What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Decking  (Read 3569 times)

halo1

Decking
« on: August 03, 2004, 02:44:34 pm »
Been looking at the posts on wood v composite material decking. I'm looking for decking that will stand the test of time under and around my spa.  Looked at EOS, Timbertech etc.. What's the best.  The Trex decking is a small fortune and is not even an option at this point + someone mentioned a suit against them for splitting/warping.  Any help appreciated.....

Dave

Hot Tub Forum

Decking
« on: August 03, 2004, 02:44:34 pm »

spaguyohio

Re: Decking
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 02:53:32 pm »
Trex is being sued? I'd like to see more information on that.

OnMedic

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 03:12:56 pm »
Spaguy,

Do a quick search here and you sill find the string... even better yet, her ya go!

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1091078223;start=13

CHeers

OnMedic

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 03:58:37 pm »
I've been doing a lot of research on the same...

There's more to Trex than just a law suit. For example:
- it was one of the very first composites to hit the market
- if you ever have problems with Trex that you buy and Trex is ruled against in the suit then what more protection could you ask for ;D
- how long before the other composite manufacturers are sued?

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infpressrelease/inftrexlawsuit.shtm

Composites are just that - composed of wood and plastic so you get a combination of benefits/problems from both. The biggest drawback I've found with all plastic is the amount of expansion/contraction dependent upon temperature and they look like what they are - plastic.

I've found that composite/plasitic options are limited by what's available in my area and asking people what's best is just like asking people what is the best hot tub to buy... the answer is pretty much always the one they sell or bought.
e

dino

• Tsar of the Empire!
Why use plastic
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 05:48:00 pm »
I too was going to use trex or something but then I got some samples and accidently left them out in the sun.  I could not pick them up barehanded after a few hours.

They are also not cheap.

I use Ipe a brazilian hardwood for the same cost.  They make the boardwalk in Atlantic city out of it and UNTREATED it lasts 50 years, is pervious to termites (too dense) and verry slow rot (50 years).  It is stronger and therefore needs far less support - 24 inches on center ( http://www.environmentalhomecenter.com/shop.mv?CatCode=PRODUCT&ProdCode=IRONWOOD_DECK ) environmentally preferred and looks better.

If you treat it annually with expensive rosewood oil it looks beautiful like wet mahagony.  Untreated it weathers to grey then stops no spintering or checking.

The bad part is it is very dense - it can not be powernailed and must be pre-drilled before screwing.  Cut edges have to be sanded or routered they are so precise.

But it looks b u tee ful

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 06:15:13 pm »
Anybody ever use Apeton?

That's what came on the deck of my flatbed truck, and I wondered if it would work for home decks?
??? ???
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 06:15:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42