What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 303 Protectant  (Read 4465 times)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
303 Protectant
« on: August 11, 2004, 01:18:44 pm »
I just came from my Sundance Dealer and he told me NOT to use the 303 protectant on the cover that Sundance supplies.  He said it's too strong and will deteriorate the cover.  Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

303 Protectant
« on: August 11, 2004, 01:18:44 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: 303 Protectant
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 01:43:57 pm »
Not me, I sell to all my spa folks with all brands and have not heard of any issues. But if Sundance says do not use then do not use it. Always follow the manufactures recommendations.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 01:52:37 pm »
I have always heard that those protectorants (303, Armorall, etc) are more detremental then beneficial.  It may make the plastic, vinyla, etc (spa cover, car interior, etc) look good for a while and but eventually it dries it out over time with more and more treatments.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 02:29:15 pm »
I have always heard that those protectorants (303, Armorall, etc) are more detremental then beneficial.  It may make the plastic, vinyla, etc (spa cover, car interior, etc) look good for a while and but eventually it dries it out over time with more and more treatments.

I've definitely seen that of Armor all, but prior threads here suggested that 303 was not the same. ( I think searches through the archives here will bring back the details.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 03:23:31 pm »
That does not make sense at all.  The Sundance web site offers 303 Protectant for their covers.  Ideal, who manufactures the covers suggests 303 Protectant.  Sounds like your dealer is selling another product they are trying to push.

Armorall on the other hand, is something you want to avoid.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 03:26:41 pm by tony »

Ready2Buy1

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 05:28:24 pm »
My Sundance dealer gave us a bottle of 303 with the spa and suggested using it to prolong the life of the cover....

Netnutty

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 07:00:51 pm »
I haven't talked to my Sundance dealer about it yet, but I did note that he has it on his shelf for sale.

I wouldn't think it would be there if it was for use on the Sundance line!  ;D

Netnutty

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 11:38:15 pm »
"He said it's too strong and will deteriorate the cover.  Has anyone else ever heard of this?"

Only from people who have it in mind to sell you on something else.

303 too strong? Ask for specifics,.. this is like saying you shouldnt use 30spf sun blocker because its too strong. (Yeah, go get skin cancer... real good idea. Just be sure to buy your new skin from me, Okay?)

To further promote 303; Ive been using it on all my maintenance route spas for as long as Ive been treating them. None have 'deteriorated' with application of this product in the past three years with frequent treatment. In most cases the spas in full sun get treated weekly, shaded spas not so much. Oldest cover (incidentally a Sundance spa.) looks near new despite being 14 years old. (Pictures of 14 year old spa cover available upon request.)

I can tell you untreated covers *absolutely* do not last as long without treatment. In some cases I see oxidation of vinyl in constant direct sunlight in about three to four years without treatment.

As long as youre treating your cover vinyl to UV protection, be sure to flip your cover foam cores if your cover is symmetrical. This is done for the same reason as you flip your mattress at home... Over time, you spa cover will become concave, or begin allowing water to puddle in the center. Flipping the cores will extend their life by crowning the cover so water will be shed off, rather than puddling and collapsing the cover.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 09:04:20 am »
Funny thing was that he wasn't trying to sell me anything else...  Anyhow, I'm not too worried about it because our spa will be out of direct sunlight anyway so it really won't be exposed to much UV rays.  (under our screened porch...)   I'll go ahead and use it to be safe though and the next time I talk to the dealer I'll ask him about it again.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

zzaphod42

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 10:08:01 am »
Spa Tech,

You treat covers weekly? I guess I should be telling my customers to treat their covers more than a couple of times a year!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 05:40:27 pm »

Only the oil based ones, like Amour All.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 10:46:57 pm »
zzaphod42,

When I do new product orientations, I recommend to customers to clean and treat their cover with the 303 product about once a month.

When people pay me monthly to service their spa weekly, I apply 303 to spa covers in direct sunlight weekly-- whether or not it 'looks' like it needs it. This is more or less like detailing a car and putting tire wet on, while its not necessary- it certainly makes the impression.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 10:46:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42