi J355/365
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:45:52 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Marquis Epic or Jacuzzi J355/365
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:49:30 pm »
 "Good deal"   ::)  that's a crazy low, border line you're lying price!   That's like 2005 pricing, it's a 10,000 plus spa right now.
Don't walk, but run and buy it. 

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:49:25 am »
Most on the forum will consider both of these brands to be two of the upper end brands, but here is my biased opinion on selling Marquis for 13 years and seeing a lot Jacuzzi over the years:

Jacuzzi 300 series is generally the "mid-range" Jacuzzi.  The Epic is "high range" Marquis.  Exterior DuraWood cabinet is superior on Marquis, interior fit and finish will be noticeably nicer on Marquis (look inside the the equipment area on both brands).  In my opinion the components are more reliable on Marquis (I have heard that the Jacuzzi pumps and electronics are now made in China but have not confirmed with my own eyes - don't quote me on that), Marquis is made in Oregon vs Jacuzzi made in Mexico.  The geyser jets on the Epic are very powerful and from anything I have seen, the most powerful on the market.  They feel very good for the feet and the thing I really I like about them is being able to get my back on the lower and upper geyser if you sit in the footwell.  The red hot zone/HK-40 jets are very powerful as well, they put out a very high volume of water with a low pressure that will not irritate your skin.  I hope the dealer knows how to adjust the controls and turn the full force on those jets.  The Epic allows you to isolate power in to certain areas (lower back, upper backet, feet, etc).  Marquis insulation is a full-foam Icynene material which is soft and easy to work on if ever needed, the Jacuzzi uses a harder foam/more difficult insulation that they consider "full-foam", which has a lot of space that isn't insulated if you take off the panels and look inside (not a true full foam).

Warranty is nearly identical between the 2 brands but replacement parts will be a lot less on Marquis if you ever needs parts outside of warranty.  Proprietary Jacuzzi parts vs. mostly non-proprietary Balboa equipment on the Marquis.

Good luck in your search!

bwspa

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:57:42 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I can't wait to wet test the Epic so I can have a better idea which way I'm leaning.  The jacuzzi gets the job done, and currently has almost a 20% price advantage, which can't be glossed over.

For the electrical, I was told the jacuzzi should have 60A so both jets and heater could run simultaneously.  I forgot to ask that from the Marquis dealer.  Do you know how that is handled with the Epic?  Can a 50A work both at the same time, does it need 60A for that or can it even operate both simultaneously?  The Epic manual online mentions 30A or 50A but I didn't see any mention of this.

Thanks again

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 12:43:57 pm »
Here is how it works on the Marquis:

50amp configuration runs everything at the same time (this is the factory default).

30amp configuration kicks off the heater if the jets are turned to high speed.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:20:27 pm »
 Wet test the Epic and see which you like.  Saving 2 plus grand on a great spa is pretty inviting.   As far as Jacuzzi, foam and made in Mexico, it has a very hard foam on the shell, and a light blown in type just like the Marquis very easy to dig through if needed, with either spa it shouldn't be an issue.  Made in Mexico wise what we saw when we were a dealer was no issues. Except getting parts did start to take longer to get.  Knowing what I know about Jacuzzi the price at 8500 for a J-365 or 355 is a no brainer.  You would be happy with it, with almost 2 house payments in the bank. 

FWIW I have no dog in this, Id tell ya to go buy a Bullfrog.   ;)

bwspa

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 06:53:25 pm »
Here is how it works on the Marquis:

50amp configuration runs everything at the same time (this is the factory default).

30amp configuration kicks off the heater if the jets are turned to high speed.

Good to know.  Thanks!

bwspa

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 06:58:55 pm »
Wet test the Epic and see which you like.  Saving 2 plus grand on a great spa is pretty inviting.   As far as Jacuzzi, foam and made in Mexico, it has a very hard foam on the shell, and a light blown in type just like the Marquis very easy to dig through if needed, with either spa it shouldn't be an issue.  Made in Mexico wise what we saw when we were a dealer was no issues. Except getting parts did start to take longer to get.  Knowing what I know about Jacuzzi the price at 8500 for a J-365 or 355 is a no brainer.  You would be happy with it, with almost 2 house payments in the bank. 

