What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Let's Talk Covers  (Read 2272 times)

stevebass

Let's Talk Covers
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:21 pm »
It's been a long time since there's been a discussion about covers -- and I'm due to buy one soon.

I have a Sunstar which came with the tub. We got it in -- ready? -- 1998 and only recently has it shown signs of wear. (There was water inside after the last big rain, the top has some minor holes, and some of the skirts are stiff.)

I'm looking at Sunstar, but I'm guessing they're very expensive and only available form dealers.

There are seemingly dozens of distributors online, but it's difficult to know who's selling what.

The one I think may be okay is BeyondNice. They claim to manufacture the own covers. The order page ask lots of questions (I think that's a good thing). Most of the reviews seem legit and most are positive.

I'm hoping for help, ideas, and suggestions.

--Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Let's Talk Covers
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:21 pm »

mpkelley20

Re: Let's Talk Covers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 01:33:11 pm »
If your original cover lasted that long, I'd stick with that assuming it is the same.  I've been told 5-8 years on covers these days so even saving some money now won't matter if it only lasts a fraction of the time.  Of course, the company that made your original cover might have switched to a different material now that doesn't work as well....

As for where to buy it....while online sellers can be cheaper, I still prefer the local shop since they can install it for you (if it needs install) and if anything comes up with it for warranty purposes, they can better deal with it. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 02:12:55 pm »
Sunstar is where I order my covers from. I think they only sell to dealers but they do make a great cover. Is your tub inside?  That's a long time out of any cover. I know a number of hot tub manufacturers use sunstar including Marquis which is a brand I sell. That is how I got introduced to them and I'm very happy with there customer service and quality of there covers. Just remember with hot tub covers you get what you pay for.

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 02:18:13 pm »
Sunstar makes one of the best. 18 years is an incredibly long life, average life of a cover is more in the 4-8 year range in my experience.

mpkelley02: FYI all Marquis OEM covers are made by Sunstar

stevebass

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:24:01 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone.

My spa's outdoors and not under a canopy or covering. For the first few years, I diligently glopped on a protectant, but haven't in a long while.

My sense is that Sunstar's quality, like everything else nowadays, has decreased. Though it's true that having a local dealer to talk with is better than an online customer service person 3000 miles away. 

@Hottubguy: What'd you pay for a sunstar last time you bought one?. My cover's 54x85 with 7.5 corners for a Marquis spirit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:24:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42