What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera or Bullfrog?  (Read 7938 times)

kcj3

Caldera or Bullfrog?
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:23:09 am »
Hi there,

New to this forum and hoping someone can help.  We currently have a 13 year old Bullfrog Tadpole 251 that has been great for us - bought new.  Last month it stopped heating.   We tried to troubleshoot but ultimately had to have the spa tech come out to look at it.  He quoted 1095.00 for parts and labor.  In addition to that it needs a new cover and lifter which I think runs around 700.00 and also a few of the jet housing broke off this winter so need to be replaced. 

Given the age of the hot tub, we are worried that we could put 2000.00 into it and still other things may start to go wrong, so we started to look around at new ones.  We have looked at the Bullfrog R6L (which seems to be the replacement model of what we currently have) and also at Caldera Vanto.  The Bullfrog is about 1000.00 more than the Caldera.  The Caldera has more interior room, more jets, and 2 pumps (Bullfrog has 1). 

Does anyone have experience with either of these, what is the typical life expectancy?  Are there other brands/models we should consider?  Should we just repair what we have? 

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera or Bullfrog?
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:23:09 am »

Hottubprosne

Re: Caldera or Bullfrog?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 11:41:11 am »
The new bullfrog is going to have better pressure than the old one by at least 50 percent. The r6l has a 5 year warranty and the vanto has a 2 year. The x7 bullfrog would be a better comparison to the vanto. The x7 has 2 pumps same size and 3 year warranty. Caldera is a great brand just like bullfrog if the dealers are both good. The x7 should be priced with the vanto. Wet test them and see which ones you like. Good luck.BTW your old bullfrog should be worth something on trade.

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 12:05:58 pm »
From a dealer standpoint, I don't think many dealers would give money for a 13 year old spa that doesn't work and needs some spendy repairs.  You could probably get more for it by selling it to someone on Craigslist.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »
Yeah, the Bullfrog is $1k more because it is in another class.  As stated above, compare the Bullfrog X7 to the Vanto and that would be a 2 pump comparable system.  You'll be amazed what Bullfrog gets out of that one pump.  I guarantee the pressure is as good or better than in the Caldera, and the jets themselves will be more therapeutic.  The Vanto is an entry level type spa and the Bullfrog is in a higher tier.

mpkelley20

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:23:52 pm »
Caldera has a middle model line (paradise series) and the comparable tub there is the Salina.  Their top of the line (Utopia Series) would be the Niagara.  I looked at those before I decided on a Marquis.  But from what I was told, the base models from Caldera are not the best and probably worth moving to the middle tier.  Their other two lines are basically very similar to Hot Springs since they are made by the same parent company.  Comes down to how it feels when you are in in so wet test if you can.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 08:52:57 pm »
I think the better caldera to compare that too would be the Martinique. It's roughly the same size with the lounge. It comes standard with a second pump and a circ pump so it will be more expensive I'm guessing. What are you being quoted on for the vanto? 

kcj3

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 12:39:20 am »
Thanks everyone - we are wet testing this weekend.  On the Caldera, we were looking at the Marino and the Vanto.  I think the pricing was 5100.00 and 5400.00 but don't remember which is which.  I think the Bullfrog R6L we were looking at was around 6500.00.  We need to get something with similar dimensions to our current tub and most of the models in the higher series from Caldera will be too large for the space (and frankly more than we want to spend).  Also looked at Hot Springs/Hot Spot but didn't see anything that jumped out at us.

tlippy

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 10:36:24 am »
Please look at the Nordic Retreat MS.  Give it a fair comparison and I believe you will be impressed.  I just bought one for $5500 which included a Nordic cover and lifter + Ozone. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 01:51:52 pm »
Thanks everyone - we are wet testing this weekend.  On the Caldera, we were looking at the Marino and the Vanto.  I think the pricing was 5100.00 and 5400.00 but don't remember which is which.  I think the Bullfrog R6L we were looking at was around 6500.00.  We need to get something with similar dimensions to our current tub and most of the models in the higher series from Caldera will be too large for the space (and frankly more than we want to spend).  Also looked at Hot Springs/Hot Spot but didn't see anything that jumped out at us.

Try to wet test the same day if possible, makes it easier to compare. In the end you're looking at a couple equally good brands so let the wet test be your guide along with what kind of deal you think you're getting of course.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 03:13:11 pm »

I don't know much on pricing as far as bullfrog but those prices on the Caldera's are under a $1000 for what I sell them for.  Where are you in the country? 

kcj3

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 01:02:49 pm »
We are in he northeast.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 03:08:53 pm »
Looks like you are getting some great pricing. I'm in the Boston area and it's not worth selling those spas at that cost to me. Are they 2016 leftovers?

Sam

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 03:47:08 pm »
$6500 for the R6L is a damn good price too.  No matter which way you go, looks like you are getting a solid deal.

Good luck!

clicketyclack

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 10:22:46 am »
We are in he northeast.

Do you mind if I ask what dealer quoted you that price?  I am in NJ, and I was quoted quite a bit more for a Vanto floor model.

d00nut

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 02:24:33 pm »
We are in he northeast.

Do you mind if I ask what dealer quoted you that price?  I am in NJ, and I was quoted quite a bit more for a Vanto floor model.

I saw your other post, I do want to reassure you that your price is a great price.  The dealer the OP is getting the spa from is smoking something or they hate money and want to give something away.

$6500 for a Vanto is on the low side of what we sell it for out here on the West Coast. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 02:24:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42