What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can Chlorine AND bromine live together?  (Read 17808 times)

Poppabear

Re: Can Chlorine AND bromine live together?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 01:20:09 pm »
you can mix them in very small quantities, but there is absolutely 0 reason to do so...stick with Bromine, chlorine in it's natural form (liquid) is great for pools but Bromine is much more stable in a hot water/hot tub environment. Good Luck!

thanks BullFrog!i like having the bromine tub but i thought i read somewhere that adding chlorine to it will activate the bromide and thus shock the tub with the best of both worlds.   so i was keeping the float in the tub and tossing a small ammout of chlorine in after use and shocking with chlorine weekly.... yay or nay?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 01:20:09 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 01:44:11 pm »
you can mix them in very small quantities, but there is absolutely 0 reason to do so...stick with Bromine, chlorine in it's natural form (liquid) is great for pools but Bromine is much more stable in a hot water/hot tub environment. Good Luck!

thanks BullFrog!i like having the bromine tub but i thought i read somewhere that adding chlorine to it will activate the bromide and thus shock the tub with the best of both worlds.   so i was keeping the float in the tub and tossing a small ammout of chlorine in after use and shocking with chlorine weekly.... yay or nay?

To "activate" Bromine you will use 99% sodium bromide, it is often sold in little 2 oz. individual use packets which will activate up-to 500 gallons or so, most times it's not called sodium bromide but rather a consumer friendly term like 'bromine starter' or 'bromine booster' but if you check the ingredients it will be somewhere around 99% sodium bromide...Good Luck!

Here is example of the packets, scroll down about half way down the page: http://www.leisuretimespa.com/shocks-sanitizers.aspx

Poppabear

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 02:01:19 pm »
So the replenish stuff looks to use chlorine and another oxidizer to shock ... says ok with Bromine tubs.... isnt that kind of what i am doing?

bottom line... can i finish out my chemicals the way i am doing things without damage..... then when i change the water in the tub in a few months make it all bromine and go from there?

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 02:11:03 pm »
So the replenish stuff looks to use chlorine and another oxidizer to shock ... says ok with Bromine tubs.... isnt that kind of what i am doing?

bottom line... can i finish out my chemicals the way i am doing things without damage..... then when i change the water in the tub in a few months make it all bromine and go from there?

Yes you can, just stick with smaller amounts, there is no need to run more than 1 or 2 ppm sanitizer in the spa on a regular basis (I realize the ppm number spikes immediately after adding product, I'm talking on 'average' or during regular usage)

Poppabear

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 02:41:02 pm »

Yes you can, just stick with smaller amounts, there is no need to run more than 1 or 2 ppm sanitizer in the spa on a regular basis (I realize the ppm number spikes immediately after adding product, I'm talking on 'average' or during regular usage)

excellent... thats the answer that i was hoping for.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 05:50:51 pm »

I say it's perfect the way your doing it. You might wana add some backing soda once in a while to keep your alk, ph up.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 05:50:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42