What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: what chemicals to keep water clean and clear in a wood fired hot tub  (Read 3532 times)

stvee

Hi,

I have a wood fired hot tub. with a molded plastic inside, an external stainless steel heater and a sand filtration system.

The water still gets manky ( and probably full of bacteria) after a few sessions........

People use it daily and ideally i don't want to change the water more than once a week.

What chemicals do you recommend i use to keep the water clean, ideally NON chlorine as that will corrode the heater?

Many Thanks- Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: what chemicals to keep water clean and clear in a wood fired hot tub
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:25:41 pm »
Hi,

I have a wood fired hot tub. with a molded plastic inside, an external stainless steel heater and a sand filtration system.

The water still gets manky ( and probably full of bacteria) after a few sessions........

People use it daily and ideally i don't want to change the water more than once a week.

What chemicals do you recommend i use to keep the water clean, ideally NON chlorine as that will corrode the heater?

Many Thanks- Steve

If you want clean, sanitized water, you have to use chlorine or bromine. The heater is SS. It will burn up before it gets wrecked by chlorine.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:33:59 pm »
your options would be: Granular Chlorine, Bromine Tablets, Baqua-Spa/Hydrogen Peroxide, or you could plumb an in-line ozonator in and combine that with a silver ion cartridge and use small amounts of non-chlorine shock after each use

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:50:26 am »
Chlorine, in the small amounts used in hot tubs,  should have no effect on the heater.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stvee

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 05:17:07 am »
Great,
Thank you for all advice.
Steve

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 02:48:48 pm »
or you could plumb an in-line ozonator in and combine that with a silver ion cartridge and use small amounts of non-chlorine shock after each use

BFSM the problem with this is your still supplementing with chlorine. I like to reverse think it. Start figuring out chlorine and supplement with ions and oxidizer.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 02:48:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42