What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Returning user  (Read 2519 times)

Chk

Returning user
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:13:30 pm »
 Hello everyone, I could use some help. I was a member of this group 10 years ago  and bought a beautiful Sundance hot tub, forgot the model but I paid $9000 for it.    suffice to say it ended up with my ex-wife and I have been inactive since then but I'm now ready to purchase another.    I learned a few things from my last purchase: I love my lounger,  cared less about the Jets then just soaking in hot water.    I'm looking for a used hot tub from a dealer or even a fairly basic one in the 4  to $6000 range. Any suggestions?   not sure if I want a two to to three person or a four to sixperson tub.  A local dealer has a jet setter for $3000, used.    Or I believe a vista for four or $5000 (I think I have the correct model name).   Thoughts? 

CHK 50 miles north on NYC.

Hot Tub Forum

Returning user
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:13:30 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Returning user
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 07:13:56 am »
Welcome back!    It sounds like you know what you want and have the knowledge to find it. In the 10 years you were gone, the industry hasn't been in a strong growth period and a lot of dealers have come and gone.   I think, with no justification that it is more of a buyer's market than it was 10 years ago, so take your time, enjoy the process ths time.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:00:26 pm »
Sundance is a fine tub. But their are several brands that are as good and everyone has a brand they feel is better depending on what they are selling or own. Used is a good way to save money but you have to make sure the quality is good from the start.

You didn't mention the year on the jet setter? Is he offering any warranty? Is he setting it up and getting it going? I'll be able to comment better on the price then.
Retired

Chk

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 07:58:11 pm »
Thank you.   I don't yet know the Jet Setter year.  The dealer offers a one year warranty and a new heater, circulation pump and cover.    I miss my tub.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:00:07 am »
IDK how new you want, but for a couple grand, or even less, you should be able to find a really nice one off Craigslist. There are a ton of free ones, and a bunch of $500 tubs usually listed. The free ones are usually older tubs and need some sort of repairs (sometimes really minor) and can be great for a DIYer who doesn't mind challenges. The $500 tubs usually need less, sometimes just a new top or something like that, maybe a pump but aren't usually as beat up. But every once in a while you'll see a hot tub only a few years old, in great condition, still being used, for like $1,500 - 3,500 that a new house buyer doesn't want with their newly purchased home. Usually you can go and test out too. I looked at a couple like this.

But if you want something even newer or nicer then, you are probably on the right track looking at dealers. Plus they can handle all the delivery and organize the electrical hook-up if you want whereas you have to manage that yourself with a CL special.

Where do you live? In cold weather climates, Arctic Spa seems to have a nice product, Bullfrog has gained a lot of popularity since you were in the hot tub market before. They do things a little different, but, that can be a plus or a minus depending on which owners you listen to. There are a number of new hot tub features, some of them gimmicks like WiFi (which people don't give high marks on), stereos with blutooth and music streaming, streams of water shooting this way and that (waterfalls can be nice) ...LED lights that do different things (can be kind of fun), remote monitoring (great idea if it 'works'), enhanced construction details like unitary composite bottoms (to keep rodents out and the bottom wood from rotting out), more contemporary siding (looks better longer), slightly improved sanitation and control strategies, more modern colors and so on, so there have been some good improvements from when you were in the 'hunt' 10 years ago. Go to a bunch of dealers and you'll get all the latest info. There are a lot of videos manufacturers have on their sites and youtube that didn't exist 10 years ago too. Fun to watch them and a good way to learn about different products.

Probably a good thing the Ex got the old tub with the faded steps. A 10 year old hot tub is like a 20 year old car. The pumps and controls will probably start flaking out about now and those older maroon hot tubs look genuinely old school by today's standards.   8)   

Let us know how you come out..

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:28:46 am by JacuzziJack »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:53:48 pm »
Nice synopsis Jack.

Make sure you don't pay for a tub you haven't seen running, if you buy used. Unless it's from a dealer and comes with a warranty. And that has value. IF.......the jet setter is worth 1500??????? (no year yet) what would you pay for a 30-90 day warranty, delivery, set up, cover, pump, expertise to get ya going? 3000 might not be outa line for, that's a nice tub. 4-5 for the vista might be a better deal depending on year and extras. Either way we need more info.

Notice I didn't say "don't take delivery." If someone wants to let you take it, set it, fill it, power it, then negotiate. Fair enough. I've done this. This is actually how I started messing with maintenance and repair on these things. -10 in Northern Minnesota tonight. I don't want to be out there anymore. I wish global warming would get here quicker.
Retired

Chk

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:57:04 am »
Thanks for the great responses. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:57:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42