What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vinyl or Mesh on underside of cover ....which is best??  (Read 3371 times)

JacuzziJack

Vinyl or Mesh on underside of cover ....which is best??
« on: November 03, 2016, 03:04:30 pm »
I was set to order a cover with vinyl on the bottom-side of the cover (with a drain gromet), as that's what my previous Sunstar cover had, which lasted about 6 years. I asked the lady what they see ...and based on that, how would she order a cover if she were doing it for herself ..money being no object. She said she'd order a cover with mesh underneath instead because the vinyl can still trap some water (even with a drain gromet), and some of that water can and does end up causing problems and corrosion at the hinge later on. I think I read an Amazon review where other owners said just the opposite -- the vinyl was way to go underneath, but that was a while ago and don't remember their reasoning. I live in WI, was going to order a 5-3 taper cover, 2# foam.

Does the vinyl layer underneath help prevent condensation on the underside of the foam during the winter better than the mesh ..or is it mostly just for appearance? I guess, since she works for the mfgr and was talking me out of an upgrade ...and presumably the mfgr would see and hear a lot of results and complaints, maybe the concensus might be that overall the mesh prevents more problems than the vinyl ...just speculation. Curious what you all have experienced or seen with your covers??

Thanks,

JJ
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:14:48 pm by JacuzziJack »

Hot Tub Forum

Vinyl or Mesh on underside of cover ....which is best??
« on: November 03, 2016, 03:04:30 pm »

JacuzziJack

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Vinyl or Mesh on underside of cover ....which is best??
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:55:25 am »
Those that sell mesh, will always tell you it's better. The only advantage to mesh it is costs far less, making the manufacturer and retailer more $.

"Condensation" is irrelevant and is going to be present on either material. Condensation also has NO negative effect on the cover. Only one is going to help protect the cover from chemical fumes, which is what eventually deteriorates the cover.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JacuzziJack

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:16:01 pm »
The top mfgr I was referring to sells tops with "both" mesh and vinyl undersides, the vinyl is an upcharge. Wondering why they would recommend going with the less expensive option ...indicating they see better results with the mesh underside? The tops with vinyl undersides generally have drain grommets for drainage, so some chemical could 'breathe' through that hole as well.

Could it be that a vinyl underside helps keep the topside vinyl in place better? In other words, would the mesh allow the topside vinyl to skate around more than a fully-sewn vinyl underside?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 10:37:07 pm »
Top manufacturer? Riiiiight

Breath through the hole? Ok...so like0.0001%, maybe

Neither has any effect on the topside vinyl.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JacuzziJack

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »
Top manufacturer? Riiiiight

top mfgr .....meant, manufacturer of hot tub cover.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42