What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water adjustments  (Read 2268 times)

Rhea

Water adjustments
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:53:11 pm »
 :-\
So there may be something out there that explains this already but I thought it might be easier to ask than search all day.

I am new to this and very confused about how to regulate my water in my hot tub.

I am having major issues with foaming and cloudy water all of a sudden. We have had the tub for about 3 weeks.

The Alkalinity is showing around 200 the pH is around 7.2 the chlorine level is showing low. I am trying to get the alkaline down without lowering the pH since the pH is at the low end. Nothing seems to move the alkaline. I thought the chlorine was supposed to help lower the alkaline but when I add chlorine it foams more. Can please explain what I am doing wrong and how to fix this?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Water adjustments
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:53:11 pm »

bud16415

Re: Water adjustments
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 05:15:00 pm »
I’m no expert by far but after a couple years and having all the similar problems everyone has. I would suggest the foaming and cloudy water might not have anything to do with the items you mentioned. It almost sounds like soapy swimsuits or body lotions etc.

No matter what make sure you keep your sanitizer level high enough and shock from time to time. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 06:06:40 pm »
:-\
So there may be something out there that explains this already but I thought it might be easier to ask than search all day.

I am new to this and very confused about how to regulate my water in my hot tub.

I am having major issues with foaming and cloudy water all of a sudden. We have had the tub for about 3 weeks.

The Alkalinity is showing around 200 the pH is around 7.2 the chlorine level is showing low. I am trying to get the alkaline down without lowering the pH since the pH is at the low end. Nothing seems to move the alkaline. I thought the chlorine was supposed to help lower the alkaline but when I add chlorine it foams more. Can please explain what I am doing wrong and how to fix this?

Thanks

Almost all new owners suffer a bit the same as you. I agree, we don't know what your bringing in the tub on your bodies or suits or drinks, kids, boy/girl friend, wife or husband or loads of use or all of those mentioned? How are you using chlorine?

Call it the honeymoon for you and your tub, its over. Drain it, clean it and get that alk down right from the get go.
Retired

Rhea

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:50:21 am »
So what is the best way to reduce the alk level?

tlippy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 12:02:11 pm »
My Spa guy gave me a one page sheet and said if I followed his advice my tub would not experience any of "the new owners" syndrome.  It's working:
1. Use Diclor - period!
2. During fill - add 2T Diclor + 1T Shock.
3. After 3 hours - adjust PH & Hardness.
4. Add 2t Diclor Per Person after each use
5. 1T Shock each Sunday.
Using his advice my tub is staying within all ranges, never a "strong" chlorine smell and is beautifully clear. 

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 12:45:44 pm »
Best way to reduce alkalinity is to add the product to a still tub:  Don't run the jets.  You'll get more out of it if you do.  Take your water to a professional and have them look at the level, test it and add the recommended amount.  You may have to add, say, 1/2 to a pound to of pH lower to reduce your pH.

Once you get it down, keep a mental not of what quantity you needed to add to get down to 80-120ppm and then when you refill, add that amount to the footwell while the tub fills.  It makes life so much easier.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:01:48 pm »
Best way to reduce alkalinity is to add the product to a still tub:  Don't run the jets.  You'll get more out of it if you do.  Take your water to a professional and have them look at the level, test it and add the recommended amount.  You may have to add, say, 1/2 to a pound to of pH lower to reduce your pH.

Once you get it down, keep a mental not of what quantity you needed to add to get down to 80-120ppm and then when you refill, add that amount to the footwell while the tub fills.  It makes life so much easier.

Yea what he said. I also found that you don't have to do it all in one day. Take your time. Alk reducer=sodium bisulphate.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:01:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42