What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Sovereign - please help!  (Read 3552 times)

stape2000

Hot Springs Sovereign - please help!
« on: April 01, 2017, 02:06:57 am »
Serial number II 3J1659 - Sovereign 2 (early 2007)

We bought a new house and it came with the Hot Spring hot tub.  First 6 weeks were great.  No problems at all except needing a new cover.  About a week ago I went out and saw no power to the hot tub.  I checked all the breakers and they were good.  I also picked up a volt meter to check inside the 2020 board and found the heater portion where the power comes in is fine. (plenty of 120 or 240 power)  So I checked the control board and saw nothing in terms of power coming off the heater relay board.

The Hot Spring dealer in my area closed down.  I don't mind paying for someone to come for afar but would rather try all avenues before shelling out the cash.  Any ideas?

I also left the power off to the hot tub for longer than 20 minutes.  Would it be wise to check the breakers or is this a matter of "obviously the board is bad.  I know you guys can't fix problems over the internet but figure I could try to work on the tub before calling a pro in.

Again, thanks for the board.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Sovereign - please help!
« on: April 01, 2017, 02:06:57 am »

Isaac-1

Re: Hot Springs Sovereign - please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
The power relays are a known issue on the IQ2020 tubs, there are aftermarket improved relay kits available  if the relays themselves are the problem search IQ2020 on ebay

stape2000

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 09:53:12 pm »
Isaac,

Are you talking about the heater relay board.  I searched eBay and all that came up are those.  Sorry for my lack of knowledge.  New to the hot tub world. 

Thanks

stape2000

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 12:45:49 am »
I went ahead and removed the heater relay board.  There was a slight burn mark on the back.  Very very slight.  A little black smoke like substance on the back of the plastic 2020 case.  Would this cause no power to the spa?  I'll feel dumb if it turns out to be something else after ordering one.  Seemed like the heater relay board was receiving all the right power but nothing turn on or no LEDs lights on the main circuit board.

BTW this heater relay board looks like the new version...not the old. 

Thanks again.

Jake

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 01:39:33 am »
99.999999% certain it is the heater relay board.  The new ones look pretty different.  H1 and H2 for heater inputs instead of tabs.  Follow the instructions to a T on the new heater relay boards just because they have some new screws you are supposed to use and have to leave a rogue piece of tape on there.

The new ones have been bullet proof so far, the old ones were just a matter of time before they went bye bye

stape2000

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:17:11 am by stape2000 »

d00nut

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 12:52:50 pm »
okay... not so sure it's the board.  The black marks would be clear, but that is a new board and that is not very clear.  I would not buy a new heater relay board (I also saw that there was power coming from it via your volt meter... black marks normally is the sign of heater relay death.)

If you have no power to the actual board... do you not have  LEDs blinking on the right hand side of the main IQ board?  Like the HTR ON light or the LIM OK light?

If you use the Auxiliary panel inside the hot tub, can you turn the jets on from there?

stape2000

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 03:17:59 pm »
Yeah thats what I was thinking too.  No LED lights on the IQ board.  No, I don't have power to the auxiliary panel.  Any other thoughts.  If I am getting power to the heater relay but nowhere else could that mean the main board is dead.  Hope not.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:19:58 pm by stape2000 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 03:17:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42