What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Advice! New vs. Used / Our Spa Shopping Experience Up to Now  (Read 3074 times)

Tikiking1

Sorry for the length of this--but maybe this will show some other newbies the time and thought you might want to put into a hot tub purchase!

After years of wanting a tub (and, now that I’m 50, kinda needing one a bit more), my wife and I have decided to take action. I’m having pavers removed and a 19 x 20 stamped concrete patio made around an existing 12x12 pergola.  Already have electrical ready to put in the 220 box the day I get the tub delivered and set up. I’m definitely a first time owner and need something big enough for two big people (I’m 6’4” and my wife is 6’) to stretch out; guests will be pretty rare, but we still want a tub for 4. Not really interested in bells and whistles. Don’t want a lounger. My budget goes up to about $5500 so I know I’m in either the entry level new or quality used spa group. We’ve got a couple of reputable places that sell (lots of) used spas within 100 miles, and locally we have a Jacuzzi/Nordic dealer, a Sundance/Caldera Dealer, and a Hot Spring/Freeflow dealer.

I really liked a friend’s Nordic Crown XL Spa (I’m okay with a round tub) but the Jacuzzi/Nordic dealer was a huge disappointment. Everything was at list, no Nordics on the floor(!). When I enquired about prices, I was given list prices with “a discount if you pay cash.” Discount is $300-500. When I mentioned that those prices seemed a little high, Dealer didn’t seem interested. A Crown (not an XL—standard model) was listed at 5990; I was told “maybe 5600.” Jacuzzi J-245 was listed at around $7300—I was told “no way” could the price get down to $6000. No real counter offer. Little follow up. They’re out.

The Sundance/Caldera place was better. Liked the Sundance Edison and Caldera Vanto and wet tested both. Edison had a little more room in the footwell—Vanto was a little tight there to us—but the Vanto had slightly wider, better seats. Jets were similar. Got quotes of $6495 for the Edison and $6195 for the Vanto, with everything (delivery, set up, chemicals, cover) included. Prices were still a bit above budget so we wet tested the Sundance Denali (round). Disappointed. It’s 6” smaller than a Nordic Crown, and you feel it, especially in the footwell. Denali was quoted at $4995.

Last new spa dealer was the best.  Wet tested a Hot Spot Rhythm which—yes—is the same as the Caldera Vanto. Dealer wants $5795 for hot tub, chemicals, cover, steps, and delivery …a little over budget, but workable. The interesting spa for me was the Freeflow Monterey, which is a more entry level tub. I actually liked the Monterey’s seats as well as I did in either the Vanto/Rhythm or Edison. The shell was a little coarser, but not bad at all. The jets were, however, very basic—decent power, but no variance. Footwell jet was a let down; not really usable in most seating areas. I know we’re in the market for a basic tub, but the Monterey’s jets really felt basic. It's also a seriously unattractive hot tub. But that price! $4199.

Today we saw two used tubs, one from each of the volume used dealers. Both of the companies have been in business for years and have a great track record; one is a regional distributor that works primarily with Maax Spas but also deals/has dealt with Jacuzzi and Watkins models. The other company started as a delivery and repair service that, in recent years, has branched into landscaping and new sales. Both offer 6 month warranties with their tubs.

Dealer #1 has a 2008 Hot Spring Vanguard. Looks like new. Has the 6 month warranty. Felt great in wet test—better than any of the other new tubs we saw. It’s actually a bigger tub than we want (and, no, this isn’t a “well, you‘ll appreciate it later” sort of thing…we both said, “It’s great, but kinda big for two”). Still--it’s a fabuloustub. Love the jets and the footwell. The moto-massage is great. Price is $3950, delivered, with cover and set up. No stairs or accessories.

Dealer #2 has a 2007 Dimension One Sojourn. We’re wet testing it later this week. Right now, I’ll tell you—it looks/seems perfect for us. Not as “new” looking as the Vanguard (jets are plastic trim rather than stainless steel; shell has a little more sun fading), but still looks very very good. Plenty of room (dry, at least) for two to four. We like the layout. We like the size. And we especially like the price--$3000 delivered, with steps, cover, and a cover lifter.

Questions/Thoughts: That difference of $1100-1200 is what’s hanging us up now. If we like the “feel” of D1 anything close to as much as the Vanguard, it seems like a good choice. But the Vanguard is a *better* tub—newer, better model, better condition. At what point does something that’s 90-95% as good but costs 70-75% as much become the right deal? Are we making a mistake by preferring the used tubs? And are we missing anything in our considerations—does anyone have strong opinions about D1 vs. Hot Spring or the Sojourn vs. the Vanguard?

Hot Tub Forum

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Need Advice! New vs. Used / Our Spa Shopping Experience Up to Now
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:22:40 am »
What did you get quoted on the crown XL?  I'm guessing his prices were higher because Nordic has tiered prices to the dealer. If he doesn't have any on the floor that means he brings them in 1 at a time so he is paying a premium on the price. When I order Nordic I try to order 6 at a time so I can give my customers the best price.

When looking at used Spas condition means everything. The D-1 might be more of what you are looking for but if it's not in as good shape as the other tub I would rule that out. Does the d1 come with a warranty?  Seems like you are doing your due diligence and for $5500 you should be able to find something pretty good. With your budget the Vanguard is probably your best bet especially considering the experience you had during the wet test.

Good luck in your search. For what it's worth the vanto you are looking at is priced right where it should be so the rhythm is a real good deal.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Need Advice! New vs. Used / Our Spa Shopping Experience Up to Now
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:22:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42