Sounds like good advice.  Like I said, the jacuzzi gets it done and I'm particular about the strength of the jets and overall feel of the water and tub.  And I'm all about saving money when it makes sense, so the Epic will need to wow me and I still would need to negotiate.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:12:34 pm »
 It's not always about money, it's what works for you.   I love my J-355, though it's 10+ years old, it's still going strong.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 07:44:09 am »

Sounds like good advice.  Like I said, the jacuzzi gets it done and I'm particular about the strength of the jets and overall feel of the water and tub.  And I'm all about saving money when it makes sense, so the Epic will need to wow me and I still would need to negotiate.

Not sure how much negotiating you would be able to do with the Epic.  That price is already pretty low.  I sell that for $11,900 so his price is very low.  Jacuzzi price is also very good.  The price difference between the 2 is the result of one tub being from the top line and the other being the 2nd line.  Nothing wrong with buying the second line tub but it will be cheaper because of that

chaffeemsp

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:04:23 am »
That's a great price. We wet tested a Jacuzzi J365 and a Hot Spring Pulse last Saturday, I preferred the J365 over the Pulse. But was quoted $10,700 on the J365 out the door with lift, cover,steps, chemicals, and delivery. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 11:00:31 am »

Saving money is always a great thing but it only works if the spa also does the trick for you because its going to be in your back yard for many years. Wet test and think long term.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SnowHot

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:28 pm »
I looked at a few Marquis spas when searching 5 years ago. I didn't have a good experience with the dealer, who was more interested in selling pool tables than spas, therefore my Marquis experience is limited at best.

We ended up getting a Jacuzzi J335.  The J345 was on our radar - IIRC it was priced somewhere around 8-9,000.00. (Its been 5 years and my memory isn't what it used to be).
We found the J335 on Craigslist from a couple who'd had it for three years, rarely used it, and sold it to us for a steal!
In the 5 years we've had our (now 8 year old) Jacuzzi, we had no issues whatsoever, but in the past two years we've replaced a pump, rebuilt another pump, replaced a broken waterfall.(that's what happens when Cinco de Mayo gets out of control) None of our parts have been pricy, and none of our repairs have been difficult. In fact we've done most of the repairs ourselves because the Jacuzzi is that easy to work on.

IMHO three major repairs for an 8 year old spa is relatively low, especially considering that one of those was user caused.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 08:52:30 pm »
Most on the forum will consider both of these brands to be two of the upper end brands, but here is my biased opinion on selling Marquis for 13 years and seeing a lot Jacuzzi over the years:

Jacuzzi 300 series is generally the "mid-range" Jacuzzi.  The Epic is "high range" Marquis.  Exterior DuraWood cabinet is superior on Marquis, interior fit and finish will be noticeably nicer on Marquis (look inside the the equipment area on both brands).  In my opinion the components are more reliable on Marquis (I have heard that the Jacuzzi pumps and electronics are now made in China but have not confirmed with my own eyes - don't quote me on that), Marquis is made in Oregon vs Jacuzzi made in Mexico.  The geyser jets on the Epic are very powerful and from anything I have seen, the most powerful on the market.  They feel very good for the feet and the thing I really I like about them is being able to get my back on the lower and upper geyser if you sit in the footwell.  The red hot zone/HK-40 jets are very powerful as well, they put out a very high volume of water with a low pressure that will not irritate your skin.  I hope the dealer knows how to adjust the controls and turn the full force on those jets.  The Epic allows you to isolate power in to certain areas (lower back, upper backet, feet, etc).  Marquis insulation is a full-foam Icynene material which is soft and easy to work on if ever needed, the Jacuzzi uses a harder foam/more difficult insulation that they consider "full-foam", which has a lot of space that isn't insulated if you take off the panels and look inside (not a true full foam).

Warranty is nearly identical between the 2 brands but replacement parts will be a lot less on Marquis if you ever needs parts outside of warranty. Proprietary Jacuzzi parts vs. mostly non-proprietary Balboa equipment on the Marquis.

Good luck in your search!

Factor in the "Jacuzzi builds tubs that THEY don't ever plan to have serviced" factor as well, just had a Jacuzzi 465 I believe up on our wet rack...$180 wholesale for 1/2 of their LED light and you have to drop the entire bottom off the spa to access it which is a 2 man multi hour job...and don't get me started on their Waterfalls...LEAST serviceable tub I've ever came across

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 10:21:49 pm »
 When they put the led in the btm of the 400 series spa from day 1 when I saw it in Vegas,  I said that's going to be a PIA to change.  You know how many we changed out in 10+ years of the 400 series?    Not one.  Cup holder lights on the other hand are a pain.   A waterfall on any of the 400s I can change out in half an hour.   Techs like to whine  :P

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 10:21:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42