What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My illegal hot tub  (Read 9736 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: My illegal hot tub
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 08:00:35 am »
I However I would watch children closely in a hot tub.  Playing with their heads under water is probably not a good idea if they have long hair.

Here is a link to the article...not a lot of details.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3610925/detail.html

Thanks for your post and research. We are in our mid 40s and our only "child" is nearly 21 We only have a few friends with young children and its been my rule that no heads go below water since the day the tub was installed.  After all, its not a swimming pool.

It would appear to me that Dynasty corrected this "condition" with its 2004 model.  I'll give them credit for being a responsible company for doing so.  It's a condition I am aware of and will live with it and not seek any action against them or demand any repairs. If they do some kind of recall or retrofit I'll allow it as long as it doesn't inconvienance me in anyway.

I will however, be visiting this sales rep tonight and putting in my lunch order.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 08:00:35 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2004, 11:56:06 am »
It would appear to me that Dynasty corrected this "condition" with its 2004 model.  I'll give them credit for being a responsible company for doing so.  It's a condition I am aware of and will live with it and not seek any action against them or demand any repairs. If they do some kind of recall or retrofit I'll allow it as long as it doesn't inconvenience me in anyway.

I agree that it's good they corrected this but, even though I'm saying don't pull out the lawsuit gloves; something needs to be done on a larger scale.

These spas where sold under a UL listing claiming that they where to UL's safety standards and although you don't have children nor do you seem to have a big problem with living with it (BTW, where do I find customers like you), it could potentially be a safety issue for others that bought at the same time yet are unsuspecting. Safety recalls are not abnormal to this industry and should be done across the board by all companies when it is a hazard to the public. Your voice to the factory could be a powerful tool to others. Don’t just count on a show rep to pass this info along do it yourself, Call Dynasty….

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2004, 01:14:23 am »
I read Sturart's post, and I had to pause to think about it. Would I say the same thing if this was tub I had sold?

Yes. Safety is one of the issues I am concerned with - and I'm not being Mr. Altruistic, here: not only don't I want to ever be in the situation of having to remove a tub in which one of my customers lost somebody or almost lost somebody, but I also don't want to have to explain to our kids why we are moving into the car as the lawyers start an inventory of our household goods.

I have been part of a safety recall, one in which the company did the right thing at great expense, and I would want the same thing to happen if we found an issue like yours.

So - do call the tub maker, and you might be surprised to find out that they have a vacuum-breaking valve somewhere in the system, or that they have a spring check-valve to bias the suction to the filter or some such thing that isn't apparent upon initial inspection.

And let us know what they say.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

McKevin

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2004, 01:27:24 am »
I am curious to the many of you here who have two or more pumps, how many intakes do you have?

Coleman 706.  3 pumps, 4 intakes plus the skimmer.  Pump #1 appears to return only through the skimmer...

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2004, 01:37:22 am »
Another thing you might want to consider. If you sell your house and are leaving the tub, you may have to disclose to the new owner the known defect.  I don't know how your tub is installed but I am pretty sure if it is surrounded by a deck it becomes real property. Best example I can give you would be your house air conditioning unit.  Technically its personal property, but once you install it, it becomes real property. You might have to talk to a realtor or real estate attorney.

r100rs

Saldog

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2004, 08:19:36 am »
i have two pumps and 2 intakes for both....pump one is the filter with high and low which sucs from the two filters off the skimmer... pump 2 sucs from the two bottom intakes only.....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2004, 09:42:39 am »
So - do call the tub maker, and you might be surprised to find out that they have a vacuum-breaking valve somewhere in the system, or that they have a spring check-valve to bias the suction to the filter or some such thing that isn't apparent upon initial inspection.

And let us know what they say.

Chas, I always appreciate your technical thoughts on these matters. As a technically oriented person (just not about spas)  I appreciate your clarity and thoroughness on such matters.   After the fair is over, and my dealer is done giving me a new side panel and cover lifter (my accidental damage) I'll fire off an email asking Dynasty about this issue.  I haven't seen a Pre-2003 model, but it looks like the entire year's run of this model was configured that way.  As mentioned the 2004 models all have 3 intakes.  I'm thinking that there is no such device like you mentioned above. (but not certain) I've tried curling both of my size 12 feet around the one intake and the suction remains very strong. I couldn't trigger any suck device.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 09:44:11 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2004, 09:42:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42