What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stop me before I buy a Calspa  (Read 8628 times)

hwimbrow

Stop me before I buy a Calspa
« on: July 27, 2004, 08:52:05 am »
I am about done my dealer showroom tours and research.

I'm looking for my first spa so I'm looking for an inexpensive spa.

I'm finding they're all the same spa, same style.

The Calspa is STILL the better specs and lowest price.

So, this is a bit of preemptive buyer's remorse.

Stop me or let me whip out the checkbook.

Hot Tub Forum

Stop me before I buy a Calspa
« on: July 27, 2004, 08:52:05 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Stop me before I buy a Calspa
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:21:01 am »
Calspa has a reputation for not honoring their warranty.

Maybe dino will share with you his reasons to avoid Calspa.

Dino- Potential Calspa buyer, line one.

Brewman
Brewman

spaguyohio

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 09:26:14 am »
What brands have you looked at? If all the same Id say they might be coming out of the same factory. Check around some more. A lot of the mom & pop stores around here all order it seems from same no name place. Buy from a reputable dealer whos main focus is hot tubs.

cparlf

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 10:25:27 am »
We looked at Cal Spas, the same dealer also sells Beachcomber and used to sell Hot Springs a few years ago.  The dealer saleswoman recommended against the Cal Spa, saying the quality was not up to Beachcomber's level.  Although we did not end up buying either brand, I would say from the posters here that all Beachcomber owners seem happy with their decision.

But I am a spa-less newbie, so read my opinion accordingly.

Good luck

hwimbrow

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 10:50:22 am »
I was advised (here) that the Calspa was knockoff of a Viking Spa, so I hunted down the "local" Viking dealer. $800 more for basically the same spa PLUS delivery as they're almost 100 miles away.

Then I ran across a "Geyser" series Saratoga spa. Another knockoff of the same spa, only $600 more, but Cal spa's specs were slightly better.

There were a couple of molded plastic deals too.

So, it looks like a few manufactures make these "bottom" models, and they're all cheap, not inexpensive, cheap.

So, cold hard analysis says, $600 or $800 pays for alot of being stiffed on a warranty doesn't it?

The Calspa has 220, the others are 110, they all have single pumps, same panels (it appears) Calspa has GE pump.

I really have no appetite for a $5k toy, $2500 toy, yes.

Maybe I want something that doesn;t really exist.

I just don;t see where I'm gaining anything with the additional price.

But PLEASE keep me real and post your thoughts.

Thanks.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 10:56:23 am »
What kind of dollars are you looking to spend and what size spa do you need...Don't be fooled by specs that are not "usable power".....like someone saying they have 5 horse power pumps...it is simply not true.....that is not continuous horse power but only start up power....with spas it is all about flow rate....gallons per minute....that matters...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 11:19:56 am »
BTW, one way Calspas tries to spice up their "specs" is to rate the pumps on brake horsepower (BHP, or starting horsepower)) rather than continuous horsepower (HP). When they say their pump is 5HP its really 5 BHP which equates to about 2.5 HP for those who rate the horsepower for its continuous use. Also, take a look at their warranty and you'll find it sounds fine but realize that they are notorious for not honoring it. There should be enough people here who know the story and enough stories out there to scare anyone but the decision is yours. IMO, they can shine it up any way they want, throw in a set of Ginsu knifes and promise to stop by on Sundays to wax my car and I still wouldn't consider Calspas.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 12:16:35 pm »
A couple of things more about HP and general enjoyment of the hot tub...

The "continuous" horse power of the pump is only important as part of the whole equation.  What is *most* important is the water pressure coming out of each jet.  This is guided by at least these two things:

1) How many jets each pump has to service.
2) How things are plumbed internally

Recently on this forum there was a guy who could not understand how Arctic spas "blew away" Beachcomber in numbers but, upon wet testing, the Beachcomber showed more power and comfort.

Better plumbing, more efficient use of high gallon-per-minute pumps, better jet placement, etc.. are a factor.  

Don't look at tubs that have the most number of jets, look at tubs that make *efficient* use of jets. If you are bargain shopping you don't need to be sold on the idea that more is not always better!

More jets == more chance to leak, more holes in the shell, weaker water pressure out of each jet, more internal plumbing.  On a well made spa this is taken into account and is reasonably efficient (Hot springs, Sundance, Beachcomber, etc).  On bargain spas they are probably not, which *could* translate into more leaks, less water pressure, and alot of headaches if the companies don't honor warranties.

Above all, wet test everything before you buy.

-Ed

hwimbrow

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 12:43:49 pm »
Yes!!!!!!!!

This is an excellent resource.

Thanks to everyone.

I have indeed fallen for comapring HP to BHP.

But you say HP = 50% BHP roughly?

All of these tubs are "low" on jets, less than a dozen, which I think is ok by me, I want a spa becasue I regularlly take hot baths in a plain ol' tub no jets.

So, in this light, LESS jets might very well equal BETTER jet power?

CalSpa also brags about 2" plumbing. Does that mean anything?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 01:17:23 pm »
If you're a soaker, not worrying about jets, look at HotSpot. Should be priced low (some dealers just don't get it) Backed by HotSpring, but simple simple simple.

http://hotspot.hotspring.com/

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 01:24:34 pm »
...some dealers just don't get it...
Yeah, I'll say  ;D

But seriously - those are a good "inexpensive" soaker tub option.
e

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 06:10:52 pm »
 ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

dino

• Tsar of the Empire!
What kind of scum is CalSpa?  Read on:
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 08:32:09 pm »
OK you can read my review and the others up in reviews near the top of the page.  My pump and controller board need to be replaced after 18 months - cost 1k for parts alone.  

Do I have a warranty? No unless you buy an "al a carte" custom spec'd spa you get a 1 year warranty - bait and switch anyone?

Also to kill any chance you have they make unreasonable demands on the electrical wiring that they know are unneeded and that will not be followed so as to disqualify your warranty.

Simply put they are scum.  The officers of the company lie and do not keep their word and finally they make a bad tub.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 09:53:10 am »
CalSpa also brags about 2" plumbing. Does that mean anything?

Yes, it means they are using it like everyone else.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 10:54:11 am »
Yesterday I happen to speak with a former Cal Spa employee...(13 years).....they shared with me it is not the spa they their tell friends or family...or even those they do not really like much to buy.... ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 10:54:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42