What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Pulse vs South Seas 860B  (Read 3552 times)

MDTubz

Hot Springs Pulse vs South Seas 860B
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:46:18 pm »
After lots of research and visiting local dealers, we've narrowed our choice down to these two choices:

Hot Springs Limelight Pulse -- http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/limelight/7-person-large-hot-tub-pulse
South Seas 860B Deluxe -- https://southseasspas.com/models/860-b-l/

Despite all of the helpful info on this forum, I'm still a little confused.  I understand that many recommend a wet test as the ultimate deciding factor.  We've seen both units and sat in them dry, but also seen similar units (different size but same make and line) in operation so have a sense of their features.  We will use the hot tub more for socializing and relaxation than for therapy.  In fact, our kids and their friends will probably use it the most.  So the wet test doesn't really help us.

We've gotten quotes from both dealers and the price difference between the two is about $500 more for the Pulse.  Both prices include delivery, ozonator, cover, cover lifter, and steps so it's apples to apples.  We were comfortable with both dealers.

I'm trying to understand what the actual differences are between the two.  It seems that Hot Springs is generally considered one of the "top" brands, but South Seas is not on that last (though it is made by Artesian, which does have a good reputation).  The Hot Springs warranty seems to be a little better.  The South Seas has 3 pumps vs. 2 for the Hot Springs and 60 jets vs. 40.  The Hot Springs has continuous filtration but the South Seas doesn't. 

Does any of this matter?  What are the real differences between these models?  Is one more reliable than the other?  We may have this installed as part of a larger landscaping project so even the external appearance isn't a big deal for us.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Pulse vs South Seas 860B
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:46:18 pm »

Conine2965

Re: Hot Springs Pulse vs South Seas 860B
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:44:35 am »
I am also shopping I looked at both leaning towards the 860l . I thought it was the better tub even though the warranty was less also the lime light was about 1500 more here. Only one hot springs guy seems his prices are always higher.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 05:06:50 pm »
After lots of research and visiting local dealers, we've narrowed our choice down to these two choices:

Hot Springs Limelight Pulse -- http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/limelight/7-person-large-hot-tub-pulse
South Seas 860B Deluxe -- https://southseasspas.com/models/860-b-l/

Despite all of the helpful info on this forum, I'm still a little confused.  I understand that many recommend a wet test as the ultimate deciding factor.  We've seen both units and sat in them dry, but also seen similar units (different size but same make and line) in operation so have a sense of their features.  We will use the hot tub more for socializing and relaxation than for therapy.  In fact, our kids and their friends will probably use it the most.  So the wet test doesn't really help us.

We've gotten quotes from both dealers and the price difference between the two is about $500 more for the Pulse.  Both prices include delivery, ozonator, cover, cover lifter, and steps so it's apples to apples.  We were comfortable with both dealers.

I'm trying to understand what the actual differences are between the two.  It seems that Hot Springs is generally considered one of the "top" brands, but South Seas is not on that last (though it is made by Artesian, which does have a good reputation).  The Hot Springs warranty seems to be a little better.  The South Seas has 3 pumps vs. 2 for the Hot Springs and 60 jets vs. 40.  The Hot Springs has continuous filtration but the South Seas doesn't. 

Does any of this matter?  What are the real differences between these models?  Is one more reliable than the other?  We may have this installed as part of a larger landscaping project so even the external appearance isn't a big deal for us.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Who the dealer is has meaning, not all dealers are equal. The manufacturer's reputation for quality of the build, the warranty, how well they back their warranty (a warranty is just a paper with words until you need it and then its about the other side stepping up)... are also important factors.

One thing that caught my eye was when you say you're skipping wet tests because its "more for socializing and relaxation than for therapy" (which I can understand) but then on the flip side you're comparing # of pumps/jets and trying to determine how much it matters. If the wet test doesn't matter because its just for relaxation then the # of pumps/jets won't matter either.

You should do yourself a favor and just take the wet tests because #of pumps (and their ratings and please ignore bogus BHP numbers), # of jets... only have meaning in how the spa feels in the end and all pros know that pump/jet count is just a number, jet feel is what matters.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:47 pm »
 I don't know Artesians mdls anymore, but I assuming the 860B is 8ft 60 jets bench seating?  So you might look at say a 748B if they make it or a 848B would be larger.   Probably 2 pump less jets and less money?   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42