What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: bucket seats vs. coutour seats  (Read 4473 times)

schutawie

bucket seats vs. coutour seats
« on: August 13, 2004, 01:35:50 pm »
We're buying our first spa and have narrowed it down to 2 choices.  One spa has a lounger and bench seats, the other has a lounger and contour seats.  Other than personal preference, is there anything else I should consider in chosing between these 2 types of seats?

Hot Tub Forum

bucket seats vs. coutour seats
« on: August 13, 2004, 01:35:50 pm »

schutawie

Re: bench seats vs. contour seats
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 01:37:40 pm »
oops....I should have made this subject bench seats vs. contour seats.  What can I say - it's Friday!

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Re: bucket seats vs. coutour seats
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 01:41:33 pm »
My first qeustion would be did you wet test your finalists. That is the all telling test which only you can answer.

For us we did not like the constrainst of some seats that were shaped like buckets. the more open kind was much better for us. We could lie accross like a lounger or shift about in the seat. Much less possible to do this in bucket seat configs.

schutawie

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 01:47:04 pm »
We tried both and for the small amount of time we were in them at the showroom, we were comfortable with either.  I like the coziness of the contoured seats but I'm afraid that might get old after a few soaks.  The bench would probably be easier for my kids for when they're moving around in the tub.  

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
Re: bench seats vs. coutour seats
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 01:52:12 pm »
I prefer a tub with both contour and bench seats. It's nice to be able to soak in the coziness of the countour seat when you want that and the bench seats make it easier to move around and possibly swing your legs up onto another seat to make a psuedo lounger. Different days call for different kinds of soaking and therapy.
e

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 02:07:42 pm »
I prefer a tub with both contour and bench seats. .

You just desribed the HS Landmark to a tee.  It has 6 seats...one lounger...two 'bucket or recliner' seats and three bench seats....As far as I am concerned it is a shame HS decided to stop manufacturing this unique layout.  I don't know what I am going to do in 10 - 15 years when I have to buy a new tub and can't replace mine with another Landmark!!!!   You are also correct that some days I will stay in the lounger but some days I move around the bench seats and other days I am in the recliner excusively.  It is nice to have options.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 02:24:27 pm »
Here is the reality; it has to fit you with water in it. Wet test, wet test, wet test.

Many loungers and contour seats lean you back pivot your pelvis from under your shoulders. This can and will cause floating dependant on your body composition and height.

Consequently, many seats are designed with little nuances that help hold you into the spa.

Over the years I have watched many people during a wet test giving the spa the 3rd degree saying that “This jet doesn’t hit me in the right spot” “this lounge does lay me down enough” “can’t reach the foot jets from my favorite seat”. Then, when they get the spa home they realize that on a day to day use that jet that did not hit right is their favorite jet because they can position themselves to massage places they had no clue they would want to, they appreciate the fact that they don’t lay down in the lounge to far and can’t see out and they really like the fact that when they are setting up and out of their “favorite seat” they can massage not only their feet but their ankles and calves from that position.

Bottom line for a wet test is – try to think how your going to use the spa at home more so than how your using it in the showroom.

I personally like to set in a corner seat turned sideways, with my legs stretched out on the bench next to me. I also like to use the lounger backwards better using it as a cooldown seat while massaging my feat on the lounge back jets.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 03:13:14 pm »
We tried both and for the small amount of time we were in them at the showroom, we were comfortable with either.  I like the coziness of the contoured seats but I'm afraid that might get old after a few soaks.  The bench would probably be easier for my kids for when they're moving around in the tub.  

Most people tend to try out each individual seat when wet testing, but in real life many people will sit in one seat with their legs in another seat, or between seats to get certain jets to him them were they want.  Non contour seats make that easier, and its easier to get in and out of, which you probably only did once in a wet test.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 03:15:32 pm »

It is nice to have options.

I agree completely!  I only use our lounger about 20% of the time, but I'm glad when it is there when I want it.  With three of us, we still have plenty of room if nobody is in the lounger.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 03:16:12 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Netnutty

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 06:44:15 pm »
I have the SD Cameo with a lounger, but I like to switch seats often. Most evenings I'll spend time in every seat (all are different).

That said, make sure you wet test and spend some time in tubs you like, trying out each seat.

It may take a few minutes to realize a jet is hitting you the wrong way, which over time would be annoying.

Once I narrowed my choices down a bit I spent 20-30 minutes in my favorite tubs, trying to spend about 5 minutes in each seat.

Netnuty

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 10:49:05 pm »
Countour seats make it easier to bouce from station to station. Depending on the spa, the buckets can be too deep

The Optima had buckets, the HS grandee has contours, we opted for the grandee, no regrets

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 11:10:02 pm »
Countour seats make it easier to bouce from station to station.

Thats kind of how I feel about my gas guzzling truck! ;)

schutawie

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 09:06:35 am »
Thanks to all for your input.  We made our decision to go with the Marquis Reward (with bench seats).  We were considering an Everyday 636 (with contour seats) but decided that feature for feature, the Reward had more of what we wanted.  And, I think the bench seats will work well for us.  Now we need to get the pad done and the electrical in the next 3 weeks.  I can't wait!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 09:06:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42