What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Flo error, low speed of pump won't come on  (Read 17283 times)

Skelly81

Flo error, low speed of pump won't come on
« on: January 24, 2017, 11:18:10 pm »
I have a Nordic crown ii spa that is getting a flo error. It has a single 2 speed pump (120v) that is attached with 4 wires. The flo error goes away when I turn on the jets, and the spa begins to heat. The only options when cycling the jets button on the topside control panel is high/off as if it skips the low speed circulation setting.
I believe the problem is that the low speed of the pump will not come on for the heating/filtering cycle. I've played around with the filter cycle timer but it doesn't change anything. I would really appreciate any advice that you have. Thanks.
Pump is flo-master xp2
Pcb is gecko

Hot Tub Forum

Flo error, low speed of pump won't come on
« on: January 24, 2017, 11:18:10 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Flo error, low speed of pump won't come on
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:50 pm »
You would need to see if the pump is getting power when on low speed.  If it is getting power and not running, you have a bad pump.  If it is not getting power, you have a bad relay on the circuit board.

Skelly81

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:00:58 pm »
There is no way for me to set the pump to low speed. I only have the option on the topside panel to switch it between high and off. The manual for the hot tub says it should cycle between low, high, and off. I've read that there could possibly be a switch on the back of the pump that is stuck on high speed, but I couldn't find anything like this. Not sure what to do now.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:12:00 pm »
You need a meter. 

Or, at the very least, turn off the power to the spa, and switch the black and red wires on the back of the pump.  This will make the spa go:  off -> high speed -> low speed. 

If you push the pump button and it goes nothing then low speed, you have a bad relay.  If it goes high speed then nothing, then off again, you have a bad low speed on your pump.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 07:07:45 pm »
There is no way for me to set the pump to low speed. I only have the option on the topside panel to switch it between high and off. The manual for the hot tub says it should cycle between low, high, and off. I've read that there could possibly be a switch on the back of the pump that is stuck on high speed, but I couldn't find anything like this. Not sure what to do now.

Is it wired correctly?
Retired

Skelly81

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:58:16 pm »
Yes I believe it was wired correctly but I could send a picture this weekend to confirm that. I will also switch the low and high speed this weekend to see if that changes anything, then report back what happens.
The pump is in a very awkward position so I can't access the back of it while it's connected to the hot tub. Maybe I could remove the motor and independently test it somehow? Thanks for the help so far.

scoobywagon02

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 09:43:58 pm »
Did you just replace this pump or this the original pump?

Skelly81

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:46:44 pm »
I'm not sure if it's the original pump or not because I got the hot tub used without much background information.

scoobywagon02

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 10:52:58 am »
Ok well if you didn't replace it yourself and the low speed is not working I would bet it is toast. I have seen 2spd pumps loose the low speed which in your case will cause flow because it is the primary speed for circulation. You can test it with a multimeter to confirm but I would start looking for a pump. If you put the pump on high speed in the meantime it should heat but obviously it will not heat at all once you shut it down. I would recommend getting a complete pump assembled with wet end. If it is an older spa trying to separate the wet end could be a nightmare. The wetend could be seized and for the extra money its worth replacing. Take a picture of how it is wired before you pull it out.

Skelly81

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 02:14:29 pm »
I just switched the high and low speed wires coming from the pump on the board itself and now the hot tub cycles between off and low speed when I hit the jets button.

scoobywagon02

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »
Is the topside control made by Balboa? What control box is in the spa?

scoobywagon02

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 02:47:42 pm »
It could be a bad capacitor. There are usually two capacitors for a 2 speed pump. Based on what you are telling me the capacitor on the low speed side could be bad.

Skelly81

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 03:22:38 pm »
It has a gecko spa pack and the topside panel only says Nordic hot tubs. The pump has one capacitor that you can see encased on the outside, but I think there may be another capacitor on the inside.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 04:57:39 pm »
I just switched the high and low speed wires coming from the pump on the board itself and now the hot tub cycles between off and low speed when I hit the jets button.

Wait now..........If you switched the wires and low speed now works we have a voltage at the pump issue. If hi and low work on the pump, both capacitors are functioning. Your board is not letting low speed power get to the motor from the board.

Are you sure it is wired correctly for a 2 speed pump, from the board to the pump. Are there jumpers that are not set properly on the board? Is the board toast. You need a meter to check voltage on your pump during operation.
Retired

Skelly81

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 09:17:59 am »
Yes the board is wired correctly for the pump. What should I check with a meter? I know that the low speed isn't getting voltage at the pump because there seems to be no option to turn it on, while high speed is getting voltage during operation. How do I check the jumpers on the board?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 09:17:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42