What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cal Spa pump replacement  (Read 5710 times)

CHILAND

Cal Spa pump replacement
« on: August 11, 2004, 12:35:15 pm »
I just got an estimate for repairs on a Cal Spa Model PSB-4 at my rental that is 10 years old.  It was for $1100 to replace both pumps "that burned out just because of age".
That is for two 2 speed, 240v, 4hp pumps and parts.  It is obvious from checking on prices on the internet I can do a lot better finding my own replacements.

Any suggestions on best replacement and supplier?

Also were I can find technical specs and service info (manual)  on this older Cal Spa.

Most of my friends think it is not worth spending that much on an older spa at a rental.

Thanks for any help

Hot Tub Forum

Cal Spa pump replacement
« on: August 11, 2004, 12:35:15 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Cal Spa pump replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 12:52:36 pm »
I just got an estimate for repairs on a Cal Spa Model PSB-4 at my rental that is 10 years old.  It was for $1100 to replace both pumps "that burned out just because of age".
That is for two 2 speed, 240v, 4hp pumps and parts.  It is obvious from checking on prices on the internet I can do a lot better finding my own replacements.

Any suggestions on best replacement and supplier?

Also were I can find technical specs and service info (manual)  on this older Cal Spa.

Most of my friends think it is not worth spending that much on an older spa at a rental.

Thanks for any help

Well, not being in your business, let me throw this out. Just south of me is Hocking County, Ohio which has more hot tubs per capita than anywhere else in the country.  Most cabin owners have hot tubs in the 2-4k range and an occupancy rate that is really high. Seems like a no brainer for a new tub,  in situations such as those. As for yours?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 02:03:01 pm »
I would put in a pair of Waterway pumps. You can buy them with a motor at very good prices - just keep an eye on the shipping costs because they are heavy items.

Or, ask your repair guy to come up with a pump that he can buy from the local wholesale house for less: Waterway, AquaFlo, Hayward all make plastic pumps for spas. He can buy an AquaFlo Flo-Master wet-end, for example, for about $60 retail, and stick a motor on it for another couple of hundred. Plumbing is easy - cut off the unions and glue new ones on, or try to find the same pump manufacturer as orig. so the unions will match.

You can save a fortune if you come down into the 2HP range - and you might be surprised to find how little this changes the jet action - and in a rental situation the jet action is not your top priority.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 02:03:58 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

CHILAND

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 12:26:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  That will help me finding what I need.  My intention is looking into doing the change myself.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Ah! A do it yourselfer!!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 01:24:20 pm »
Well, then take the pumps out, and look everything over. Do the motors run but noisily? Then go buy a set of bearings and replace them. If the motors are too corroded or rusty to get apart, replace them.

If the pump seals are simply frozen in place, you can free them up and then replace them.

One note: many times over the years I have tried to rebuild a plastic pump on a CalSpa and found it would not seal back up. They can warp or change shape. So - be sure you use a fresh gasket or o-ring, add a thin layer of silicone, and tighten all the bolts or screws slowly and evenly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 01:35:17 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 04:25:24 pm »
Shouldn't this thread be called "CAL SPA replacement"?
;D ;D ;D ;D
Homeworks Financing Representative

CHILAND

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 07:50:27 pm »
Very good point.  If I remove the pumps I can check them out at my own pace in my shop.  As I said my renter was told both pumps were burned out.  Rather strange...but.  I was going to ask you what you meant by "saving a bundle on a 2 horse", price of the pump or power bill.  I have read that the newer pumps have a higher output than the older with less horsepower.  This same rental has a inground swimming pool with a cast iron pump that has run for years.

HotTubMan may be right, "Cal spa replacement?"   but a  lot more money.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 07:50:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42