What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone Chem Procedures  (Read 2686 times)

Calisoldier83

Ozone Chem Procedures
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:27 pm »
Can someone provide ozone in depth chemical? Basically from all that I read, is that you should maintain a low level of chlorine. But there isn't any calculator for MPS which makes the method subjective. Wondering if anyone could share a recommended method in a nutshell.

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone Chem Procedures
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:27 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Ozone Chem Procedures
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:51:03 am »
You might struggle with this. There are those that feel ozone in the current application in hot tubs is 100% useless. There are others who feel it does everything (these people usually have cruddy water). And there are those in between that feel AFTER you have properly santized your tubs water, ozone can help maintain cleanliness of unused water.
Retired

Calisoldier83

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 01:44:27 pm »
You might struggle with this. There are those that feel ozone in the current application in hot tubs is 100% useless. There are others who feel it does everything (these people usually have cruddy water). And there are those in between that feel AFTER you have properly santized your tubs water, ozone can help maintain cleanliness of unused water.

Yeah I'm struggling to figure out if it's worth it. There aren't any big threads on the subject like there is on chlorine. I'd be interested if there was a guide out there for ozone like I've found strictly for chlorine. It doesn't sound like there is one out there, which makes the technology/method mysterious.

I do feel there are people out there that don't maintain proper water care, due to the fact of the heavy reliance on ozone for sanitization, which I think is dangerous and unsanitary.

Interested in the folks who use ozone/Nature2 in conjunction with proper water chemistry. Not eliminating sanitizer, but leveraging the ozone properly to allow smaller doses.

TemptingDestiny

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 02:08:49 pm »
In my experience, using the Ozone, with an Ion Cartridge, Shock and Sanitizer- we find that using multiple layers of protection helps minimize the amount of chlorine we do have to use on a daily basis. Making sure that your water is properly balanced to support the sanitizers to work at their highest potential is a must. We typically have very good success with this method.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:44:58 pm »

Yeah I'm struggling to figure out if it's worth it. There aren't any big threads on the subject like there is on chlorine. I'd be interested if there was a guide out there for ozone like I've found strictly for chlorine. It doesn't sound like there is one out there, which makes the technology/method mysterious.

I do feel there are people out there that don't maintain proper water care, due to the fact of the heavy reliance on ozone for sanitization, which I think is dangerous and unsanitary.

Interested in the folks who use ozone/Nature2 in conjunction with proper water chemistry. Not eliminating sanitizer, but leveraging the ozone properly to allow smaller doses.

03 gas does kill bacteria, that is science. Getting it in contact with the water enough becomes the problem. In municipal water systems you can have hundreds/thousands of feet of contact chamber (mixing water with the gas) And the gas can be generated in larger quantities. So it does work along with chlorine as the primary source of sanitation.

In a hot tub? Obviously things like 24 hour circulation through the generator and contact chamber of a hot tub are important and..........is it enough? Bacteria in a hot tub can grow faster than both ozone and minerals combined can kill it.

But you have it right. Let ozone and mineral supplements reduce your overall chlorine/bromine demand and maintaining your water between uses. Might cost a bit more but that may not matter to you. Make sure your ozone generator is fresh or within it's life expectancy. And your mineral delivery choice is also fresh.

Understand that chlorine or bromine is your sanitation. And minerals or 03 are supplements to that.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:07:58 am »
In my experience, using the Ozone, with an Ion Cartridge, Shock and Sanitizer- we find that using multiple layers of protection helps minimize the amount of chlorine we do have to use on a daily basis. Making sure that your water is properly balanced to support the sanitizers to work at their highest potential is a must. We typically have very good success with this method.

Very true, Tman as well, spot on..

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:32 am »
The only thing I'd add that isn't covered is that ozone is only an *assistant* to your sanitization method.  In water chemistry there are three things only:  pH, alkalinity, and sanitizer.  Everything else is either an assist too or derivative of. 

So I look at an ozone like this:  Its nice to have but it wont clear up your water.  Same as a filter- Good to have but not the thing that keeps your water fresh and clear.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:58:04 am »
Ozone in a spa is an oxidizer and has got nothing to do with being a sanitizer and that is why you need to still use either chlorine or bromine although the only reason dealers push bromine is that you will use a lot more bromine to get proper sanitizer levels as bromine consists of 30% chlorine and a lot of fillers and is also a lot harder for customers to stabilize.
When it comes to using ozone stay away from the ultra violet ones hot tub companies use as life expectancy is year at most and costly to repair..Much better off going with Carona discharge systems.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:58:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42