What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: To ozone or not to ozone that is the question  (Read 4947 times)

iggythewetcat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
To ozone or not to ozone that is the question
« on: August 07, 2004, 06:14:17 pm »
First of all thanks to all who responded to my first question. The enthusiasm in this forum is contagious (I hope it’s not something in the water!) Speaking of water the other question I had was about the ozone cleaning option on HS tubs. I paid 400 bucks for this feature and was wondering if it’s a gimmick or if it really reduces the maintenance as the sales person said. What advantage does it offer if any?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

To ozone or not to ozone that is the question
« on: August 07, 2004, 06:14:17 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: To ozone or not to ozone that is the question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 09:02:05 pm »
Hey iggy.

This can be much like the full foam/ thermal pain debate. I have never found ozone to be cost effective. I believe there are better ways of looking after your water than the need for such a strong chemical like ozone.

For the people that respond to say that ozone is wonderful, does anybody have proof as to how much ozone will reduce your chlorine needed to maintain good sanitizer levels?

I'm not saying I'm 100% right but that's based on many years in the industry and speaking to literally thousands of owners with and without ozone. I don't argue that it helps but many are lead to believe that ozone can do magic and often end up with foul water.

You have so use it. If you don't find a real value in it, don't replace it when it konks out. :)

Steve

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 10:01:03 pm »
"Whether tis to benefit or detriment"...

Ozone is a proven sanitizer and most likely will advantageously effect the sanitation of your tub although there exists no known emperical data regarding ozone in a hot tub as to its sanitation effects or cost effectiveness - neither positive or negative.

At this point in time it's all about faith - whether you believe in hot tub ozoniation or not.

(or you're own personal confident data of course...)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 10:08:53 pm by empolgation »
e

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 12:38:04 pm »
It depends on the ozone system, not all are equal. I am not very knowledgeable on the ozone used on the tub in question. I am sure Chas will have some input on this one. Ozone will not save you money. Ozonators have parts that break down that will offset chemical savings. So why do you want an ozone system?
1)So you can maintain a lower PPM of chlorine/bromine. Therefore you do not "stink" as much after using.
2)Another benefit to ozone is that it will destroy oils much morer effectively than chlorine/bromine or even enzyme cleaners. This will result in less scum line and less foaming.
Why dont you want an ozone system?
Poorly designed ozone systems will shorten the life of your hard cover 33-50% A well engineered system will trap the ozone in the plumbing lines longer and the negative gas-off effects will be minimized.

I have no imperical data to back up my observations. This is simply what I have observed and been told in my years in the biz. ;D

HotTubMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 02:37:10 pm »
Ig,  (may I call you Ig?)

You have one of the best ozone systems on your spa. It should quietly do it's job for the better part of a decade with no attention. I have relatives who..... never mind.

Anyway, it will do as the other posters have said: reduce the amount of chlorine you have to use, oxidize faster than chlorine alone, allow you to soak chlorine free (with occasional chlorine shocks and careful use of MPS).

It will reduce joint pain, inflammation, reduce fevers, and has been proven to reduce the chances of heart attack for those prone to it. WAIT - that's Aspirin. Sorry - I was good up till' this paragraph.

I need a nap.
 :-/
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

rodger

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 05:58:42 pm »
Is the HS ozone system a propietary device?

Does anyone know who manufactures their ozone system?

rodger

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 06:01:13 pm »
Here's an interesting hot tub. It uses an ozone purification system too!

Trimble Hot Springs

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 07:36:05 pm »
Is the HS ozone system a propietary device?

Yes.
Does anyone know who manufactures their ozone system?

I do.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 10:11:19 am »
Here's an interesting hot tub. It uses an ozone purification system too!

Trimble Hot Springs

Been there in winter.   What a spa! No jets though. but the view and atmosphere is great.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 10:42:28 am »

Yes.
I do.

Has anyone ever told you that you are full of witt?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 11:27:20 am »
Has anyone ever told you that you are full of witt?

LOL !! I'll take that as a compliment, thankyouverymuch!

Del makes the unit for HotSpring/Tiger River et al.

They use a much different design for our unit than their "Eclipse" line or other lines. It has a large chamber made of stainless steel and ceramics, no replacement chip is required. ;D ;D ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 11:27:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42