What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for Calicoskies  (Read 2392 times)

UnderTheStars

Question for Calicoskies
« on: August 08, 2004, 06:08:28 pm »
(or anyone else with comment)  Calico- couple weeks ago you were talking about the $15 test kit from Walmart.  I bought one and would appreciate your experience on this - I'm having some trouble deciding how to read the PH test.  The Ph "shade" seems to change color a lot as I hold it in front of different (light/dark) backgrounds.  The instructions are pretty sketchy and just say "For best results, hold the test cell up to daylight."

How are you using yours?  Do you look through with the daylight shining through the test cell, or stand with the sun at your back?  All the other tests in the kit seem very definitive.  But with the PH I get a reading anywhere from 7.2 - 7.8 depending how I hold it to the light. . .And of course, PH & Chlorine are what I am most interested in.  (I think!)

Any insight for this new-tub-owner-in-training would be appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Question for Calicoskies
« on: August 08, 2004, 06:08:28 pm »

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
Re: Question for Calicoskies
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 06:55:24 pm »
I hold it up to my dining room light, which has white glass globes, so its a bright white background.  I just use the same background each time I test.  Be sure its a white wall or something, or even white paper behind it.  

UnderTheStars

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 07:39:37 pm »
Thanks!  That makes sense, I didn't think about a piece of white paper behind it (duh!)  . . .Tub is 3 days old, test kit 1 day old, and I appreciate the assist!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 08:25:01 pm »
Use a pure white background and view it in natural sunlight......... Anything else will skew the readings.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 08:25:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42