What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please help with the infamous FL1 error code  (Read 5306 times)

hlydon

Please help with the infamous FL1 error code
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:20:08 am »
I bought a house that has a 2009 Sundance Hamilton hot tub. This is my first hot tub, and unfortunately it has an FL1 error code that appears sometimes immediately after restart or sometimes after several minutes--one time it heated all the way to 100 degrees before displaying the FL1 error.

I hired a hot tub repair person to fix it. He doesn't seem to know what the problem is. After the error code started and before he looked at the hot tub, I drained and cleaned it. I put in new filters. I don't think I caused an airlock problem refilling it. The repair person doesn't think that is the problem either. He replaced the flow switches. The repair person said I should replace the circulation pump. It runs, but he said it might just be overheating at times causing it to shut off and thus the hot tub displaying the FL1 error code. He wants to charge $350 plus labor. A new circulation pump only costs $160.

As I noted, the FL1 error doesn't appear at any consistent time. Do you think the problem is the circulation pump? Or is it more likely the circuit board?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Hot Tub Forum

Please help with the infamous FL1 error code
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:20:08 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Please help with the infamous FL1 error code
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 10:52:03 pm »
I bought a house that has a 2009 Sundance Hamilton hot tub. This is my first hot tub, and unfortunately it has an FL1 error code that appears sometimes immediately after restart or sometimes after several minutes--one time it heated all the way to 100 degrees before displaying the FL1 error.

I hired a hot tub repair person to fix it. He doesn't seem to know what the problem is. After the error code started and before he looked at the hot tub, I drained and cleaned it. I put in new filters. I don't think I caused an airlock problem refilling it. The repair person doesn't think that is the problem either. He replaced the flow switches. The repair person said I should replace the circulation pump. It runs, but he said it might just be overheating at times causing it to shut off and thus the hot tub displaying the FL1 error code. He wants to charge $350 plus labor. A new circulation pump only costs $160.

As I noted, the FL1 error doesn't appear at any consistent time. Do you think the problem is the circulation pump? Or is it more likely the circuit board?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I would try the pump before the board.  Pumps easier. Has it ever been replaced? 7 years?
Retired

hlydon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:00:09 pm »
I assume the pump hasn't been replaced before. Would a pump cause intermittent FL1 errors? Thanks.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 06:32:46 am »
I assume the pump hasn't been replaced before. Would a pump cause intermittent FL1 errors? Thanks.

Yes.
Retired

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 09:01:45 am »
Is the circulation pump running when you have the FL1 error code?

hlydon

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 12:44:57 pm »
I'll double check if the pump is running when the error code appears. Offhand, I think the pump is not running when the code appears. There appears is no water movement or sound that indicates the pump is running when the code appears. I know it definitely is running when no code.

hlydon

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 08:38:45 pm »
Error code comes on and the pump is off. I think the two occur at the same time.

I assume the pump is off because I no longer hear any water moving.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 06:46:46 am »
Error code comes on and the pump is off. I think the two occur at the same time.

I assume the pump is off because I no longer hear any water moving.

And it's programmed to run for 24/7?
Retired

hlydon

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 08:54:32 am »
It is set on the factory default setting.

The error code is constant now. Cutting the power and turning it back on does not even temporarily clear the error, so the hot tub pump does not run. Or maybe it is the reverse--the pump doesn't run so the error code displays. I'm still not sure if the pump has gone bad causing the error to display or something else is causing the error and shutting the pump off.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 01:56:56 pm »
Error code FL1 is present:

Pump not running--Is it getting power?  If so, you have a bad pump.  If it is not getting power, you have a bad circuit board.

hlydon

Re: Please help with the infamous FL1 error code (FIXED)
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 06:38:58 pm »
I replaced the circulation pump. I bought it on Amazon for $160. Local repair guy's price was $350 plus labor.

I works just fine now. It heats up to full temperature, and I have not had an error on it for week.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Please help with the infamous FL1 error code (FIXED)
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 06:38:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42