What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can Chlorine AND bromine live together?  (Read 17807 times)

Poppabear

Can Chlorine AND bromine live together?
« on: April 12, 2017, 04:25:24 pm »
sooooooi  have a question.  I use 3 1" bromine tabs per week in my 400 gallon hot tub.  When we use the tub i toss in 1/2 tea spoon of chlorx chlorine xtra blue granules while the tub is still on.  I have noted on my test strips that this bring the bromine into 10ppm - 13ppm on the instant test strips.

my question is..... am i messing anything up by doing this?  i have read that some people are saying i will explode if i mix these chemicals and i have also read that its ok as long as both chemicals are not in tablet form and touching each other in the same floaty dispenser.  i figure treating them like siblings that cant get along is the way to go.

< i know my capitalization and punctuation is lacking.  i am educated i just dont care >

thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:45:03 pm by Poppabear »

Hot Tub Forum

Can Chlorine AND bromine live together?
« on: April 12, 2017, 04:25:24 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Can Chlorine AND bromine living together?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:28:05 pm »
sooooooi  have a question.  I use 3 1" bromine tabs per week in my 400 gallon hot tub.  When we use the tub i toss in 1/2 tea spoon of chlorx chlorine xtra blue granules while the tub is still on.  I have noted on my test strips that this bring the bromine into 10ppm - 13ppm on the instant test strips.

my question is..... am i messing anything up by doing this?  i have read that some people are saying i will explode if i mix these chemicals and i have also read that its ok as long as both chemicals are no in tablet form touching each other in the same floaty dispense.  i figure treating them like siblings that cant get along is the way to go.

< i know my capitalization and punctuation is lacking.  i am educated i just dont care >

thanks for the help!

You might get both opinions here. Yes there is a reaction between the two in certain circumstances. But they can be used together. Others would rather not chance it. Siblings.
Retired

bud16415

Re: Can Chlorine AND bromine live together?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:33:41 pm »
My understanding is the reaction will turn the chlorine into bromine. I’m not an expert or a chemist, but I would think a half teaspoon into 400 gallons of water isn’t going to blow up. Why not just convert your tub over to chlorine. I used bromine for my first 3 water changes and then switched to chlorine and couldn’t be happier. I was having a heck of a time getting the bromine constant. It sounds like your little dose shocks the trapped bromine in the bromine bank and it releases and that’s why your level skyrockets from such a small dose. Again my understanding is chlorine doesn’t build a bank and once it does its job it is done.    The pros can correct this if I’m all wet.

Poppabear

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:45:24 pm »
My understanding is the reaction will turn the chlorine into bromine. I’m not an expert or a chemist, but I would think a half teaspoon into 400 gallons of water isn’t going to blow up. Why not just convert your tub over to chlorine. I used bromine for my first 3 water changes and then switched to chlorine and couldn’t be happier. I was having a heck of a time getting the bromine constant. It sounds like your little dose shocks the trapped bromine in the bromine bank and it releases and that’s why your level skyrockets from such a small dose. Again my understanding is chlorine doesn’t build a bank and once it does its job it is done.    The pros can correct this if I’m all wet.

yeah that is what i was thinking as well.  it was a chlorine tub for several months and then i actually converted to bromine.  i found that the bro tub was easier to keep the pH  lower without having to add chemicals as often to control it.  I found that the pH was lower with bromine and raised with the use of the air jets and what not and that was the best way to control it since i use the tub at least 2 times a day for 20-30 mins.  The chlorine i found would spike the pH and i was using quite a bit of pH Down to try can control it.  maybe it was the fresh water that had to level out?? 

thanks for your input! 

