What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine and bromine free  (Read 2545 times)

Kiddo939

Chlorine and bromine free
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:03:59 pm »
I am trying to go chlorine and bromine free.  I have a ozonator and mineral stick.  It is my understanding that I still have to balance the water, but what chemicals do I need to use on a weekly basis?  Want to keep as much chemical free as possible.   Thank you in advance.   Oh I just purchased a pre- owned jacuzzi J315, a 3 person tub.

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine and bromine free
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:03:59 pm »

Beck0101

Re: Chlorine and bromine free
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:21:01 pm »
I am not aware of any system that allows you to get away from both bromine and chlorine.  Except for possibly salt water?  Going salt water is quite a conversion in equipment if I understand it correctly...

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:55:16 pm »
I am trying to go chlorine and bromine free.  I have a ozonator and mineral stick.  It is my understanding that I still have to balance the water, but what chemicals do I need to use on a weekly basis?  Want to keep as much chemical free as possible.   Thank you in advance.   Oh I just purchased a pre- owned jacuzzi J315, a 3 person tub.

you'll want to add roughly 1.5 tsp. per person/per use of non-chlorine shock after each use (run jets on high, keep cover open while running jets while the shock off gases) make sure you replace your mineral stick every 3-4 months, keep your pH/Alk in line, keep your filter clean, and if you find the water is not staying clean enough you may supplement with a couple tsp. of chlorine granules each week just to maintain a very minimal amount of sanitation.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 04:51:49 pm »
I am not aware of any system that allows you to get away from both bromine and chlorine.  Except for possibly salt water?  Going salt water is quite a conversion in equipment if I understand it correctly...

Salt is still chlorine when talking about most pool and some spa systems:  NaCl.  Instead of a di-chlor, tri-chlor, cal-hypo, et al you're (in essence) separating the Na from the Cl, then converting the Cl to (eventually) hypochlorous acid.

There are some other "salt" systems that use sodium bromide (commonly, but mistakenly, referred to granular bromine.  By itself its good for de-chlorinating the water but shouldn't be used as the main sanitizer in traditional bromine hot tubs unless apart of a "salt" system) that some hot tub manufacturers use.  One such unit is made by the unfortunately-named company called ISIS.

Whether it is salt from NaCl or "salt" from a bromide-source, both will have the properties associated with the more traditional form of the sanitizer, albeit with variations.

As far as the original question from Kiddo939- BullFrogSpasMN is right.  There aren't many that will be devoid of chlorine or bromine.  Mineral sticks like in-line Nature 2/Spa Frog or floating dual cartridges like Spa Frog will greatly reduce chlorine / bromine dependency but you may still need them in situations he covered above.  And if not, you're still adding Potassium Peroxymonopursulfate (MPS) which is a "chemical."

The main thing is to know what the sanitizer is only 1/3 of the equation, with pH and alkalinity being the other 2/3s.  Don't minimize that or you'll develop extensive water chemistry damage that won't be covered under your warranty and will lead to issues with jets, heaters, seals on motors (and thus the motor itself), headrests and covers, etc. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

EDIT:  Spelling and grammar.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:53:34 pm by The Wizard of Spas »

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:43 pm »
A salt system is a chlorine or bromine generator, so that will not get rid of chemicals.  Using an ozonator, mineral stick, and non-chlorine shock (MPS) can work sometimes, but it is risky.  If you get the right form of bacteria in there you can get a pretty bad rash/infection that will make you wish you had used a small amount of chemicals.  If you're going to go this route I would try using 2 mineral sticks (Nature 2 or SpaFrog brand) and make sure to shock on a regular basis.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »

Salt is still chlorine when talking about most pool and some spa systems:  NaCl.  Instead of a di-chlor, tri-chlor, cal-hypo, et al you're (in essence) separating the Na from the Cl, then converting the Cl to (eventually) hypochlorous acid.

There are some other "salt" systems that use sodium bromide (commonly, but mistakenly, referred to granular bromine.  By itself its good for de-chlorinating the water but shouldn't be used as the main sanitizer in traditional bromine hot tubs unless apart of a "salt" system) that some hot tub manufacturers use.  One such unit is made by the unfortunately-named company called ISIS.

Whether it is salt from NaCl or "salt" from a bromide-source, both will have the properties associated with the more traditional form of the sanitizer, albeit with variations.

As far as the original question from Kiddo939- BullFrogSpasMN is right.  There aren't many that will be devoid of chlorine or bromine.  Mineral sticks like in-line Nature 2/Spa Frog or floating dual cartridges like Spa Frog will greatly reduce chlorine / bromine dependency but you may still need them in situations he covered above.  And if not, you're still adding Potassium Peroxymonopursulfate (MPS) which is a "chemical."

The main thing is to know what the sanitizer is only 1/3 of the equation, with pH and alkalinity being the other 2/3s.  Don't minimize that or you'll develop extensive water chemistry damage that won't be covered under your warranty and will lead to issues with jets, heaters, seals on motors (and thus the motor itself), headrests and covers, etc. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

EDIT:  Spelling and grammar.

Just to clarify the company itself IS NOT called Isis....it is called BluWater Technology, based out of Colorado.  At one time they had a system named "isis" which of course was named before that name became popular for very unfortunate reasons of course.  Immediately they changed the name and are still in the process of "cleaning up" anything with that name on it on the web.  We do very well with their product, just had dinner with the owner down in New Orleans a couple weeks back, great people, great company and a great product if installed and orientated properly.  Cheers!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 05:50:31 pm »
Chlorine is used to sanitize drinking water. At the right levels it is proven as the most reliable, efficient, effective and safe form of sanitation. We use it to wash our clothes, brush our teeth and drink it from our faucets if your on a municipal water system or any sanitized water system.

"At the right levels" was the key in all that. It can be almost zero when you soak if done right.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 05:50:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42