What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why Change Water?  (Read 2293 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Why Change Water?
« on: August 12, 2004, 11:30:04 am »
Hi Everyone:

I’m new to this forum and have really enjoyed reading some of the stuff posted.  Good POLITE discussion!  Trust spa owners to be “chilled” on the Internet.

Anyway, I figured I ask something to see what people’s opinions and experience are out there.  So, here it is -- why should we change water in our spas "every 3 to 4 months?"  

I struggled with water chemistry for the first year I owned my spa (1999) and tried EVERYTHING -- and I mean EVERYTHING -- for maintaining sanitation and clarity.

Eventually, I settled on slow absorption chlorine for "base" sanitation, dichlor for "continuous" shock and a polymer clarifier for getting rid of the soup.  My method is chlorine once a week, shock every night (about two tablespoons, after use) and clarifier as needed.  Occasionally, I have to adjust pH and other stuff, generally from “high” to “low.”  This method works perfectly for my 500 gallon spa (it’s clear as a bell and I don’t even own a bottle of de-foam) that I use nightly (I live alone) and have friends over in 2 to 3 times a week (yeah, I know, PARTY tub...).

Of course, when I drain it, it takes several weeks to “stabilize” the chemistry again.  I’m going through this now, because I recently moved the spa to my new house.

When I had it running before, I decided not to drain it as recommended to “see what would happen.”  Surprisingly, the older the water got (at the longest point, more than 2 years) the easier it was to treat and the less likely it was for the chemistry to “shift” suddenly.  I checked the chemistry routinely and almost always got the same “perfect” results each time.  I occasionally added or removed water for mild evaporation and displacement changes.

So, why drain the tub?  True, it’s only 500 gallons, but water in my town ain’t cheap.  I also don’t know too many pool owners that drain their 25,000 gallon pool every 3 months and I bet kids drink a lot more pool water than spa water...  

Any ideas?

Drewski

???
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

Why Change Water?
« on: August 12, 2004, 11:30:04 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Why Change Water?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 11:48:25 am »
Hey Drewski and welcome.
The first thing we would need to know in order to help you, is the reading of your source water?

What is the alkalinity, calcium hardness, pH and TDS (total dissolved solids)?

TDS is the measurement that will determine when and how often you will need to drain your water. When TDS reaches 1500 ppm, your water is saturated with oils, particles, sweat, chemicals, etc. Once it reaches this point, the water is saturated and can no longer "hold" anything else. Your chlorine will be useless even if you have a decent reading because it can't get to where it needs to because of the saturation point of your water.

Many will determine their life of the water by clarity. I've said it before here... battery acid is clear! ;D Water being balanced (in your opinion and depending on what you're testing for) isn't always safe, sanitized water.

Do you have a local dealer that offers water testing and analysis? It should be easy take your water and balance it in first day or two. Again, we would need he readings I asked for above to give any so of recommendations.

A "party tub" can go south on ya pretty quick if you're not being pro active. Can you tell me what you mean by "slow absorption  chlorine"? Is this in a puck form? Shocking should be done weekly though the addition of dichlor maybe be needed in smaller doses more often if more heavily used. Shocking can be a term that many don't truly understand. Just because dichlor is added, doesn't mean you have "shocked" your water.
Shocking is taking that chlorine to the 8-10 ppm range and superchlorinating that water. Run for 15-20 minutes with the cover off to help oxidize out.

If you ever decide to leave your water in the tub for two years again, don't invite me over OK? ;)

Balance your water initially, maintain a 1-3 ppm chlorine and shock weekly. You can add a clarifier weekly along with a stain & scale product as well. You should also clean your filters monthly. Please don't tell me you let them go for 2 years as well? ???

Anyway, let me know the readings when you have them and we'll go from there.

Steve

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 11:50:45 am »
Hi Everyone:

I occasionally added or removed water for mild evaporation and displacement changes.

So, why drain the tub?  True, it’s only 500 gallons, but water in my town ain’t cheap.  

The occasional replacement for evaporationa nd displacement goes a long way to keep water longer. I'm a big advocate of partial water changes to extend the time between changes.  I can go past 3 months sometimes but I really notice the difference and like the newer water better. People not use to spas would probably see nothing wrong with my 3 month old water.

You are right about the cost of water. It varies greatly around the country. heck it varies greatly around town. I had a nephew who lives between my town and an adjacent suburb. He has a totally different water company and thier rate is 4-5 times more expensive than ours.  He is a prisoner of that company till he moves.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 11:50:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42