Poppabear

Re: Can Chlorine AND bromine living together?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:46:56 pm »

You might get both opinions here. Yes there is a reaction between the two in certain circumstances. But they can be used together. Others would rather not chance it. Siblings.
[/quote]

thanks for the input Tman!  thats what i was hoping... it seems to be working out for me and keeping my costs on chemicals reasonable.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:14:50 pm »

yeah that is what i was thinking as well.  it was a chlorine tub for several months and then i actually converted to bromine.  i found that the bro tub was easier to keep the pH  lower without having to add chemicals as often to control it.  I found that the pH was lower with bromine and raised with the use of the air jets and what not and that was the best way to control it since i use the tub at least 2 times a day for 20-30 mins.  The chlorine i found would spike the pH and i was using quite a bit of pH Down to try can control it.  maybe it was the fresh water that had to level out?? 

thanks for your input!

Ok this makes no sense, you using Wal-Mart brand chlorine or what?

Poppabear

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 10:58:09 pm »

thanks for your input!

No sir  i am using Clorox Xtra Blue chlorine granules and Clorox 1" Bromine tablets 3 at a time.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:59:47 pm by Poppabear »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:41:39 pm »

thanks for your input!

No sir  i am using Clorox Xtra Blue chlorine granules and Clorox 1" Bromine tablets 3 at a time.

It's 99% sodium dichlor. It's the stuff they call a 6 in 1 or something but it's no different then dichlor chlorine. Walmart and lowes sell it by me. Mixing the two is fine. I use a sodium bromide as a shock for my bromine customers though I don't have many people on bromine tabs anymore.

The part that makes absolutely no sense is the sodium dichlor (Clorox stuff) would raise your ph. That's impossible as sodium dichlor is acidic so if anything it would lower the ph. What other chefs are you using regularly?

Poppabear

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 11:57:54 pm »

thanks for your input!

It's 99% sodium dichlor. It's the stuff they call a 6 in 1 or something but it's no different then dichlor chlorine. Walmart and lowes sell it by me. Mixing the two is fine. I use a sodium bromide as a shock for my bromine customers though I don't have many people on bromine tabs anymore.

The part that makes absolutely no sense is the sodium dichlor (Clorox stuff) would raise your ph. That's impossible as sodium dichlor is acidic so if anything it would lower the ph. What other chefs are you using regularly?

maybe i just said it wrong?  When it was a chlorine only tub the pH was consistently very high.  i had to use a lot of pH down to get it in acceptable range.  so i figured i would try the Bromine and it seemed to level out the pH and keep it at its lower acceptable limit.  maybe it was a coincidence?  that would make me feel better if it was because i was also confused as to how that could be happening.

on the tabs..... should i not use them or are they just kind of a thing that's getting phased out by whatever is better? 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 12:27:38 am »

thanks for your input!

Exactly, the raising of the PH threw me off.    I would use one or the other, for me chlorine as needed and shock (MPS)  once a week. keep your PH/ALK in range.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:33:49 am »
What is your alkalinity level?  Sodium Dichlor doesn't raise PH it would lower it

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 01:23:14 pm »
What is your alkalinity level?  Sodium Dichlor doesn't raise PH it would lower it

Exactly.  Furthermore:  Keeping your alk level closer to 100ppm vs 150ppm will encourage the pH to remain lower.  Higher chlorine levels will encourage higher pH test results as well...

Poppabear

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 03:29:33 pm »

Exactly.  Furthermore:  Keeping your alk level closer to 100ppm vs 150ppm will encourage the pH to remain lower.  Higher chlorine levels will encourage higher pH test results as well...

i will have to check on that when i get home.  but i feel like the Alk has not been an issue for me.  nothing is coming to mind for it being an issue.  but ill ill keep that 100ppm value in mind.   

thank everyone for the input. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »
you can mix them in very small quantities, but there is absolutely 0 reason to do so...stick with Bromine, chlorine in it's natural form (liquid) is great for pools but Bromine is much more stable in a hot water/hot tub environment. Good Luck!

Poppabear

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 12:07:27 pm »

checked today.. Alk 80ppm and pH was 6.8  tub was not used for about 24 hours and that was after 2 x 1hr filter cycles.  the bromine did not really register on the test strip tho.  i tossed in that 1/2 t spoon of chlorine and got a good reading about 30 mins after ....

so looks good to me ... right??
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:07:25 pm by Poppabear »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 12:07:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42