What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: And the dealer is how important?  (Read 13698 times)

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
Re: And the dealer is how important?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2004, 11:56:33 am »
Ok...here is my 'dealer story'.   I read these forums/researched/shopped for about 6 months before deciding on my spa.  I decided to go with the HS Landmark from a very reputable Niagara dealer who had been in business since I was a kid.  I was very comfortable with their sales people.  So I bought from them.  

A few months later I was on the HotSpring website and just for fun I typed in my zip code into the 'Dealer Locator' and to my surprise the nearest dealer was no longer the Niagara dealer but a dealer over 60 miles away in another state.  I got a little worried so I called Niagara who confirmed they were no longer selling HS spas.(Maybe this is why I got such a great deal...).  they gave me the number of the 'new' dealer who would be servicing me so I gave them a call and asked them a lot of questions.  They have been in business for over 20 years selling spas so I felt a little better.  A few months later my ozonator seemed to be having issues so I called the 'new' dealer and they had someone out the very next day and replaced my ozonator no questions asked.

This 'new' dealer has since opened a store in my area that is even closer to my house than the original dealer I bought from.  I have purchased new filters from them and they gave me a 10% discount since I was an 'exisitng' customer even though I was not one of their customers.  I am very very pleased with the service I have received from the 'new' dealer.

So I guess the bottom line here is that if you go with a 'major' brand and your local dealer stops selling your spas, the manufacturer will provide you with another dealer to handle all your warranty work.  Who knows..the new dealer might even open a shop closer to you than your original shop just like happened to me.    

Here comes my opinion....When it is all said and done and you have done all your research....buy a HotSpring...you won't be disappointed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2004, 11:56:33 am »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2004, 12:57:56 pm »
Yes Dazed, you could get local dealer support, if they chose too.....If they did not sell you the tub they are OBLIGATED ???

Do you absorb anything that contradicts your point of view or simply quote anything that you think supports yours and say "LOOK, Just like I said"?

Very curious what you do for living, I am sure that your skill set is a nickel/pennny a dozen.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2004, 01:30:27 pm »
I can just see it.  Some day, D/C moves out of his mom's basement, gets a real job and actually buys a spa.
Of course it will be from a dealer 4 hours away, cause after all, he saved almost $11 dollars, after paying that far away dealers $1.50 per mile delivery charge, since they had to tie up their truck, trailer and 2 delivery people for a whole day to get d/c his spa.

Then a few days later, the spa has an error code on the panel that indicates a service call is needed.  He calls his selling dealer, who is obligate to service his spa, and is informed that they'd get someone out there in a few days, cause they are too busy serving  their local customers.  However they will again be charging the $1.50 per mile travel charge, cause the factory won't pay the costs of excess travel to and from the customer.
After all, the warranty gives the dealer the right to charge for travel time.  
I'd be willing to bet that the factory reimburses dealers for warranty work at less than what the dealer would bill the customer for at their regular labor rates.
That's just a guess on my part though.

Anyway, this makes D/C have a hissy fit, cause his savings by buying non local just flew out the window.
But he refuses to pay the selling dealers travel charges.
He then calls the local dealer, who finds out that this new spa wasn't purchased at their shop.
When asked why, D/C bluntly says that "Your prices are too high, so I went outside your territory.
Guess what?
They charge for travel too, since D/C didn't buy his spa there.  Oh, they'll send out a repair guy, but since the local deler gives actual customers priority, D/C's work order goes to the bottom of the pile.  
Suddenly the savings are all gone.

Possible?  

Brewman

Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2004, 01:37:32 pm »
hissy fit, cause his savings by buying non local just flew out the window.

Hissy fit.  LOL!

lying on the floor kickin an screamin FIX MY TUB! I DON'T CARE IF YOU SOLD ME THE TUB OR NOT, YOUR A DEALER SO FIX MY TUB. >:(
response: but of course sir, we have you in our system and should get to you in ohhhhhh a week or two. :-*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 01:38:04 pm by doodoo »

Chris_H

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2004, 01:52:54 pm »
If I'm his dealer, I would not fix it at all.  He saved a few hundred on the spa.  

He made his bed.  Time for him to sleep in it, too.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2004, 01:58:12 pm »
... Here comes my opinion....When it is all said and done and you have done all your research....buy a HotSpring...you won't be disappointed.

Great story, thanks for sharing.
I agree, the brand/manufacturer is what's more important.

When it is all said and done and you have done all your research....buy a [reputable brand]
e

bodguy

• Hot Spring Vista owner
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2004, 03:07:31 pm »
Hypothetical Situation:

Im Hottub Dealer A.  You come into my store, and do not buy my brand tub from me because of price or whatever.  You drive to Hottub dealer B, who sells the same tub, 200 miles away.

You save $750 on the price of the spa, but dealer B is going to have to charge you a $75.00 service fee because of the distance he has to travel to provide warranty service ( this appears to be commonly done in cases of extreme distance).

You buy your tub from dealer B

Now you have a warranty claim on your brand name tub that dealer A and B both sell.  Since you are dazed and confused you call me, dealer A, to save your $75.00 service call, to provide warranty service for your tub.

I may be wrong, but what makes me compelled to provide your warranty service?  I know you bought the tub elsewhere.  

If it were me, Id be calling dealer b and having them come fix your tub...and charge ya the 75 bucks.  

If, and I mean If, I am compelled by the manufacturer to provide the service regardless, guess what, you go to the very bottom on my list. Im not going to be in a hurry to fix a tub I didnt sell, especially since you had the opportunity to buy it from me in the 1st place!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2004, 03:07:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42