What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrical 60 amps - subpanel question  (Read 3192 times)

Calisoldier83

Electrical 60 amps - subpanel question
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:53:50 pm »
The guys that are hooking up our J470 are setting it up for 60amps. However, for the subpanel they want to use a 50amp GFI. His reasoning is that if the circuit trips then the 50amp breaker will not compromise the line from subpanel to the main breaker.

It sort of made sense but I'm not sure if he's wrong, because if you hit the ~50amps wouldn't it trip the breaker at the subpanel?

Trying to understand if he's trying to cut corners.

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical 60 amps - subpanel question
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:53:50 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Electrical 60 amps - subpanel question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »
The guys that are hooking up our J470 are setting it up for 60amps. However, for the subpanel they want to use a 50amp GFI. His reasoning is that if the circuit trips then the 50amp breaker will not compromise the line from subpanel to the main breaker.

It sort of made sense but I'm not sure if he's wrong, because if you hit the ~50amps wouldn't it trip the breaker at the subpanel?

Trying to understand if he's trying to cut corners.

Yes if it reaches the 50 amp breaker rating it will trip. Whats your question? Does the tub require 50 amps? Putting a 60 amp at the main panel and a 50 at the GFCI makes it a 50 amp circuit. So you paid for 10 amps at the house your not using at the tub. (60 amp breaker costs more than a 50 amp) Maybe he had a 60 amp left over from another job? Then he doesn't  have to purchase a 50 for your job? Keep in mind I am not an electrician just thinking logically.
Retired

Calisoldier83

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:36:21 pm »

Yes if it reaches the 50 amp breaker rating it will trip. Whats your question? Does the tub require 50 amps? Putting a 60 amp at the main panel and a 50 at the GFCI makes it a 50 amp circuit. So you paid for 10 amps at the house your not using at the tub. (60 amp breaker costs more than a 50 amp) Maybe he had a 60 amp left over from another job? Then he doesn't  have to purchase a 50 for your job? Keep in mind I am not an electrician just thinking logically.

Yep that was my logic as well. I called the dealer to fact check and ensure the installer wasn't trying to cost save. We're trying to achieve 60 amp operation to heat and run the motors at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:37:55 pm by Calisoldier83 »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:00:50 am »

Yep that was my logic as well. I called the dealer to fact check and ensure the installer wasn't trying to cost save. We're trying to achieve 60 amp operation to heat and run the motors at the same time.

Then a 60 amp breaker will be required at the house and a 60 amp GFCI will be required at the tub. And wire big enough to handle the 60 amp load.
Retired

Calisoldier83

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 07:28:27 pm »

Then a 60 amp breaker will be required at the house and a 60 amp GFCI will be required at the tub. And wire big enough to handle the 60 amp load.

Yup we did 6# wire for the run. 60 amp breaker and 60 amp GFCI. Modified the dip switches on the circuit board and it runs great.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:18:23 pm »

Yup we did 6# wire for the run. 60 amp breaker and 60 amp GFCI. Modified the dip switches on the circuit board and it runs great.

Must be a bunch of pumps? Seems 50 amps was always enough. Been a while since I've done any installs.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:18:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42